PDA

View Full Version : Shane Acorn Named Raiders Team Chaplin

Dwight Schrute
02-21-2008, 06:29 PM
http://www.raiderhockey.com/news/releases/index.html?article_id=132
Shane Acorn Named Raiders Team Chaplin
02/21/2008 2:52 PM
Prince Albert, Saskatchewan – The Prince Albert Raiders are pleased to announce that Pastor Shane Acorn of the Abundant Life Community Church has joined the organization as Team Chaplin. Acorn, who is a member of Hockey Ministries International, will work with the players of the Western Hockey League organization in many off-ice aspects of life.
Acorn, 32 is originally from Prince Albert and tried out for the Raiders in the 1990-91 season as a 15 year-old. His family was a billet family for the Raiders housing the MacAmmond brothers (Dean & Lee.J), Donovan Hextall and Graham Garden among others

this was something anholt wouldnt allow. basically it gives the team a cousellor, and such. team thinks that might have come in handy last season after a couple of players has friends pass on during the season. i know shane and he isnt a pushy bible thumper kinda guy. every other team in the dub has one

whlhockeyfan13
02-21-2008, 09:14 PM
If he can help anyone out then why not have him. Good to see a move that can potential help some of the players. They all have their personal stories and challenges. ANd if they don't need him that is ok too.

eye4aneye
02-21-2008, 10:17 PM
sometimes one just needs to talk, and your team mates coach etc is not the one to be confiding in. Good move on behalf of the members of the Raider Organization. I wonder why Anholt never wanted this type of help?

Raiderfan8
02-22-2008, 05:30 PM
I had the pleasure of working with Shane in La Ronge with the Icewolves back in my playing days! He will be a great asset to the team!

eye4aneye
02-22-2008, 05:35 PM
:thumb:
I had the pleasure of working with Shane in La Ronge with the Icewolves back in my playing days! He will be a great asset to the team!
:thumb: :thumb:

TheSnowman
02-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't know Shane at all but I think he will have a very positive impact on this team. Good move by the Raiders.

dubnut
02-23-2008, 03:01 AM
I too think it is a great idea. Different people meet different needs. I agree that there are some things you don't want to talk about to a coach, another player, your trainer. A chaplain will give the guys a person to confide in when tough times happen. Better to have one already on staff than try to find someone during a crises.

Not every team has one. I believe the Sutters and Anholt have the same reservations about team chaplains. I don't think Red Deer has one and I don't know if all the other teams do.

Good move.

Dwight Schrute
03-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Getting in the hockey spirit
Pastor Shane Acorn joins Raiders as team chaplain, offering variety of support

RYAN BOULTON
The Prince Albert Daily Herald

The Prince Albert Raiders have welcomed Pastor Shane Acorn of Hockey Ministries International into the fold. Herald photo

The Prince Albert Raiders are looking to a higher power as the once-mighty junior hockey franchise continues to reinvent itself.

And while they aren't doing anything the rest of the WHL - and for that matter the Canadian Hockey League - hasn't already put in place, the addition of a team chaplain is something new in Prince Albert.

Last month the Raiders welcomed Pastor Shane Acorn of the Abundant Life Community Church into the fold.

A member of the Hockey Ministries International group that works with hundreds of amateur and professional teams in North America and Europe, Acorn is a born-and-bred Prince Albertan. And since returning to the city, he has let it be known his services were available.

So when the franchise shook things up earlier this season and moved head coach Bruno Campese into the general manager's role, the opportunity presented itself to reach out and help the green and gold he grew up watching - and even trying out for as a 15-year-old.

And while their relationship is still in its infancy, it looks to be a natural fit from all perspectives.

"We have been waiting for the right opportunity to do this and it's great that I can come in and offer whatever I can bring," said Acorn, who plans to be around the Art Hauser Centre on a semi-regular basis while also offering other services as part of monthly faith-based seminars to any interested players.

"We approached Donn Clark and Peter Anholt before and it wasn't the right time, the door wasn't opened. But when Bruno came in, we contacted him and it's been a perfect fit."

Although he flies under the HMI umbrella, Acorn said his purpose in being around the team is, first and foremost, to give whatever support is needed. Whether dealing in religious terms or everyday life issues, Acorn knows there are many things that can affect players at this age.

"While we talk about things like perseverance, dedication and work ethic from a faith-based perspective during the seminar, it's much more than that," said Acorn, who had Raider players as roommates while growing up as his family billeted Dean and Ian McAmmond and Donevan Hextall, among others. "Basically, it's a different approach, a different viewpoint, and just someone different who isn't their coach who they can talk to."

Open to almost anything he can do to help, Campese feels Acorn's addition is nothing but positive. And while he has a religious background, he offers much more for the players to take advantage of.

"It's awesome," said Campese. "Not only is he a pastor, but being an ex-billet and being in the hockey community, he's been a player and knows a bit of what these guys are dealing with as players, being away from home," said Campese. "He's good at what he does and has a background in hockey. He's already made one presentation with our guys and it's something that I think in the long run is going to be very beneficial. He deals with faith-based issues of discipline, work ethic, perseverance, all stuff that is relative to what we do on the ice every day."

A dedicated Catholic growing up, Jordan Trach already sees the benefits of Acorn being around the team filtering down, and says it's something everyone can make use of.

"It's unbelievable," said Trach. "He's going to do a lot of things. It's something new they are trying and something the organization hasn't done for a long time.

"Even though he has a faith background, it really doesn't matter. He is somebody that you can talk to, and a lot of times you need those guys around."

rboulton@paherald.sk.ca