PDA

View Full Version : It's Only Just Game

WestLEAFfan
02-22-2008, 02:10 PM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=119555&Itemid=564

Cyr playing with heavy heart
(Sports) Thursday, 21 February 2008, 21:28 PST
JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

The Prince George Cougars are not the Vancouver Giants -- playing without a goalie is not an option.

The system-steeled Giants are noted for giving up very few shots, and even fewer scoring chances, so much so it’s been jokingly said they could play without a goaltender and still win. That suggested, goaltender Tyson Sexsmith is apparently the most-overrated player in the Western Conference. That was stated in votes sent in to the Tri-City Herald’s Best of the West Poll by players, coaches and team personnel in the west.

To win, the Cougars need goaltending. Good goaltending. Focused goaltending. That’s why there was a legitimate question as to who was going to man the pipes when the Cats play host to the Edmonton Oil Kings tonight at CN Centre.

The answer is Real Cyr, who got bad news on Wednesday that his grandmother had passed away. Cyr played with a heavy heart but still made 26 saves in a 6-1 loss in Seattle. The team is looking to fly Cyr home to Victoire, Sask., on Saturday so he can be with his family.

“I’m so proud of Real,” said Cougars general manager Dallas Thompson.

“He had come to us before the game, when we were in Portland, and said something was going on at home and that it was a possibility his grandmother could pass away and he found out before the game and told us about it after the game. I’m proud of him for the effort he put in under pretty tough circumstances, but that’s the kind of kid he is. That’s just an indication why, when we talked about the 20-year-olds at the trade deadline and the kind of kids they are, we have those guys here. I couldn’t be prouder of him.

“I talked to his parents (Thursday) and the prayers are Monday and the funeral is Saturday. He’d be back here Wednesday, that type of arrangement.”

The Cougars play host to the Giants for a doubleheader next Friday and Saturday.

For tonight, Cyr’s backup, on the bench to cover an emergency only, will be local goaltender Marcus Beesley, a 15-year-old first-year midget who has been with the Coast Inn rep team.

Cyr’s netmate, Ian Curtis has been out three weeks with a rotator cuff injury -- the kind of problem that would knock a baseball pitcher out for months. Wright, also 17, served as Cyr’s backup the last five games, but he has duties this weekend with the major midget Cariboo Cougars and a pair of games in Victoria.

Wright drove back with the WHL team after Wednesday’s game in Seattle to attend classes on Thursdsay, then is on a bus headed south again today with the major midget team -- piling up the frequent bus miles.

Joel Danyluk, who has spent the season with the Yorkton Terriers of the SJHL, came in for four games earlier this month, starting and losing a game in Everett, but the 17-year-old is preparing for the SJHL playoffs, which start tonight with Yorkton facing the Estevan Bruins.

“Once we get through (tonight’s) game, we have a week off and hopefully (Curtis) will be ready to return next week,” said Thompson, who will be at the B.C. Winter Games in Kimberley/Cranbrook this weekend to scout 1993-born players along with Wade Klippenstein, the team’s assistant GM/assistant coach.

“Whether that happens or not, we don’t know. We’ll look at (Danyluk’s) situation in the middle of next week, and we’ll have a better idea on him and some of the other guys we could bring in.”

Cyr has been a workhorse, starting the last six games, five of them on the road, and facing 251 shots in that period -- an average of 41.8 per game. Cyr has been the starter in eight of the last nine games, and the month of February has been his best of the season. The overager has been more consistent, in better control of rebounds, and has a 3-5-1 mark with a 4.01 goals-against average and .900 save percentage. Those figures are better than his season-long statistics of 10-24-3, 4.32 and .881.

The Cougars still have Tommy Tartaglione, who played half the season in Prince George, on their list, and they nearly brought him in for road games this week in Portland and Seattle. Tartaglione is about to become busy with the BCHL playoffs with his new team, the Surrey Eagles, but Thompson didn’t close the door on bringing the unconventional 19-year-old back to the WHL either to finish off the last few weeks of this season, or even to next fall’s camp.

“I’d bring Tommy in, sure, we’ve talked to him, and he was at both of our games in Vancouver (over the past two weeks),” said Thompson, noting that Patrick Magnusson is the lone overage candidate on the active roster.

“We didn’t foresee all this trouble coming, but we kept him on our list for a reason. You never know what could happen next year. Nothing is impossible.”

n Expect former Cougars draft pick Adam Basford (sixth round, 2004) to make his WHL debut with the Giants next weekend. The 18-year-old winger has left Surrey to join the Giants, but Vancouver Province reporter Steve Ewen wrote on his blog Thursday that Basford, whose BCHL suspension for off-ice problems has been lifted, is not slated to play for the Giants this weekend.

REAL, the whole COUGAR organization and all its fans are behind you in these trying times. It's only a game and everyone understands your family will always come first. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

smileyjones
02-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Tough times for Real and his family. All of us cougar fans are thinking of them.

TwoBits
02-23-2008, 06:58 PM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=119761&Itemid=564

Oil Kings make most of first visit
(Sports) Friday, 22 February 2008, 22:52 PST
JIM SWANSON Citizen Sports Editor

Cyr, who lost his 25th game of the season to sit third in the WHL in that dubious department, behind only Portland’s Kurtis Mucha and Braden Holtby of Saskatoon, was playing his second game since getting news of a death in the family. Noella Chretien, Cyr’s maternal grandmother, passed away on Wednesday, and Cyr found out just prior to a game in Seattle.

Cyr leaves today for Saskatchewan. The funeral is set for Tuesday.

“I tried to push it to the side and focus on the game, and that was a little tough,” said Cyr, who finished with 45 saves.

“I’m here to play hockey and I tried my best both nights. Obviously, it didn’t go as well as I would’ve liked. If we’d have gotten a couple breaks early, things might’ve gone better for the boys.”

Cyr’s coach showered his overage goaltender with praise, not only for his play Friday but for how he carries himself as an individual.

“I give Real Cyr all the credit in the world, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him for what he was able to do in Seattle and (Friday),” said Schoneck. “It’s not easy. He battled, and he played pretty well both nights. You certainly can’t fault him.”

Cyr’s situation even brought positive words from Edmonton’s coach, Steve Pleau.

“I know their goaltender is going through a tough time right now and he showed a lot of courage out there,” said Pleau. “We were fortunate to get a good start and jump on them early.”

I was shocked to see quotes from Real, he remains classy and professional even in these very tough times.

I'm glad to see the organization is flying him home to be with his family.

the flying moose
02-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Cyr very easily could have said he couldn't play because of the death of his grandma and that would have been understandable but he knows how lacking the team is in the goaltending department and even though we are not making the playoffs he still put the team before himself.

Cyr is a class act all the way and whoever gets him next season is extremely lucky.