PDA

View Full Version : Too Little Too Late

localguy
02-22-2008, 11:28 PM
A great third period by the Canes, unfortunately the first 40 weren't that good. Great effort by Clark in the Red Deer goal, thought he should have been first star. Hopefully things will play out a little differently tomorow.

moon
02-22-2008, 11:40 PM
I'll assume that they thought today was going to be a walk in the park after some great performances against better teams.

The Canes were very good from the Rebels blueline and out and even great with the puck inside the Rebels zone but it seemed they totally lacked a killer edge once they got in scoring chances.

Way too many shots from the point, when they finally decided to shoot and way too many attempts to make the perfect play. The 3-4 missed empty nets didn't help either.

Boychuk looked like he was playing against Pee Wee's out there at times but once he skated around everyone he was way too passive with the puck.

Could be a game that hurts us in the standings and that they wished they had back. Hopefully it is a wake-up call that from now on they have to play to win all the time and cannot afford to be passive or cute with the puck.

O&C
02-23-2008, 12:22 AM
sigh* Very frusterating game to watch. After beating four very good clubs the effort tonight was far from spectacular. The team looked like they abandoned the reason they won the other games and tried to put on a show. They clearly underestimated the Rebels, who did get out played, but were probably the harder working team in the long run. The Canes were always making one to many moves and going for things that were way more complicated then needed. Boychuck's goal is the perfect example of what they needed to do all night.... crash the net. It has brought them success to this point in the season and tonight they got away from the speed and crashing and tried to use dekes and complicated passes to score "pretty" goals.

I hope they pull out a win tomorrow but no matter what this weekend is a loss to me now. These two games should have been four points no matter what, and they let them slip. I take no credit away from the Rebels, they played a fine road game, but the Canes really lost the game on their own accord...

Anybody think the PP could use some tuning.... we got embarassed on our 5 on 3

sbtatter
02-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Hey, which 2 lines and which 4 defenceman are playing the best for you guys at the moment? I'm still hoping we don't have to play you or the Hitmen in the 1st round.....

O&C
02-23-2008, 01:01 AM
:eek: totally off topic here... but that was your 666th post....

sbtatter
02-23-2008, 01:08 AM
:eek: totally off topic here... but that was your 666th post....
Yikes, I posted a couple more to get off that number!!!!

moon
02-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Hey, which 2 lines and which 4 defenceman are playing the best for you guys at the moment? I'm still hoping we don't have to play you or the Hitmen in the 1st round.....

I would say the top two lines have been the best:

Boychuk-Fadden-Scevior
King-Bancks-Hotson

With: May, Wright, Cbisa and Versteeg as the best defensemen. But now that Craige is back I would expect him to take that last spot form Versteeg. Yadlowski has also really impressed lately for a young kid.

sbtatter
02-23-2008, 09:58 AM
I would say the top two lines have been the best:

Boychuk-Fadden-Scevior
King-Bancks-Hotson

With: May, Wright, Cbisa and Versteeg as the best defensemen. But now that Craige is back I would expect him to take that last spot form Versteeg. Yadlowski has also really impressed lately for a young kid.
When you played here I remember thinking that you probably had the best 2 line combo's I've seen this season, and your PP was deadly. Wright is the sort of defenceman that every WHL team wants to build their team around. If we had to play you in a 7 game series we'd have to hope that your top lines wear down over time, but so far this season, they haven't. I'd rate the Canes as the biggest surprise (to me) in the Eastern Conference, well, I also thought the Blades would make the playoffs!!
I haven't figured out who you're going to keep for overagers next season, but you don't have a pile of 19 year olds (unlike Regina) so I assume you'll be strong again.

canes77
02-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Our GM says that next year we should have a better chance than this yr...but I personally think this yr we will have just as good as a chance. Fadden and Wright are both 19 and have been drafted, usually that means they wont be back as overagers, but we'll see...heres hoping for an exciting rest of the season!!

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Our GM says that next year we should have a better chance than this yr...but I personally think this yr we will have just as good as a chance. Fadden and Wright are both 19 and have been drafted, usually that means they wont be back as overagers, but we'll see...heres hoping for an exciting rest of the season!!
It is hard to say we will be better next year. So many things come into play. Number one is who we get back as 20's. Also injuries, chemistry, what other teams bring to the table, and what new 16 and 17 year olds bring to the game have a huge effect. Also will Carter Ashton turn into that top notch center.
We might get Wright back next year. Look at May, a good 20 year old who is still in the league. Not a knock on Wright as defensively he is very good, but his lack of skating may make it tuff for him to make the AHL next year. I for one would love to see him back next year. He is so much better than most people give him credit for. Don't forget Maniago will be a 20 year old that seems destined to return next year. Fadden I think is gone to Tampa's farm system. We should be as good next year but better is a crap shoot.
The one intangible, and this is not as long a shot as you think, is Dwight King could, and I said could, make the L.A. Kings roster next year.

loudi94
02-24-2008, 04:03 PM
King "could" make LA next year, but most likely will be sent back because of the strong team we have. Depending on how far we go this year, we could be poised for a big run next year and sometimes that experience is better than playing too early with the big club.

localguy
02-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Luckily for us, LA has a lot of young talent already in teh system, so, unfortunately for him, luck for us, we could see him back. Let's not forget that there a several 18-19 year old first rounder in teh show as well, meaning that depending on who drafts Zach, he could possibly be gone too. Anyting is possible, so until next year rolls around, I am just going to enjoy what we have right now, an unbeliveably talented group of kids doing what hey do, entertaining us all and giving us something to be excited about. (wow, that was a really long sentence)