PDA

View Full Version : Tigers 3 @ Broncos 2 OT

Big Ern
02-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Tonight's game still stings. The first 20 minutes were disappointing, the OT winner was disappointing, and this one (for me anyway) has that terrible feeling of loss to it. Even though the Broncos abseloutely dominated that third period and came close to winning the game with seconds to go, they didn't do so for the full 60 minutes. Again, they dominated in the final 22 minutes or so, but the end result leaves me and I'm sure a lot of other people with a sinking feeling. Losing in OT just sucks...that's all.

Our guys had some problems early, and throughout the first and second periods. It must be the mental end of things...these games are of utmost importance the way the Eastern Conference standings are shaking down, and you could clearly see that some sticks out there were being held very tightly. There was not enough offense generated in the first two periods. (better in the second but still not sufficient) Let's just say the Broncos really were not ready from the get-go. Defenseman were making some odd mistakes as well...and the transition game was nothing to brag about either for two periods. Of course the play of the Tigers factors into all of this. They were very VERY good defensively through two periods of play...and from the first goal they scored, started playing a trap type of hockey. It's boring, but it helps in the win column, and that's the bottom line. And of course some goalies love to play against Swift Current...Holfeld has never really been hot versus the Broncos, but tonight he was. He stood on his head in the third period to save the game.

Let's talk about the positives now...how about the character of our team to battle back from a two-goal deficit again? You have to like that. Unfortunately, it didn't go their way this time. Codey Eakin, Matt Tassone, Levi Nelson, and Mark Guggenberger all had fantastic outings. Justin Dowling was pretty good as well. On defense, Wilson was the highlight guy..he played extremely well tonight. The Broncos ended up outshooting the opposition 38-27. I guess some you win, and some you lose.....

Perhaps the Broncos should quit looking at the standings, and get better results.....in regulation time. Lately, they've no doubt played pretty well. This is a REALLY good team...they just seem to be a bit nervous at the start of games lately...seemingly due to what's at stake every night. If they take it one game at a time and win their share, they'll end up in a good position...Dean Chynoweth has said exactly that all season. It continues on Tuesday with the Blazers in town......

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

EXTRAS:

-Dale Weise is especially DOMINANT every time we play the Tigers. Put him in the line-up tonight, and I think we win 4-2. No kidding here.

-Tyler Ennis is a gem. He's the new Darren Helm for the Tigers.

-there were some missed calls on the Tigers, including an obvious one in OT....but I don't think anyone can bash Nathan Weiler. He's considered the best referee in the league currently, and if you start complaining about this guy, you're up sh*t creek. Simply put, he's the best...you can't b*tch about him.

-I was a bit disappointed with the crowd for a Friday night versus the Tigers. The numbers were there at 2450, but not the noise...really. It goes to show the rivalry between these two teams is cooling off since the Broncos' move to the Eastern Division. Perhaps a playoff series would change that back to what it was for so long........

-no more Broncos' hockey 'till Tuesday. Rare, but possible.

-enjoy your weekend!

Ern

stick boy
02-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Tell me your kidding that you thought Guggenberger had a fantastic game. The rebound on the second goal had Bantam AA written all over and the OT winner was horrid.

Tassone, Nelson, Dansereau were absolutely terrific tonight. Some of our shifts on the blueline were not. Very entertaining game, thought Felde or Eakin were going to end it for sure.

Nice to see a game played 5 on 5, thanks Wieler.

Scout
02-23-2008, 07:28 AM
SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

Tyler Ennis scored his 36th goal of the season in overtime to earn the visiting Medicine Hat Tigers a 3-2 win over the Swift Current Broncos on Friday night.

The Broncos fought back from a 2-0 deficit with goals from Matt Tassone and Levi Nelson but were unable to pull ahead in a dominant third period in which they outshot the Tigers 18-6.

The Broncos nearly ended the game in regulation when Erik Felde broke in one-on-one and fired a puck just over the crossbar. The rebound ricocheted back over the bar and onto the stick of a surprisingly open Cody Eakin who deked to his backhand and fired a puck over a Tigers’ defender and off the post with only 25 seconds remaining in the contest.

Broncos’ netminder Mark Guggenberger stopped 24 of 27 shots to lower his record to 5-3-1-0.

Ryan Holfeld improved to 21-8-3-1 with 36 saves on 38 shots for the Tigers.

The Tiger failed to score on two powerplays, while the Broncos connected once on a pair of man-advantages when Matt Tassone scored his 16th goal of the season and first on the powerplay 13:55 into the second period.

Forward Levi Nelson was clearly disappointed to surrender the extra point to a Conference rival.

“Yeah definitely, it is not acceptable. The whole third period was our best period but it was too little too late. We worked hard but they got the lucky break there in overtime and got the two points.”

Nelson admitted that meetings with the Tigers usually equal an entertaining affair.

“It is always a north-south game. They have a lot of quick forwards like Ennis, Bosch, and Todd. They are one of the top lines in the league. They can move the puck real well and it just pushes us to play our best hockey and to get us playing our game. For the most part I thought that we held their line off the score sheet pretty good tonight but they got a lucky one in overtime there.”

Nelson, along with Matt Tassone, and Keegan Dansereau, were unquestionably the best Broncos trio in the contest.

“First and foremost Dansereau is a really good skill player out there, with good hands and is always looking to make those nice plays. Along with Tassone who has a little bit of grit and is always working hard. He likes to get in on the forecheck and throw the body. I like to play the body and a little bit off both with hands and grit. We complement each other, there is some good chemistry, and we have been playing real good lately.”

The Broncos fall to 35-22-1-5 and are now tied for sixth with Brandon in the Eastern Conference with 76 points.

The Tigers move ahead of the Broncos with a 35-19-5-2 record and into fifth spot.

Tuesday the Bronco will host the Kamloops Blazers.

d-man
02-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Tell me your kidding that you thought Guggenberger had a fantastic game. The rebound on the second goal had Bantam AA written all over and the OT winner was horrid.

Tassone, Nelson, Dansereau were absolutely terrific tonight. Some of our shifts on the blueline were not. Very entertaining game, thought Felde or Eakin were going to end it for sure.

Nice to see a game played 5 on 5, thanks Wieler.

I totally agree. I have to question the decision to start Guggenberger. With the standings so tight every game is like the playoffs right now and you have to go with your #1 guy especially against the team you were tied with.

And good job by the Raiders in PA tonight applause

ointhecreek
02-23-2008, 11:25 AM
I don't think Guggenberger had that bad a game. I wouldn't call it fantastic by any means but not bantam either. I believe he was screened on the ot goal, the Broncos never clear the front of the net. He made some nice saves but let out some big rebounds too. The person I've been disappointed in lately is Molle. He has been giving up the puck a lot lately and his coverage and judgment has been terrible. It irks me because he was one of my favorite players. And what's with all the players falling in that west side of the ice? We lose possession in that end more then anywhere else. The ice bad in that end?
All said and done, I think the guys should have won that game. They had the better scoring chances but were stoned by great goaltending.

AT least the Bathrooms are finally open so a guy doesn't have to walk all the way to the other end after drinking a few beers. pbj Pretty small though. You can sure tell where they made the cut backs to save money. It shows and it's too bad. It makes what could be a great looking rink look a little cheap.

Flathead
02-23-2008, 12:47 PM
I totally agree. I have to question the decision to start Guggenberger. With the standings so tight every game is like the playoffs right now and you have to go with your #1 guy especially against the team you were tied with.

And good job by the Raiders in PA tonight applause
Really, I think Guggenberger has been just as good if not better than Yonkman. Yonkman was scary in the Kootenay game. I have no problem with Guggenberger, it's Yonkman that needs to pick up his game and I think that's why Guggenberger got the start.

All said and done, I think the guys should have won that game. They had the better scoring chances but were stoned by great goaltending. That's what I think as well, Holfeld stole two points on us. It's too bad it took us two periods too figure out the 1-3-1 boring trap that the Hat played all night, not the way I remember the Hat playing.

Tassone, Nelson, Dansereau were absolutely terrific tonight. Some of our shifts on the blueline were not. Very entertaining game, thought Felde or Eakin were going to end it for sure. Agree with that as well, especially the part about some shifts on the blue line, I thought Dudas played his worst game in a Bronco jersey last night, he seemed lost all night.
If we could have played afull 60 like the last 20 it would have been lights out for the Tigers very early. Even as it was we only really played the last 20 minutes and still should have won the game. Med Hat, thank Holfeld he stole two points for ya.

minirep
02-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I totally agree. I think Molle has been horrible he is always backng up and never holds the blueline, all he does is shoot the puck of the glass, most of the time it looks like he has a whole in his stick, have never seen a guy fan on more passes or clearing attempts than him. At the end of last year he got into two fights and won pretty easily but ever since the fight he got into at the beginning of the year when he took one on the lips he doesn't even play physical anymore. What a joke he has been our worst player and my biggest dissapointment this year. I would rather see Rogers out there. :confused:

Chuckles
02-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Last night was a great game... I was entertained sad in the end we did not win. But why is that after every big win.. everyone post nothing.. i realize we are not like fans of the people down the highway with every win.. we are off to the mem cup. but as soon as we loose a game.. we throwing everyone on the fire... I'm a positive fan and i think we have the most entertaining team we have seeen here in years.. Our O is great our D is great. Just why the throw yonks or guggenburger to the wolves... I just don't get it. molle is great man.. I always figure he goes about his buisness you all only notice the screw ups... like so many people ***** about wilson.. the guy is awesome but not physical enough so.. hes a bum and i would rather see rogers.. That boy is good don't get me wrong but, it just bothers me that everyone always throws people out as soon as some game is lost. take some pointers from our assisant coach.. and be more freaking POSITIVE ... GOD would it kill ya to give a complement i realize we are canadian hockey fans and we don't just go to be entertained we go to coach.. well ok lots of people do that and its your right.. but say some good stuff for your bad stuff.. is that too much to ask??? i don't know.. just baffling... i wouldn't change our team for anything this year. We got everything we need to be very successful its should be some great playoffs and i think we have the team to really make some nosie.. but i'im just a fan who cheers my heart out .. thats all!

minirep
02-23-2008, 05:26 PM
CHUCKLES pretty quick to cut people down. I never cut down our players and I do to think we have a great team. I just think Molle has been playing horrible lately, he is a big good skating d-man that should be playing better than what he is. I think he should be a big part of our team. I think Rogers has played well lately and guarente you that he will be a better d-man that Molle. Just watch how you cut people down. vc119

ointhecreek
02-23-2008, 06:12 PM
I think there are quite a few positive posts here. I know I am guilty of negative posts now and again, but I think I'm entitled to my opinion being I am passionate about my hockey team and want them to succeed. I have also said on numerous occasions that the team has been playing very entertaining hockey this year. Not all posts are going to be positive and I'm sure the players understand that. Take a chill pill man, it's a discussion board.

Speedy Broncs
02-23-2008, 06:28 PM
MINI-REP .... sounding a little contradictory in your last reply.

I never cut down our players

I think Molle has been horrible he is always backng up and never holds the blueline, all he does is shoot the puck of the glass, most of the time it looks like he has a whole in his stick, have never seen a guy fan on more passes or clearing attempts than him. At the end of last year he got into two fights and won pretty easily but ever since the fight he got into at the beginning of the year when he took one on the lips he doesn't even play physical anymore. What a joke he has been our worst player and my biggest dissapointment this year

As the 'Creek" said, not all posts will be positive and that's OK ... everyone is subject to their own opinion. But let's be hoping that all of us posters are quick to point out the positives as well. Confidence is a big thing for these young men and who knows what is going on behind the ice surface. But for the most part, the guys have been playing very well as of late - the guys must LOVE the fan applause after some good plays, like the 8-10 minutes in a row of being in the Tigers' zone last night.