PDA

View Full Version : Who finishes 1st overall?

Beaner
02-23-2008, 06:54 PM
So with about 10 games left the race is tight for the Regular Season Championship.

Calgary 90pts 63gp -- Max Points 108
Tri-Cities 92pts 61gp -- Max Points 114
Spokane 90pts 62gp -- Max Points 110
Vancouver 91pts 62gp -- Max Points 111

Right now it looks like the League title is Tri-Cities to lose. They have the most points and games in hand on everyone.

Tie Breaker Head to Head Records --

Tri-Cities (1-0) vs. Calgary (0-1) --
Vancouver (1-0) vs. Calgary (0-0-0-1)
Spokane (1-0) vs Calgary (0-0-1-0)

Tri-Cities (3-1) vs Vancouver (1-3)
Tri-Cities (5-3) 10pts vs Spokane (3-3-1-2)9pts -- 3 games left head to head

Spokane (1-0-0-1) 3pts vs. Vancouver (1-1) 2pts

So Calgary has no tie breaker advantages, and both Spokane and Tri-Cities have the tie breaker vs Vancouver, while the Tri-cities vs Spokane tie-breaker is still up for grabs.

MAGIC NUMBERS:

For Tri-Cities:

vs. Calgary: 8
vs. Vancouver: 9.5
vs. Spokane: 9

For Vancouver:

vs. Calgary: 8.5
vs. Spokane: 10
vs. Tri-Cities: 12

For Spokane:

vs. Calgary: 9
vs Vancouver: 10.5
vs Tri Cities: 12

For Calgary:

vs Vancouver: 11
vs Spokane: 10.5
vs Tri Cities: 12.5

Hopefully all my math is correct LOL.

Remaining Schedule:

Tri-Cities :
vs +.500 -- 8
vs -.500 -- 3

Calgary:
vs +.500 -- 8
vs -.500 -- 1

Vancouver:
vs +.500 -- 5
vs -.500 -- 5

Spokane:
vs +.500 -- 5
vs -.500 -- 5

So looks like Vancouver and Spokane have the easier opponents down the stretch. Slight advantage to Vancouver as the Chiefs have to play Tri 3 times in that span.

--

So looking at all the numbers, and schedule, here is what I think:

Calgary:
No games in hand fewest points and a difficult schedule 3rd overall.

Tri-Cities:
A lead in points plus games in hand but a difficult schedule, with a trip out to the central thrown in could make things difficult. Have to win 2/3 vs Spokane to get the US Title, but Vancouver's easier schedule makes them finish 2nd overall.

Vancouver:
1 point back, but probably the easiest schedule has got to give them the advantage. 1st overall.

Spokane:
A much easier schedule then their rivals in Tri, but they have to win the head to head games remaining vs Tri to have a shot. They are also the coldest team heading into the stretch run at 5-4-0-1. 4th overall and 3rd in the west.

wardog fan
02-23-2008, 10:42 PM
just wondering , and its kinda interesting, whens the last time that we have seen 8 teams make the playoffs in the eastern conference with 70 or more points? i looked back the last 6 or 7 years and the most was 7 teams , now this year we could see all 8 eastern conference playoff teams with 80 pts or more.. i thought it was a neat tidbit

Beaner
02-23-2008, 11:15 PM
just wondering , and its kinda interesting, whens the last time that we have seen 8 teams make the playoffs in the eastern conference with 70 or more points? i looked back the last 6 or 7 years and the most was 7 teams , now this year we could see all 8 eastern conference playoff teams with 80 pts or more.. i thought it was a neat tidbit

Yeah I was looking at that. Shows just how even the East conference is.

On the same note it looks like there is a good chance that we could see 3 teams in the west all finish with 100+ points.

LifelongChiefsFan
02-24-2008, 12:45 AM
Spokane:
A much easier schedule then their rivals in Tri, but they have to win the head to head games remaining vs Tri to have a shot. They are also the coldest team heading into the stretch run at 5-4-0-1. 4th overall and 3rd in the west.

Well game one of three is out of the way. I think you're underestimating Spokane. You have to remember that three of their nine remaining games are against Portland. Now I'm not saying that Portland is a guaranteed win, but...

Also, when Spokane plays their game, they are a better team than Tri-City, imnsho. They've proven it the last 2 Saturdays. However I have to give credit to the Americans as they are a very good team and they have been able to keep Spokane from playing their game most of the time this season. Obviously if the Americans win out, Spokane cannot catch them and I'd have to tip my hat to Tri for winning in crunch time. But playing @ Kootenay and twice against Everett is something I'm glad Spokane doesn't have to do.

Here's my top 4:

1) Vancouver (Even though I didn't vote for them in the poll; Spokane needed a vote!)
2) Spokane
3) Tri-City
4) Calgary

To the Americans, Giants and Hitmen fans I wish your teams the best of luck the rest of the season. The race is in the home stretch! :thumb:

Beaner
02-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Well game one of three is out of the way. I think you're underestimating Spokane. You have to remember that three of their nine remaining games are against Portland. Now I'm not saying that Portland is a guaranteed win, but...

Not underestimating Spokane, just had to pick someone to finsh 4th.

Thanks for beating Tri in regulation by the way, a perfect night for Vancouver with the Giants winning, and both Calgary and Tri losing.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Yeah I was looking at that. Shows just how even the East conference is.

On the same note it looks like there is a good chance that we could see 3 teams in the west all finish with 100+ points.

When was the last time that happened?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-24-2008, 03:23 PM

The Eastern Conference is nuts. Four good and maybe even 1 or 2 really, really good teams will be out in the first round of the playoffs. The first round is wide open. The only team I will pick to win for sure in the first round is Calgary (and I am a Canes fan) We may play the Ice or the Hat in the first round and I can see us losing either one of those series. All 4 winners could come out of the Central Division. If the Hat wins the 2 games in hand it has on Regina, the top 4 teams "based on total points" are all from the Central. Glad they switched to the Conference playoff format.