PDA

View Full Version : Attendance - Big Market/Small Market

Speedy Broncs
02-24-2008, 12:27 PM
WOW - 15,005 last night for Calgary and Med Hat. I realize that this topic has been thrown around before and I don't want to pull out the boo-hoo-hoo card, but one thing that automatically comes to mind is some sort of "profit assistance" schemes among the big market and small market teams. That attendance is 7 games worth of people in the stands here in Swift -- 7 games!!! Imagine what we could do with some of that extra $$. I know, I know ... they have bigger expenses, it's a business and the owners of these big market teams want to make some $$, and so on. But, they have to be making more $$ per game than others.

But, with all of the extra revenue that these teams have to play with, they have the ability to offer their players more perks - more 'attractive' acccommodations and eateries on the road, equipment (ex. several pairs of skates per year vs. other teams that have to pare that down due to budget), little extras that the players receive that add to their experience (for the record, I'm not saying they receive financial rewards, just little 'extras' that make a teenager's eyes appreciate their experience a bit more).

If I am advertising at games, my $$ will go longer if they are being exposed to 15,000 per game than 2,500. Thus, more sponsorship interest and more sponsorship $$ for the marketing teams.

So, for us small market teams (SC, the Jaw, Brandon, Prince Albert ... among others in the Dub) it has to be frustrating to see these attendance #s in other centres without thinking "what if" ................ Don't get me wrong - I think the players in small centres (SC included!) have alot of advantages that those in bigger centres do not, but if the Dub wants to have equal playing fields for all teams' players, does something have to change???

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-24-2008, 04:16 PM
WOW - 15,005 last night for Calgary and Med Hat. I realize that this topic has been thrown around before and I don't want to pull out the boo-hoo-hoo card, but one thing that automatically comes to mind is some sort of "profit assistance" schemes among the big market and small market teams. That attendance is 7 games worth of people in the stands here in Swift -- 7 games!!! Imagine what we could do with some of that extra $$. I know, I know ... they have bigger expenses, it's a business and the owners of these big market teams want to make some $$, and so on. But, they have to be making more $$ per game than others.

But, with all of the extra revenue that these teams have to play with, they have the ability to offer their players more perks - more 'attractive' acccommodations and eateries on the road, equipment (ex. several pairs of skates per year vs. other teams that have to pare that down due to budget), little extras that the players receive that add to their experience (for the record, I'm not saying they receive financial rewards, just little 'extras' that make a teenager's eyes appreciate their experience a bit more).

If I am advertising at games, my $$ will go longer if they are being exposed to 15,000 per game than 2,500. Thus, more sponsorship interest and more sponsorship $$ for the marketing teams.

So, for us small market teams (SC, the Jaw, Brandon, Prince Albert ... among others in the Dub) it has to be frustrating to see these attendance #s in other centres without thinking "what if" ................ Don't get me wrong - I think the players in small centres (SC included!) have alot of advantages that those in bigger centres do not, but if the Dub wants to have equal playing fields for all teams' players, does something have to change???
That equals about a quarter million dollar Gate for 1 game with no team payroll. WOW. I agree that they deserve the big bucks but revenue sharing for all the obvious reasons you state and more should be looked at. Recruiting and keeping players vs NCAA is one huge reason or the top teams are gonna get some better players than others. vci33

sbtatter
02-24-2008, 04:21 PM
That equals about a quarter million dollar Gate for 1 game with no team payroll. WOW. I agree that they deserve the big bucks but revenue sharing for all the obvious reasons you state and more should be looked at. Recruiting and keeping players vs NCAA is one huge reason or the top teams are gonna get some better players than others. vci33
How does the NFL's revenue sharing agreement work?

transplantedbronco
02-25-2008, 09:42 AM
I belive with the NFL 60% for the home team and 40% for the away team is the quick way to describe their revenue sharing system when its gets down to the money the teams get.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Sunday night Kelowna at the Giants had 14,279!!!!!!!!!

bruinsr#1
02-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Sunday night Kelowna at the Giants had 14,279!!!!!!!!!

thats funny i thought there max was 12,000 or something.

rinkrat
02-26-2008, 07:18 PM
I believe the Giants contributed some pretty big $$ to all the WHL teams with the Memorial Cup revenue. I can't remember exact figures but I think it was around $100,000 per team. So there is a form of revenue sharing.

BTW the Pacific Coliseum holds just over 16,000 fans. Hard to believe a fan from Chilliwack doesn't know this. :spineyes:

bruinsr#1
02-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I believe the Giants contributed some pretty big $$ to all the WHL teams with the Memorial Cup revenue. I can't remember exact figures but I think it was around $100,000 per team. So there is a form of revenue sharing.

BTW the Pacific Coliseum holds just over 16,000 fans. Hard to believe a fan from Chilliwack doesn't know this. :spineyes:

thats weird because one time i was watching shaw and it said you guys had a sell out of 12 000 so i thought thats all the stadium could hold.

I guess I was wrong sorry about that.

rinkrat
02-26-2008, 08:04 PM
thats weird because one time i was watching shaw and it said you guys had a sell out of 12 000 so i thought thats all the stadium could hold.

I guess I was wrong sorry about that.

They have curtains that cover part of the upper bowl. Sometimes it is only set up for 12 grand, but the actual capacity is around 16,150. I guess that confuses people. Also the official capacity listed on their schedule etc is 9500. Which is basically the lower bowl. It screws up all the stats for league wide attendance because they can be at 120% capacity sometimes.

patsdude114
02-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Dont forget that every season each team gets money from Hockey Canada that goes towards equipment mostly. I have heard this on a few occasions that the money the CHL teams receive pays for the equipment for the season for all teams. So really there is no perks to being with a smaller market or a bigger market team towards equipment.

I do still believe though that these kids deserve more then they get for a weekly pay. I have read/heard that the payment these kids get hasnt changed in more then 15 yrs at a big whooping $50/week, $200/month I dont know about you guys but i know when i was 16 ta 20, $200/month wouldnt get me very far with gas, going out with friends, buying yourself something at least once a month. Yes i know when they are on the road everything is paid for like meals for each player, but anything theses guys go out and do on their own (with teammates) is paid for themselves, be it playing pool, going to a movie whatever things add up thats forsure... I personally think $75 to $100 per week is prob more realistic now a days for these kids, gas isnt getting cheaper for them to get back and forth to school, practices and games. Sorry got alittle off topic here lol

Anyways I would love to see the bigger markets (Calgary, Vancouver, Regina for examples) do some revenue sharing with those smaller markets. Its hard enough for these small market teams to stay above water level with their finances.

sbtatter
02-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Most of the dub guys I know spend plenty of money in the bar, not lacking any money.....