PDA

View Full Version : With KC or Witout KC?

Tipped Off
02-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Are the Tips better off before KC or After?

I was asked the following question in another thread and thought I'd bring the conversation over here.

this is what was asked by Rebelchild:

Away from the current subject here - somewhere I read something to the effect that a particular poster thought that this years Tips team was actually a better team because they are no longer playing hockey the Constantine way and have had to actually work for their wins. What do you think about that? I have a tendency to agree with it. I think that if you guys would just leave Beach at home when you come visit Spokane I would enjoy the games against you guys now as much as I do the games we play with TRI. I still don't like Dailey(?) much but he can still come. I do like Vartovnik for some reason.

Here is my reply to that. My answer is Yes and No

OK, OK.....I'll explain a little. I thought the Constantine style and KC himself was a perfect fit for the Tips in years 1-3 (maybe even just year's 1 and 2) when they were still an expansion team and won with "inferior" talent. It is definitely a trapping/defensive style of play that allows teams without a ton of speed or skill to stay in games. If they can catch a couple breaks they'll win more than they lose and anytime you are close, anything can happen.

I thought his style hampered last year's team, though. With all that offensive power we had. If that team had played a more open offense I think we could have went further. That team won in spite of KC, not because of him.

It also carried over into this year. This team had to learn to play different and doesn't have the offensive skill last year's team did. They are learning and getting better, though. I figured out the stats and the Tips actually have the best record in the U.S. Division since Dec. 29 (http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=16172). I think they could be just now pulling it together. Unfortunately, this team is not set up for next year and I think we'll see a less than .500 "rebuilding" season.

As for Beach, I'm not a fan of his and do not enjoy watching him play. I think he's a great talent and if he can avoid consuccions will make it the NHL someday. My issue is, I don't want my son wanting to be like Beach. Luckily my 4-year-old runs around the house pretending to be Dan Gendur (I'm not going to like explaining to him next year why Dan Gendur is not on the team anymore).

That being said, I'm not sure the Tips are a better team without Beach, but I am sure I've seen Harty and others yelling at him a lot more lately. I think they are tired of his crap. I've noticed on more than one occasion that when he is in a beef, they are skating off the ice as opposed to hanging around and waiting to see if he's gonna need help. If he could ever get it under control, man I'd love to see his game with 100% concentration on plying good hockey. I'd have to estimate he spends 50% of his time deciding what shenanigans (sp) he's going to do next.

OK....all that being said, I was asked my opinion on what I thought Beach meant to the Tips. Please do not turn this thread into a Beach Bashing thread. It will be closely moderated. Feel free to comment on his ability and what he means to the team. Whether you would want that type of player, etc....

Rebelchild
02-27-2008, 11:26 AM
That answered the question all right! :D I had noticed that the last few times that Beach tried to go nose-to-nose with someone he was doing it pretty much on his own. I HOPE, for the sake of a great talent, that that sends him a message that his previous concussions haven't seemed to do. Hockey is a "team" sport and I think that Beach has a serious lesson to learn there. That said - thanks again for the response. I expect the playoffs this year to be outstanding!