PDA

View Full Version : Ross ready for return to Regina

nivek_wahs
02-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Ross ready for return to Regina (http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=af34156b-2b8e-4d5e-8161-61e4714016fb)

Ross ready for return to Regina

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Kamloops Blazers defenceman Nick Ross is mindful of his Xs and Os.

After circling Feb. 27 on the calendar several weeks ago, the 18-year-old rearguard can officially cross that date off his schedule in anticipation of tonight's home-coming game against the Regina Pats.

"Ever since I got traded I kind of looked at when we played Regina," said Ross, who was acquired by the Blazers on Jan. 5. "I always liked playing in that arena (the Brandt Centre). I felt comfortable there. Playing against a lot of my buddies, it should be exciting and pretty competitive."

Ross was the biggest name in a major four-player trade which saw the Pats acquire veteran blueliners Victor Bartley and Ryan Bender from Kamloops. Regina also gave up defenceman Spencer Fraipont and a fourth-round bantam pick.

The deal came as a surprise to Ross, who had been a member of the Pats since he was selected in the second round of the 2004 WHL bantam draft. The Lethbridge native became an impact player for Regina at age 16 and went on to be selected by the Phoenix Coyotes in the first round (30th overall) of the 2007 NHL entry draft.

Ross was eventually caught in the crossfire of a major roster facelift prior to the Jan. 10 trade deadline, but he still has strong ties to the city and the team. As a result, there will be some mixed emotions tonight when he faces the Pats for the first time.

"I've never really played against an ex-team before," noted Ross. "I have a lot of friends on that team. I don't really know what to expect when I go back but I know I'm going to give it all I can to hopefully get the upper hand on them and get the W. That's the most important thing because we want to go on a good run before the playoffs."

Ross has put up some impressive numbers with the Blazers, tallying five goals and 18 points in 22 games heading into Tuesday's meeting with the Swift Current Broncos. He was ranked No. 1 on the team and fourth among WHL blueliners with 46 total points in 63 games.

"I don't really think points mean a whole lot," noted Ross. "I try to play as solid as I can defensively because that'll help this team more."

The Pats are well aware of Ross's defensive game as well as his physical talents, in particular the ability to deliver huge open-ice hits.

So, should they keep their heads up?

"I haven't said that to them," he said with a laugh. "But they know how I play and I know how they play. I'm sure we'll both be ready."

Ross doesn't sound like a player who's coming back to Regina with a chip on his shoulder. That said, he admits there's some added motivation to show the Pats what they're missing.

"I just want to go in there and do everything that I do well and be a difference-(maker) in the game," he said. "It should be a good competition between friends, but there's no friends on the ice. Hopefully our team can play well and we can get some bragging rights."

Asked about the difference between his new and old clubs, Ross joked about the fact that "it's warmer in Kamloops." He also said the overall adjustment has been "pretty easy" despite the fact that he went from a team ranked first in the East Division to a club that's fourth in the B.C. loop.

Kamloops is on pace to claim the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference, with a shot at moving past the Chilliwack Bruins and into seventh. The rebuilding Blazers may not be high on the list of championship contenders, but Ross likes the idea of playing the spoiler's role.

"We want to be an underdog team that goes in and upsets teams," he said. "It has been a bit of an adjustment (for him) but everyone here works hard so I think we have a good chance."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008