PDA

View Full Version : Feb 29, 2008 Giants 5 Cougars 2

dondo
03-01-2008, 02:03 AM
I was wine-festing tonight so you get a slightly drunken, box score only account of the game, but Garet got two goals so WOO HOO! The boys came out early and scored three unanswered in the first, continued to fill the net and then shut it down (mostly) in the third to get the win. PG is out of the playoffs officially now and Kamloops can breathe a sigh of relief especially since they have been sucking as of late. here's how I interpreted the box score tell me how wrong I am ;). I always like to hear about how others saw the game.

Giants Thump Cats 5-2 - VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/February_29_GiantsbkThumpbkCats_201.html)

Giants Thump Cats
Vancouver 5 Prince George 2

Don Robinson

Garet Hunt decided to help his team tonight not with his fists, or to not help with his knees, but rather to help his squad out with his stick tonight, as he scored two goals, leading his team to a convincing victory over the hapless Cougars. The win eliminated the Cougars from any hope of a playoff berth this season. The Giants came out the gate hard putting up three goals in the first to put the Cougars behind the proverbial eight-ball. Hunt opened the scoring at just 1:54 of the first period muscling the puck past Real Cyr. Mitch Czibere and Chris Cloud got the helpers. The visitors padded that lead on the man-advantage, when Jonathon Blum put the puck past Real Cyr at 5:41. Michal Repik assisted on the play. Rookie Evander Kane got his 22nd of the season, off of Brent Regner and Lance Bouma on another PP opportunity. The Giants went 2 for 9 on the PP, while holding the Cougars to 0 for 7. Jordie Deagle got one of those back in the second, but the Giants kept rolling regardless. James Wright, in his first game back from battling with mononucleosis put the Giants back up by three late in the middle stanza. Craig Cunningham and Jonny Blum helped out on the play. The G-men would add one more at 18:37 of the second frame putting the dagger in the heart of the Cougs come-back bid. Hunt would get his second of the game with the same two players setting him up, Cloud and Czibere. Hunt showed himself to be a true 20 yr old leader after having a few suspect outings where it appeared as if he had lost his positive edge and had instead adopted a dangerous wild side which hurt, rather than helped, his team.

Captain Greg Gardner who has been a rock for the adrift Cougars this season got his team back within three, but its as close as they would get, falling 5-2 to the Memorial Cup champs and in the process being eliminated from their hunt for a spot in the playoffs with the loss. Cloud and Deagle and Kane and Garrett Thiessen dropped the mitts in the game. Cory McLean and young Ryan Thompson went to town on the whistles giving the visitors 9 opportunities, and the home town Cougars 7 kicks at the man-advantage can.

The Giants got a great performance out of their depth players tonight and held the fort on their opponent’s man-advantage chances. Hunt who has been a recent target of the league’s officials for his “cheapshots” and who is not known for his scoring bulged the twine twice as he lead his ostensibly fourth liners to the fore of the scoring queue. The Vancouver squad out-shot the Prince George squad 43-21 in the win.

The Giants tangle again with PG tomorrow night for another battle at the CN Centre and the Cougars with nothing to lose could give them quite a contest. The Giants are 8-0-1-1 in their last ten games and seem to be on roll going into the playoffs. They have all but locked up the BC Division title and have their sights firmly set on over-taking Spokane and Tri-Cities in the standings, claiming top spot in the West and adding yet another banner to their rafters. The game on Saturday starts at 7:00pm PST.

Three Stars

1. Garet Hunt
2. Jonathon Blum
3. Mitch Czibere

Knuckles Muldoon
03-01-2008, 11:29 AM
The image of Dondo and The Scrunt rubbing shoulders with the Society crowd, pretending they belong there and trying to scoop chicks is unsettling indeed. The drunken part is hardly a stretch, though.

old_time_hockey
03-01-2008, 12:27 PM
You are supposed to SPIT Dondo. :thumb:

I was hoping to get down there this year but can't. I can usually snivel a trade pass off my local VQA store owner.

dondo
03-01-2008, 02:13 PM
tried that -- its more fun the other way .. :thumb:

and knuckles -- TRYING? oh no no.. there is no try - only do vci34