PDA

View Full Version : What a start by Blades! And what finish

nivek_wahs
03-01-2008, 09:54 AM
What a start by Blades! And what finish (http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=798c9836-ddc6-4161-9a37-bd1f6cf06155)

What a start by Blades! And what finish

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, March 01, 2008

Blades 5, Tigers 4

The script looked eerily familiar, but in a dramatic twist, the Saskatoon Blades rewrote the ending.

Travis Toomey's goal with three seconds left in regulation produced a 5-4 win over the Medicine Hat Tigers in WHL action. The Blades blew a 4-1 lead for the second straight game, but unlike Tuesday's 7-4 loss against the Lethbridge Hurricanes, Saskatoon recovered to earn a happy ending Friday in front of 4,887 patrons at Credit Union Centre.

"Proven by the first 35 minutes of the game, we knew that we could outplay (the Tigers) and that we deserved the win," said Toomey, who also posted two assists.

The Blades went on the power play with 1:52 left in the third after Travis Dunstall checked Saskatoon defenceman Jyri Niemi from behind. Just when the game seemed destined to go to overtime, Toomey fished the puck out of a scrum behind the net and beat Tigers goaltender Ryan Holfeld through the pads.

"(Chris) Langkow made a good play to kick the puck over and I just found it on my stick," said Toomey, who also registered two assists. "I thought there'd be a D-man on me, but there wasn't anybody there, so I was able to have a clear path to the net and put it through his legs."

The Blades went ahead 4-1 early in third, thanks to an own-goal by the Tigers. Jordan Bendfeld's clearing attempt banked off Linden Vey and behind Holfeld. Chris Durand got credit for the goal.

However, the Tigers stormed back with goals by Bretton Cameron, Tyler Ennis and Sean Ringrose, who got the equalizer with 5:44 left in regulation.

Play was subsequently delayed while building staff repaired a section of the boards in front of the Saskatoon bench.

"That gave us a nice break and allowed us to refocus because they had the momentum," said Toomey. "The break cooled things off."

Blades forwards Ondrej Fiala (one goal, two assists) and Colton Gillies (one goal, one assist) also had big nights to extend their points streaks to five games. Gillies has been particularly potent with 10 points during the streak.

Defenceman John Flatters opened the scoring for the Blades (25-34-3-4), who have won six of their last seven home games. Seconds after serving a minor penalty, Flatters wired a slapshot past Tigers starter Tomas Vosvrda. Flatters also delivered the hit of the night -- a centre-ice pop on Ennis just before the first intermission.

Mark Isherwood had the other goal for the Tigers (37-21-5-2).

Saskatoon's Braden Holtby made 29 saves, while Vosvrda and Holfeld combined to block 18 shots.

BLADE BITS: The Kamloops Blazers visit Credit Union Centre tonight for a 7:05 start. Their roster features two Saskatoon products: G Justin Leclerc and C Jimmy Bubnick, who ranks seventh among 16-year-old skaters with 26 points in 56 games entering Friday's match in Prince Albert . . . . The Blades' leading scorer, LW Derek Hulak, earned an assist Friday and has been held off the scoresheet only four times in the last 17 games.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2008