PDA

View Full Version : Chad Scharff

mccabe23
03-28-2005, 01:55 PM
First of all, I mean no disrespect whatsoever by this post. I'm just curious to what type of shape Chad Scharff is in? He looks very overweight for a hockey player and seems to get winded very easily. Has this been a problem for him throughout the year or not? Is he overweight or just a solid kid?

And what about Fistric? Is he in shape? His legs are the size of tree trunks! Pretty impressive if it's solid muscle! He has pretty decent foot speed which is impressive. WoW!

Kassian
03-28-2005, 02:28 PM
First of all, I mean no disrespect whatsoever by this post. I'm just curious to what type of shape Chad Scharff is in? He looks very overweight for a hockey player and seems to get winded very easily. Has this been a problem for him throughout the year or not? Is he overweight or just a solid kid?

And what about Fistric? Is he in shape? His legs are the size of tree trunks! Pretty impressive if it's solid muscle! He has pretty decent foot speed which is impressive. WoW!

Scharff is a defenseman that has been playing forward for a few months now. So he probably isn't used to skating as much as most forwards are. I've seen him off the ice several times, he doesn't seem out of shape to me.

Fistric is definitely not out of shape. He is pretty much solid muscle. Him and Grant as very thick. I'd say those two are definitely the biggest (muscle wise) on the entire team.

Beaner
03-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Here's an article from the province a few weeks back just about Scharff. Kind of funny.

from, www.theprovince.com

Scharff a 'big' help to Giants
Versatile player shows ice time doesn't always tell the whole story

Steve Ewen
The Province

Thursday, March 10, 2005

CREDIT: Nick Procaylo, The Province
Vancouver Giant Chad Scharff (right) says the opposition called him fat 12 games in a row.

Chad Scharff is a versatile guy. He can play forward and defence, he can play for laughs and drama.

Scharff, the Vancouver Giants' utility man, usually doesn't see major minutes on the ice, but, according to teammates and team brass, he's one of the most important guys in the WHL club's dressing room.

His easy-going demeanour and hard-working ways make him popular with players on the club, and help give his words weight.

Too bad for him the WHL doesn't keep stats on saying the right thing at the right time, because the second-year Giant would be a league leader.

"Scharffie is our Trent Klatt," Giants general manager Scott Bonner said. "He's undervalued. Statistically, you wouldn't know he was a key guy, but if you are in the room you know he's a real key guy. In the past, we've made errors moving some of those type of guys out. We're happy that we have him here for another couple of years."

Scharff, 18, can get after his teammates when he thinks things aren't being taken seriously enough. His real specialty, though, is humour, and he's often the butt of his own jokes.

One time, talk in the Giants room turned to goal-scoring and point-scoring streaks. Scharff, who's a big, bulky guy, contended that he had a streak of his own going at that time -- it had been 11-straight games that someone on the opposition had called him fat.

He went on to say how much he wanted to keep the streak going, and his teammates burst out laughing.

He wasn't done there, either. When the team returned to the dressing room after the pre-game skate, he proclaimed that his streak was alive, "because some guy got me in the warm-up."

"A lot of people don't know what goes on behind closed doors," said Scharff, an Airdrie, Alta., native, who has been playing left wing on the third line lately, after spending time earlier this year on the blueline. "It's about getting the team together. We spend 90 per cent of our day together in the dressing room or on the ice.

"Last year, I was one of the guys that really had his eyes open and watched the older guys try and crack the jokes and do what they do. This year, it's a different story. I try to help the younger guys, because I was in their situation last year and know what they're going through."

That may be one of his most important roles. Scharff has taken rookie defenceman Luke Egener, 17, under his wing in particular. Egener, the team's second-round pick in the WHL bantam draft last year, has played just three times since Feb. 1, but he could be a key player in future years, and Scharff has tried to keep him upbeat and positive about going through this learning process.

"Scharff can keep it light when it needs to be light," said Giants winger Mitch Bartley, "and he can bring it down hard when it needs to be brought down hard. I think that's one of his better attributes.

"He's definitely one of the leaders on this team, even if he doesn't get the ice time."

© The Vancouver Province 2005