PDA

View Full Version : March 1, 2008 Giants 0 Cougars 2

dondo
03-02-2008, 03:15 AM
confused by some of the box score stats, maybe someone can illuminate me as to what happened in the game other than Cyr saving pucks like a madman. working tonight so its a box score recap and without much that seemed to happen in the game a very short one.

Cats Blank Giants 2-0 - VGHQ (http://www.vancouvergiantshq.com/March_1_Vancouverbk0bkbkPrincebkGeorgebk2_202.html )

Cats Blank Giants
Vancouver 0 Prince George 2

Don Robinson

Real Cyr turned away 47 shots to get the goose-egg versus the Vancouver Giants who tried their damnedest to get the puck past Cyr, but could not manage to do so. The Giants who beat the Cougars last night 5-2 came up a against a red hot 20 year old Cyr with nothing to lose, as his team was eliminated from the playoff race the night previous. The box score doesn’t make sense though as it has the second PG goal scored into an empty net at 8:55 of the third, with Vancouver back-up Kraymer Barnstable turning away 19 of 20 shots and playing 59:50 of the game. Can someone tell me how this stat can actually be correct? Do we have yet another example of really poor stat keeping, something not unheard of in the WHL as the stats sheets for the dub are occasionally wrong and sometimes very wrong. Anyway, James Wright was on the ice for both goals against and was the only Giant player to garner a –2. Dale Hunt scored the Cougars first goal of the game, set-up by Justin Maylan and Jordie Deagle 5:44 into the first.

The game remained that way until 8:55 of the third when Deagle got an insurance marker the home team wouldn’t need, with the lone helper going to Maylan. Neither team were able to score on the man-advantage with the Cougars going 0 for 5 and the Giants going 0 for 6. the G-Men out-shot the cats 47-20 on the night, but were not able to solve Cyr who stood on his head to get the blank sheet. The Giants next game is versus the Kelowna Rockets at Prospera Place on Wed March 5, puck drops at 7:00pm PST.

Three Stars

1. Real Cyr
2. Jordie Deagle
3. Kalvin Sagert

smileyjones
03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Barnstable was clearly in net for the 2nd goal. They pulled him with only about :10 left in the third.

Depsite the shot count, the cougars were much better in their own end than the previous night. They gave up very few opportunities on the rush, lots of shots from outside, the Giants were working hard around the net but to Cyr's credit their were no 2nd chances and his defense did a nice job of clearing out the crease.

Although I find him much too yappy, I will grudginly admit that Garet Hunt is a big difference maker for the Giants. In their win Friday night, not only did Hunt score twice but he was all over the ice. He was kind of invisible last night and may have been the biggest difference in the two games.

Also, the Cougars FINALLY realized that hitting is allowed in the WHL, and low and behold some good things happened.

dondo
03-03-2008, 11:02 AM
lol- thanks smiley -- that's the kind of info I was looking for -- as for hitting it can do a bunch of good things and yes Garet can definitely make an impact.

well I don't like to take a loss, but when another team keeps you from getting even one past their goalie it wasn't your team's night and that happens.

Congrats to Cyr on what sounded like a well-earned shut-out made a bit easier when the team in front doesn't allow quality second chances . Actually Real is very good at rebound control and covers the bottom of the net like a brick wall when the puck is loose just in front of him. The only way to beat him when he's playing like that is to gather the puck and pull it back to get it up and over.

rinkrat
03-03-2008, 06:20 PM
well I don't like to take a loss, but when another team keeps you from getting even one past their goalie it wasn't your team's night and that happens.

That loss cost them any chance they had at first overall. Bonehead move by Hay,sitting all those vets. vc124

Section_Z
03-03-2008, 11:01 PM
That loss cost them any chance they had at first overall. Bonehead move by Hay,sitting all those vets. vc124

I disagree Rinkrat. There's only 17 days left to Game 1. It's time to start resting the vets and looking deep into our depth to see what we have...And PG is a pretty safe team to try that on....Didn't work out...obviously...but it was a 1 goal game for most part.

As for the League title...you may be right...but we have our BC banner for this year already...and if testing our teams depth costs us the Dub regular season, I'll still be smiling when we take the Season title...=)...and head east to Cup..=)

rinkrat
03-04-2008, 10:06 AM
I disagree Rinkrat. There's only 17 days left to Game 1. It's time to start resting the vets and looking deep into our depth to see what we have...And PG is a pretty safe team to try that on....Didn't work out...obviously...but it was a 1 goal game for most part.

As for the League title...you may be right...but we have our BC banner for this year already...and if testing our teams depth costs us the Dub regular season, I'll still be smiling when we take the Season title...=)...and head east to Cup..=)

You make some good points. :thumb:

dondo
03-04-2008, 02:09 PM
who all did we sit? Other than Barnstable it looks like most of the vets are/were still in the line-up according to the box score.. or was it more a matter of not playing the vets a lot?

N.W. Bruin
03-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Basford - rookie
Cloud - okay he could have been in for someone else
Nunn - injured

Manning - 7th D

Giants didn't rest anyone virtually except Sexsmith. They didn't get rebounds and second chances which cost them the game.

rinkrat
03-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Basford - rookie
Cloud - okay he could have been in for someone else
Nunn - injured

Manning - 7th D

Giants didn't rest anyone virtually except Sexsmith. They didn't get rebounds and second chances which cost them the game.

Cloud is a veteren 20 year old, Manning sat in favour of Schneider(which is a definate downgrade) and Sexsmith sat. Barnstable looked pretty weak on the first goal.
Hay sent a message to the boys with his lineup that it would be an easy 2 points in my opinion.
Cyr played well,but how many times this season have the Giants made the opposition goalie look like the second coming of George Vezina?

TwoBits
03-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Cloud is a veteren 20 year old, Manning sat in favour of Schneider(which is a definate downgrade) and Sexsmith sat. Barnstable looked pretty weak on the first goal.
Hay sent a message to the boys with his lineup that it would be an easy 2 points in my opinion.
Cyr played well,but how many times this season have the Giants made the opposition goalie look like the second coming of George Vezina?

There's always a BUT isn't there? Whatever. :spineyes:

WestLEAFfan
03-04-2008, 06:57 PM

I can't believe you would insult CYR, the COUGARS, and all fans in this manner. Shame on you for not giving credit where credit is due. You need to take some lessons from Dondo and Old Time Hockey as to how to behave.

rinkrat
03-04-2008, 08:26 PM
I can't believe you would insult CYR, the COUGARS, and all fans in this manner.

No need to take it personal. Just stating facts. The Giants have made several goalies look like the second coming of George Vezina this season.
BTW you're being a little dramatic. I realize you are friends/family, and I did state that he played well, but chill out already. Boogaard'd

GiantDave
03-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I think what Rinkrat is trying to say is that there have been several games this season where due to the high shots on goal totals the Giants record, the opposition goaltenders make a "high" number of saves. Granted they may let in 4-5 goals BUT when it's on something like 50 shots, the save% looks good on paper.

Give Cyr his credit... he played real well in goal, stoning all the Giants snipers.

Chalk the loss up to 2 things... Cyr playing real well AND the Giants not baring down and finishing their chances.

TwoBits
03-04-2008, 11:44 PM
No need to take it personal. Just stating facts. The Giants have made several goalies look like the second coming of George Vezina this season.

I agree, including Sexsmith. haha The whole league voted him MOST OVERRATED player.

Don't take offence, just stating the facts. :evil: :D

dondo
03-04-2008, 11:46 PM

nah -- I don't buy it rinkrat the boys lost fair and square (and not having Manning or Cloud in the line-up should not have made any difference and giving Barnstable another start against a team the Giants soundly beat the night before isn't sending a message to anyone IMO.

And although the Giants do tend to pad the shot totals for other goalie's it seems that Cyr did need to stand on his head to get the shut-out. However, I do have to say that was a bit of an over-reaction on the Sask Cougar fan side of things. I believe nobody here is saying we have no respect for Cyr or saying he had an easy time, might want to check the colour of those Cyr glasses you are wearing :p :thumb: .

I generally tend to mentally subtract about ten shots from the Giants totals to get a fair assessment of decent shots on net as the Giants tend to shoot from everywhere and a good percentage of those shots are not dangerous in the least.

TwoBits
03-05-2008, 12:37 AM
nah -- I don't buy it rinkrat the boys lost fair and square (and not having Manning or Cloud in the line-up should not have made any difference and giving Barnstable another start against a team the Giants soundly beat the night before isn't sending a message to anyone IMO.

And although the Giants do tend to pad the shot totals for other goalie's it seems that Cyr did need to stand on his head to get the shut-out. However, I do have to say that was a bit of an over-reaction on the Sask Cougar fan side of things. I believe nobody here is saying we have no respect for Cyr or saying he had an easy time, might want to check the colour of those Cyr glasses you are wearing :p :thumb: .

I generally tend to mentally subtract about ten shots from the Giants totals to get a fair assessment of decent shots on net as the Giants tend to shoot from everywhere and a good percentage of those shots are not dangerous in the least.

I don't think we are over-reacting. Some of you think the Giants are the center of the friggin universe and if one of your players farts, the whole world stinks!!!!

Could it possibly be we just won on our own Rinkrat? Is it possible? Huh? You remind me of a crappy coach I once had. We were celebrating a win and he came into the dressing room and said..."You didn't win, the other team lost".

Pad the shot totals???? Well I'd be a lot prouder of a shutout where I faced 47 shots then one where I only faced 18 all game. Law of probabilty would prove the more shots you have against you, the more chances one is going to go in.

And one more thing.....the percentage of dangerous shots.... most goalies see very few dangerous shots per game. It doesn't matter who you are playing against.

Who else wants to go? vc119 :laugh:

dondo
03-05-2008, 02:39 AM
nah.. Cyr won for you :p :D

WestLEAFfan
03-05-2008, 06:16 AM
BTW you're being a little dramatic. I realize you are friends/family, and I did state that he played well, but chill out already. Boogaard'd

No overreaction on my part, just replying to what YOU wrote. It was dripping with arrogance and that's what bothers most PG fans, including me the most. Toot your horn all you want, but please don't be smug.

WestLEAFfan
03-05-2008, 06:22 AM

Feel free to subtract more if you like, but a shot doesn't have to be dangerous or from the slot to go in. A very high % of goals are "ugly". CYR stopped them all and I think that maybe a little luck was involved (he even said a few hit him), but nevertheless 47, 37, 27 shots and zero past him. No goggles here, just plain simple facts. vc119

WestLEAFfan
03-05-2008, 06:26 AM
I agree, including Sexsmith. haha The whole league voted him MOST OVERRATED player.

Don't take offence, just stating the facts. :evil: :D

Don't stoop to that level TwoBits. We all know CYRSIE deserves credit for his acrobatics.

WestLEAFfan
03-05-2008, 06:28 AM
I don't think we are over-reacting. Some of you think the Giants are the center of the friggin universe and if one of your players farts, the whole world stinks!!!!

Could it possibly be we just won on our own Rinkrat? Is it possible? Huh? You remind me of a crappy coach I once had. We were celebrating a win and he came into the dressing room and said..."You didn't win, the other team lost".

Pad the shot totals???? Well I'd be a lot prouder of a shutout where I faced 47 shots then one where I only faced 18 all game. Law of probabilty would prove the more shots you have against you, the more chances one is going to go in.

And one more thing.....the percentage of dangerous shots.... most goalies see very few dangerous shots per game. It doesn't matter who you are playing against.

Who else wants to go? vc119 :laugh:

Wow, I wasn't that hot under the collar until I read your post! :mad: Yup, I'll blame it all on you TwoBits! vci11

rinkrat
03-05-2008, 11:02 AM

Actually it was the WESTERN CONFERENCE not "the whole league"
Hopefully they have professionals in Morin Lake that can get you the help you clearly need. God forbid someone actually insult your boy. :confused:

TwoBits
03-05-2008, 02:42 PM

Sorry, my mistake. It was the people that are most familiar with him. Boogaard'd

God forbid someone actually insult your boy. :confused:

And don't you forget it. :laugh:

Don't take it to heart...You're right, we are CRAZY about Cyr. pbj

WestLEAFfan
03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Hopefully they have professionals in Morin Lake that can get you the help you clearly need. God forbid someone actually insult your boy. :confused:

The voices, the voices, can anyone stop the voices?!? haha

rinkrat
03-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Very interesting article in The Province today, it seems Steve Ewen,the Giants beat writer agrees with me that the Giants have a habit of making the opposition goalies look good. In 22 games this season the opposing goalie has been one of the three stars. 34 times last year in the regular season.
Again,nothing personal about Mr Cyr...

Here's the story

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=4def977f-6dd8-405e-83e8-064c15dd8aa9

Making life miserable
More traffic needed in front of opposing goalies
Steve Ewen, The Province
Published: Wednesday, March 05, 2008
The Vancouver Giants apparently need another crash course in crease crashing.

The Giants don't have the skill to play pretty. Their offence often should resemble curling, with somebody firing off a shot and a couple of guys whacking away at it en route to the desired destination.

They need to create chaos. They need rebounds and screens and tips. They need to make opposing goalies miserable.

They haven't been of late, as a rival netminder has been picked as a game star in four of Vancouver's last eight contests, including Real Cyr getting the nod for his 47-save effort in the Prince George Cougars' 2-0 win Saturday.

It's not new to the Giants. Opposing goalies were named game stars in 34 of their 72 regular-season starts last season. With six league games left this time, Vancouver's at 22 goalie stars, although 13 have come in their last 27 games.

"How many times have we heard this week that we have to outwork the other goalie? Quite a few," Giants winger Lance Bouma sheepishly admitted of one of coach Don Hay's favourite catchphrases.

"Our game style has to be going to the net and trying to get in front of the goalie and causing a lot of havoc.

"We like to get a lot of shots and a lot of second shots -- not just the shots from the outside. Second shots is where we're going to get most of our goals."

They have another interesting challenge tonight with a visit to the Kelowna Rockets. The Rockets have run with both Kris Westblom and Torrie Jung as their go-to goalies at points this year, but Westblom has played their past four games.

He's been a game star three times against the Vancouver this season. The Giants are 4-3-0-2 against the Rockets in the current campaign.

"Saturday was awful, but there's a lesson to be taken from it and I think we all did," centre Mitch Czibere said of the Cyr shutout.

"We take full responsibility for it and we know that we have to get better."

Kelowna has been bolstered this week by the return of team captain James McEwan. The overage winger missed 25 games after suffering a wrist laceration during a fight with Vancouver winger Garet Hunt on Dec. 29.

Hunt and McEwan have scrapped five times in the past two seasons.

"He's their Hunt, their courage guy," Bouma said of McEwan. "You get a captain back, it's going to help your team."

steve.ewen@gmail.com

GF71
03-05-2008, 06:00 PM
Bad Rinkrat, BAD! vc119 :D

TwoBits
03-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Rinkrat:

Very interesting article in The Province today, it seems Steve Ewen,the Giants beat writer agrees with me that the Giants have a habit of making the opposition goalies look good. In 22 games this season the opposing goalie has been one of the three stars. 34 times last year in the regular season.
Again,nothing personal about Mr Cyr...

Propaganda!

So what you're saying is...none of those goalies earned the star, your team just stinks? :D

Let's call a truce, you're as cuckoo about your Giants as we are about Cyr. :spineyes:

WestLEAFfan
03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Are we declaring a cease fire? I'm out of ideas for another post anyway. Nice jawing with you Rinkrat! No hard feelings eh! :)

rinkrat
03-05-2008, 07:43 PM
So what you're saying is...none of those goalies earned the star, your team just stinks? :D

I'm saying the Giants lack "pure goal scorers". They score alot of ugly goals.
We've seen some awesome goaltending performances at the Coliseum this season and most of them have been the opposition. Jordan White had a great game here a couple weeks ago,got first star and a rousing ovation from the Giants faithful when he came out for his star.

No hard feelings about this discussion,you fans seem like great hockey fans and Real is a great goaler. :)

WestLEAFfan
03-05-2008, 08:14 PM
No hard feelings about this discussion,you fans seem like great hockey fans and Real is a great goaler. :)

Finally, something we can agree on! :thumb:

TwoBits
03-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Oh, a little ruckus in the hockey forum never killed anybody. :D In fact, it can be as entertaining as a hockey fight.

'Til we meet again Rinkrat...... ;)