PDA

View Full Version : Warriors 2 @ Broncos 1 SO

Big Ern
03-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Chris Savage and Todd Mathews ran most of the show, and the Broncos were lacking intensity again. The Warriors lost the first game, and then got another chance and won in the shootout.

That about sums up the game tonight.

Just a few more points:

-the Warriors seemingly found the answer to Swift Current's 5 and 1 record versus them this year...their backup goaltender. Perricone is awful versus Swift Current. Mathews tonight was fantastic. He kept Moose Jaw from going down three goals. Seriously.

-Travis Yonkman played great as well. He only gave up one goal in all those shots.

-the Broncos looked and were EXTREMELY dangerous tonight at times...sometimes the puck doesn't find it's way in.

-the difference in the game was the PP. Swift Current has got to find a way to score on their powerplays, especially on a team like MJ that plays the rough style and takes a slew of penalties. If you're Swifty you have to make that hurt. Tonight, the Broncos' PP was poor.

-the guys lacked intensity at some points in the game...that was too obvious. Again, this is where we could use Dale Weise. A gut-wrenching body check would really help. Mind you, Codey Eakin laid one out on Ellerby in the first period and got called for it.{by Savage :)} So I guess that's not a valid point to bring up. You never know when His Majesty Chris is on the ice.

-our veteran players played pretty well tonight except....I guess whoever was there to watch the game knows what the exception tonight was....

-the bottom line is that MJ left with the two points. I think one point is good enough for the Broncos, but obviously the extra one would have helped...they all do. Good on the Warriors for winning this one.

-I haven't been that mad leaving a game in a looong long time...all because of the waved off winning goal.

-the Broncos are 9-2-0-1 versus Regina and Moose Jaw this season. That's a really nice stat, considering they're teams we have somewhat of a heated rivalry with.

-it is what it is.

Have a good Monday.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Scout
03-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Broncos fall in shootout
SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos lost to the Moose Jaw Warriors for the first time in six meetings this season when Jordan Knackstedt scored the deciding goal in the shootout as the Warriors earned a 2-1 shootout win over the host Broncos.

Knackstedt and Jason Bast both scored in the shootout for the Warriors, with Keegan Dansereau replying with the lone shootout goal for the Broncos.

Warriors netminder Todd Mathews turned aside 35 of 36 shots in regulation time, and then stopped shots from Geordie Wudrick and Matt Tassone in the shootout. Mathews is now 8-4-0-1 on the season.

Broncos goaltender Travis Yonkman stopped 38 of 39 shots and denied Riley Holzapfel in the shootout while dropping his sixth shootout decision of the season. Yonkman is 3-6 in shootout games and 28-19-0-6 on the season.

Bronco import forward David Stieler forced overtime when he scored his 21st goal of the season with 2:32 left in regulation.

The Broncos appeared to score the go-ahead goal with 1:47 remaining in regulation when Geordie Wudrick tipped in a point shot past Mathews. But after a long discussion between both referees and both linesman the puck was ruled to have been touched with a high stick.

Terrence Delaronde scored his 14th goal of the season during a first period powerplay to give Moose Jaw the one-goal lead they carried into the late going of the game.

Forward Justin Dowling, 17, admitted that the loss hurt the Broncos climb up the playoff standings.

“It is really disappointing. They are nipping at our heels here going into the playoffs. It hurts giving up the extra points because now I think they are tied with us going into the playoffs. Hopefully when we have that home-and-home with them at the end of the year we can capitalize and bear down and get that four points.”

The Broncos were held to three goals over two weekend games.

“I think just two good goalies making saves and we just have to bear down and start putting the puck in the net and things will start going our way,” said Dowling.

Dowling says being in the shootout puts a lot of pressure on the guys.

“Sometimes it makes you want to go out there. But it is a lot of pressure on a guy when there are 2000 fans staring at you hoping that you score and other fans hoping you miss. There is a lot of pressure going through the player’s minds and it is a big step.”

Dowling thinks the Broncos must stick to the basics in the final six games of the season.

“I think we just have to play our game, be using our feet, using our wheels, be moving the puck, and advancing it. We just have to start stealing some points from these guys and start catching them in the race.”

Dowling commented on his own play as he nears the end of his first full WHL season.

“I think that I have been playing pretty good as of late. I haven’t really been getting the points that I wanted, I have been a little bit snake-bitten with that. But I think that I have been playing good and just have to keep going.”

Broncos Head Coach and General Manager Dean Chynoweth admited the team did not do itself any favors in the playoff race.

“It is always disappointing when you are in a race like we are and every game seems to be a three-point game where someone is getting points out of it so it makes it extremely tough to climb in the standings.’

Special teams were a part of the loss tonight said Chynoweth.

“I didn’t think we were real sharp on the powerplay. I thought that we were a little careless with some of our puck decisions. Their goal was just a clear simple point shot with a deflection in front. You can take a page out of that and we have had those at times and we definitely needed one tonight.”

The Broncos will play their next three games against teams ahead of them in the Eastern Conference standings. Chynoweth admits that may seem a little daunting, but could also work in his team’s favor.

“It is and it isn’t, it depends on whether you are going to win your games and what happens around you. I think if you are winning your own games, you might need a little help, but we still have some games against Moose Jaw, Lethbridge, Kootenay, and Brandon that are above us that could impact where they finish.”

Chynoweth also explained that the return of leading goal scorer Dale Weise could be in the cards in the near future.

“We will see where he is in practice this week and try and make a decision towards the end of the week.”

The single point decided in the shootout allowed Moose Jaw to tie Swift Current for seventh place in the Eastern Conference standings with 81 points. The Warriors improved to 34-18-6-7 with Swift Current dropping to 37-22-1-6. Moose Jaw holds one game in hand over Swift Current.

Johnsy05
03-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Chris Savage and Todd Mathews ran most of the show, and the Broncos were lacking intensity again. The Warriors lost the first game, and then got another chance and won in the shootout.

That about sums up the game tonight.

Just a few more points:

-the Warriors seemingly found the answer to Swift Current's 5 and 1 record versus them this year...their backup goaltender. Perricone is awful versus Swift Current. Mathews tonight was fantastic. He kept Moose Jaw from going down three goals. Seriously.

-Travis Yonkman played great as well. He only gave up one goal in all those shots.

-the Broncos looked and were EXTREMELY dangerous tonight at times...sometimes the puck doesn't find it's way in.

-the difference in the game was the PP. Swift Current has got to find a way to score on their powerplays, especially on a team like MJ that plays the rough style and takes a slew of penalties. If you're Swifty you have to make that hurt. Tonight, the Broncos' PP was poor.

-the guys lacked intensity at some points in the game...that was too obvious. Again, this is where we could use Dale Weise. A gut-wrenching body check would really help. Mind you, Codey Eakin laid one out on Ellerby in the first period and got called for it.{by Savage :)} So I guess that's not a valid point to bring up. You never know when His Majesty Chris is on the ice.

-our veteran players played pretty well tonight except....I guess whoever was there to watch the game knows what the exception tonight was....

-the bottom line is that MJ left with the two points. I think one point is good enough for the Broncos, but obviously the extra one would have helped...they all do. Good on the Warriors for winning this one.

-I haven't been that mad leaving a game in a looong long time...all because of the waved off winning goal.

-the Broncos are 9-2-0-1 versus Regina and Moose Jaw this season. That's a really nice stat, considering they're teams we have somewhat of a heated rivalry with.

-it is what it is.

Have a good Monday.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

The Exception was Levi Nelson... As far as the waved off goal. It was cleary a high stick nothing we can do about that. As much as i think savage is a jokeshow it was the right call.

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
It's been nearly 20 hours since the game...

Savage still sucks.

That is all.

ointhecreek
03-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Levi is starting to let his temper get the best of him again. Took that 10 minute misconduct when we needed him the most. The last while he has been playing with emotion, but under control but last night he played a very selfish game.

Flathead
03-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Levi is starting to let his temper get the best of him again. Took that 10 minute misconduct when we needed him the most. The last while he has been playing with emotion, but under control but last night he played a very selfish game.
Ya Levi has been playing some awesome hockey as of late and for 39 minutes last night he was playing awesome again. Then he just lost it and never saw the ice again, it's to bad to bad to because he was drawing penalties and being the antagoniser that he is and besides Felde was about the only other guy that remembered that hockey is a contact sport last night. Oh, well we're still playing good hockey and getting points.