PDA

View Full Version : The WHITE HOUSE....

Nielson11
03-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Anyone else think that is a good playoff name for the Enmax Center.

I think it's catchy.....Enmax Centre...a.k.a White House

Names I've been tossing around in my head....

The Enmax Center needs a nickname...you have any good ideas?

Nielson

RunTheGoalie
03-28-2005, 06:34 PM
"The copycat dome"

It's interesting to hear all of the comparisons between the Hurricanes this year and the Flames last year, especially in terms of fan enthusiasm.

Orv
03-28-2005, 07:54 PM
"The copycat dome"

It's interesting to hear all of the comparisons between the Hurricanes this year and the Flames last year, especially in terms of fan enthusiasm.

But do you notice that the majority of the comparisons are coming from the Calgary media. Ex. Eric "I'm a Dumbass" Francis and his White Mile Smiles articles. (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Francis/2005/03/26/973006-sun.html)

Also I like the White House for the name of Enmax. Maybe a few of the Hitmen girlfriends would like to be the next intern???

Nielson11
03-28-2005, 07:57 PM
haha...the Hurricanes copying the Flames...are you kidding me.

The Calgary media started the whole White Mile thing.....now the Hitmen are going for a Black Sea......sounds good, sounds familar. Unfortunately the Hitmen will not have a run like the Flames did. It's kinda scary the Ego of Ryan Getlzaf is bigger than Iginla.

LethMan_9
03-29-2005, 11:45 AM
The big thing really now in any big hockey game is to have a color scheme for the crowd. Philly had its Orange, Tampa bay had its white, but the most notable has to be Calgarys "Sea of Red", and Phoenix's "white out". (all talking NHL of course). Now looking at the WHL, the same effect is starting to take place. No one is trying to copy anyone, its just something that the organizations are trying to do. The Hitmens "Black Sea", or the Hurricanes "white out", its no big deal. Ohh... and by the way, i like the name of the "white house" for the Enmax center.

LethMan_9

grumphy
03-29-2005, 11:47 AM
We have had the orange wave in the Hat @ playoff time for years, (when we made it that far :) )

RunTheGoalie
03-29-2005, 01:34 PM
In Medicine Hat though, it's driven by the fans, just like the Flames C of red. The rest of them either give out shirts to create the look, or their attempts fail miserably.

I agree though, the "all fans wear the same colour" thing has become the latest hockey fashion because of the Flames run last year.

I doubt very many people outside of Flames fans even know the C of red is over 20 years old.

In 1985, the Jets copied it by inventing the Winnipeg Whiteout, giving away white shirts in the process. That tradition was stolen by the Coyotes.

But after last year, every one of the conference finalists copied Calgary. San Jose embarrassed itself with a brutal "ocean of teal". Apparently they thought that people actually owned teal shirts, and expected the fans would bring their own shirts.

Philly did the same, with similar results. The second time around they actually gave out shirts. Ditto the Lightning.

And, of course, other Calgary teams have tried to cash in on the fad as well. The Roughnecks asked fans to wear black for the NLL Championship game. And now, Lethbridge and the Hitmen doing the same things.

All copycats, and poor imitations of the original.

Orv - I dont think anybody in Calgary would disagree that Francis is a dumbass.

LifelongChiefsFan
03-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Anyone else think that is a good playoff name for the Enmax Center.

I think it's catchy.....Enmax Centre...a.k.a White House

Names I've been tossing around in my head....

The Enmax Center needs a nickname...you have any good ideas?

Nielson

The White House, I like it! Except wouldn't the British have to come over and burn it down at some point?

Number_4
03-30-2005, 12:48 AM
The White House, I like it! Except wouldn't the British have to come over and burn it down at some point?

Dont forget the presidential mansion too... aka Hoffards house perhaps??

Side note for those that dont know history (or couldnt care less): The incident in question occured Aug 24, 1814, when British forces marched to Washington. Thanks to the end of the Napoleon wars in europe, the British actually had the forces to come to Canada's rescue. This is prolly one of the main reasons in history why Canada isnt a part of the US (any more than they already are).

Spungy
03-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the little lesson! :D

sounds like a good name Neilson

Nielson11
03-30-2005, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the little lesson! :D

sounds like a good name Neilson

Thanks man,

NOW GET THOSE ICE going...down 2-1 to the Loops...would have never happened while I was living in Cranny