PDA

View Full Version : Monday Notes

Scout
03-04-2008, 07:15 AM
with Gregg Drinnan

Monday, March 3, 2008

Monday's notes . . .
D Victor Bartley, 19, of the Regina Pats is the Boston Pizza WHL player of the week. Bartley, who was acquired from the Kamloops Blazers on Jan. 4, had six points, including five assists, and was plus-2 as the Pats went 3-0 last week. . . . The Medicine Hat Tigers are 6-0 against Edmonton this season as the Oil Kings prepare to play at the Arena on Tuesday night. Yes, the game will be a sellout — the 226th consecutive, including regular season and playoff games. . . . Medicine Hat F Brennan Bosch has 11 points, including 10 assists, in those games, while G Ryan Holfeld is 5-0 with two shutouts. . . . Medicine Hat F Yashar Farmanara played his 300th regular-season WHL game Saturday as the Tigers beat the Raiders 3-1 in Prince Albert. . . . Medicine Hat will be in Edmonton on Wednesday in a game to be televised by Shaw Cable. . . .

F Garry Nunn (shoulder) didn’t practice Monday with the Vancouver Giants. Nunn, who has 29 points in 35 games, isn’t likely to play Wednesday in Kelowna against the Rockets. . . . D Simon Witt, who was taken by Vancouver in the fifth round of the 2007 bantam draft, practised with the Giants on Monday. He plays for the B.C. major midget league’s South Island Thunderbirds. . . . LW Daniel Bartek of the Brandon Wheat Kings has missed three games with a knee injury but took part in a full practice on Monday. . . . A tip of the cap to Kootenay Ice head coach Mark Holick. His club lost 3-2 in the circus to the visiting Tri-City Americans on Saturday night but you didn’t hear any moaning from him. “For sheer entertainment value, I had the best seat in the house,” Holick told Jeff Bromley of the Kootenay NewsAdvertiser. “That was awesome.” Holick was referring to the performance turned in by Tri-City G Chet Pickard, who stopped 37 shots. “I thought maybe we had the game-winner. I don’t know how he made the save on (Steve) Da Silva’s chance," Holick said. “I mean, we all thought it was in or that he just missed through the crease. It was heck of a save and he’s one hell of a goalie.” . . . All too often, it seems, a coach, rather than credit the other team, bemoans the fact his club lost. This wasn’t one of those cases. Well done, Mr. Holick. . . . Ice C Tylan Stephens (concussion) was injured on the weekend and will for at least a week. . . . LW James Dobrowolski has been suspended for one game for a cross-checking major he incurred against Medicine Hat on Saturday. . . .

The Portland Winter Hawks' 2-1 loss to the Kelowna Rockets on Sunday night was the club's 20th defeat in a row (two of those were in overtime). The Hawks have seven games remaining and have scored 116 goals. The Canadian Hockey League record for fewest goals for in a season is 135 set by Swift Current in 2004-05. You do the math. The Broncos still managed 22 victories in 04-05. Portland currently has nine.