PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Lock Up Peters With Three Year Extension

chiefaholic
03-07-2008, 10:30 AM
From Spokanechiefs.com
CHIEFS LOCK UP PETERS WITH THREE YEAR EXTENSION
3/6/2008

The Spokane Chiefs have announced that Head Coach Bill Peters has signed a three-year contract extension that will keep him on the bench through the 2010-11 season. Peters is currently in the third year of a three-year deal that he originally signed prior to the 2005-06 season.

“We are happy to commit to Bill and his family with another contract,” Chiefs General Manager Tim Speltz said. “He has done a great job with our team in ever aspect; our on ice product has met and probably exceeded expectations and he is committed to the development of our young players. Bill also understands the off ice responsibility to our players, organization and community.”

“I’m especially proud of the fact that Bill started with us at the ground level as a volunteer who assisted at our training camp,” Chiefs President Bobby Brett said. “I always felt that he had head coach potential and he has earned his second contract as the Chiefs head coach.”

“Its rewarding to receive a contract extension,” Peters said. “I think we have made great strides the past three years but, obviously, there is still a lot of work to be done. I look forward to coaching the group that we have and the group that will be coming back in the foreseeable future. Right now, we have a group that wants to have team success.”

Peters is already third on the franchise’s all-time wins list with 106 through 65 games this season. The Chiefs improved from 25 wins and 58 points in his first season on the bench to 36 wins and 80 points last year.

Spokane is second in the Western Conference, two points behind the Tri-City Americans and Vancouver Giants for the top spot. The Chiefs will host the Americans on Friday night with Chilliwack visiting on Saturday night. This week, Spokane was ranked third in the CHL’s Top 10 rankings and holds a 45-14-1-5 record.

Tickets to all home games are available by calling the Chiefs office at (509) 535-PUCK or TicketsWest at (800) 325-SEAT.

This is great news for Chiefs fans. Peters made some promises when he arrived here in Spokane 3 years ago , and he has not disappointed one bit. This Chiefs fan is both relieved and excited that they wasted no time extending his contract. Congrats Petey!! applause

old_time_hockey
03-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Solid move for the Chiefs

chiefaholic
03-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Solid move for the Chiefs

Yes indeed. Ever since Mike Babcock left the chiefs ,the organization has been searching for a good junior hockey coach. I had a pretty good feeling when they hired Peters (who was Babcocks assistant in spokane at one point) That he would come in and turn this back into a respectable team. He has definately done that. He is a great bench boss who is very concerned with these kids development as well. Very smart move locking him up for another 3 years IMO

HomerSimpson
03-08-2008, 11:15 AM
pbj

Let's all do the banana dance. Petey's the kind of coach junior hockey clubs dream of. Home grown, puts together an exciting, winning program. Seems like he actually wants to be here too, not like he's just here as a stepping stone.