PDA

View Full Version : WHL Finals

Bugsy
03-07-2008, 06:28 PM
If the Hitmen do make it to the finals, who would you like to see them play the most? I think a series against the Spokane Chiefs would be cool. We'd get to see Ryan Letts in action again. Go Hitmen!!!!!! punk rock

Speedy Broncs
03-07-2008, 07:36 PM
With the other 7 teams in the Eastern Conference playoffs, IF is a pretty big word to use right now, don't you think? There are some great teams in the conference and anyone can beat anyone any night!! Should be an exciting playoffs - but thinking about the finals right now is a little premature.

hitmanfan
03-07-2008, 09:19 PM
You can add Falk and Kelner to that list as well. And Speedy Broncos, relax it's just a little thinking aloud.

dagley
03-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Id like to see another Brandon/Calgary Conference Final, but since the seedings will probably not favor that chance I'd love to see it. It still was the best game 7 I have ever been to in Brandon. Nothing better than Stone/Fehr/Konsarada/Monych/Later taking down Mr. Getzlaf and Ladd.

localguy
03-08-2008, 09:47 AM
and of those many players mentioned, which of the Brandon alum are lighting it up in the show? How many have cup rings already?

sbtatter
03-08-2008, 09:59 AM
and of those many players mentioned, which of the Brandon alum are lighting it up in the show? How many have cup rings already? You're right, the WK players mentioned won the battle but ultimately lost the war!!
I was trying to think that other than Getzlaff and Perry, who else from that team has gone to the NHL, there must be a couple? Getzlaff oozed "pro potential" with his explosiveness, was just a bit inconsistent. Ladd was injured so not very effective in that final.
I always thought Fehr was a little too timid to go far, Stone had skating issues that could make him a career minor leaguer (if you combined the best traits of Stone and Fehr you'd have Getzlaff!!), I thought Monych had enough talent, speed and grit to make it but I was obviously wrong, Later, all the talent and toughness in the world but has a screw loose.....Thought we were going to beat Kelowna but it wasn't to be......

wheat_city96
03-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Calgary doesnt have to worry about who they play in the WHL finals cause they wont be in the WHL finals.

i can see them choking in the first or second round. :laugh:

wheat_city96
03-08-2008, 05:05 PM
and of those many players mentioned, which of the Brandon alum are lighting it up in the show? How many have cup rings already?

And how many big name players have the hurricanes produced in the last five years?

localguy
03-08-2008, 05:17 PM
You're right, the WK players mentioned won the battle but ultimately lost the war!!
I was trying to think that other than Getzlaff and Perry, who else from that team has gone to the NHL, there must be a couple? Getzlaff oozed "pro potential" with his explosiveness, was just a bit inconsistent. Ladd was injured so not very effective in that final.
I always thought Fehr was a little too timid to go far, Stone had skating issues that could make him a career minor leaguer (if you combined the best traits of Stone and Fehr you'd have Getzlaff!!), I thought Monych had enough talent, speed and grit to make it but I was obviously wrong, Later, all the talent and toughness in the world but has a screw loose.....Thought we were going to beat Kelowna but it wasn't to be......

Actually it was Andew Ladd, Perry played for the knights. Andy Rodgers, Justin Pogge, and one other first round d-man on gthat squad. I remember b/c we finnished first in the central, and lost in 5 to the Hitmen. The Wheaties looked so good that year too, very high powered offense. And for the record, I never said anything about high end talent out of Lethbridge, but the name Brent Seabrook may ring a bell, and if I am not mistaken, we have a couple guys poised to go in the first round this year. My point was, as good as that group of kids was in Brandon, and they were good, as of yet none have done much since (except Fehr, who should be a full timer next sesaon in the NHL).

sbtatter
03-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Actually it was Andew Ladd, Perry played for the knights. Andy Rodgers, Justin Pogge, and one other first round d-man on gthat squad. I remember b/c we finnished first in the central, and lost in 5 to the Hitmen. The Wheaties looked so good that year too, very high powered offense. And for the record, I never said anything about high end talent out of Lethbridge, but the name Brent Seabrook may ring a bell, and if I am not mistaken, we have a couple guys poised to go in the first round this year. My point was, as good as that group of kids was in Brandon, and they were good, as of yet none have done much since (except Fehr, who should be a full timer next sesaon in the NHL).
Thanks for the correction, I meant ladd, whenever I think Getzlaff now I associate his present Ducks teammate with him!! When you look and see none of the WK's from that year have made it, you're reminded that you not only need speed and skill, but grittiness to get a sniff at the big show. Wasn't Dylan Yeo playing for Calgary as well, he has played in both manitoba and Victoria this year.
As far as the Hurricanes go, Boychuk will be first round, is Sibisia in the draft? If so, he'll go high, and if your goalies are in the draft I think they'll go high too....
What's with the Canes and WK's lately, feels like we're both backing into the playoffs a bit.....

localguy
03-08-2008, 06:26 PM
ya, it really is a little unnerving, I am just hoping they win in the next 6 more thatn 4 times, or we could easily end up in the 7 or 8 spot. I am hoping they both can turn it around, b/c all the other teams just keep on winning.

sbtatter
03-08-2008, 10:31 PM
ya, it really is a little unnerving, I am just hoping they win in the next 6 more thatn 4 times, or we could easily end up in the 7 or 8 spot. I am hoping they both can turn it around, b/c all the other teams just keep on winning. Well, we both won tonight!!

localguy
03-09-2008, 08:31 AM
yes but so did kootenay and the hat and regina

hitmanfan
03-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Jeff Schultz would also be an member of that team that made the show.

sbtatter
03-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Is he still playing with the Caps? And is that really his brother who now throws the knucles for you guys this season?

hitmanfan
03-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Ya, Jeff is still playing for the Caps. Hard to believe Ian is his "little" brother. Jeff was very calm and non aggressive and Ian is super aggressive, loves throwing and can score some as well. And the best thing is he is still 17.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-09-2008, 02:16 PM
As far as the Hurricanes go, Boychuk will be first round, is Sibisia in the draft? If so, he'll go high, and if your goalies are in the draft I think they'll go high too....
What's with the Canes and WK's lately, feels like we're both backing into the playoffs a bit.....
Yes SBISA is rated 30th by ISS. Niether goalie is listed by any scouting service. Maniago is 19 and has been passed over for 2 years. Metsola however is in his draft year and with his great numbers this year he may go in the late rounds. He has second best GAA and it should say he is at 1.98, not 2.02 as listed on the WHL website. He played last night in Red Deer, but the league at the moment has credited the stats and game played etc to Maniago. Don't know why but if they correct it, Metsola will have GAA of 1.98.

localguy
03-09-2008, 05:50 PM
That was the other first rounder that I couldn't remeber the name of. Wasn't there another d-an, Carson I think, where is he at?

hitmanfan
03-09-2008, 06:39 PM
That would be Brett Carson of Whitewood SK. Playing for the Albany River Rats, Carolinas' farm team. Looks like a dandy at the 'Dome tonight.

sbtatter
03-09-2008, 06:40 PM
That would be Brett Carson of Whitewood SK. Playing for the Albany River Rats, Carolinas' farm team.
Yeah, he was a good tough no nonsense dman...

Bugsy
03-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Wow, this has sort of veered off course. Oh well, that's what converstions do sometimes. No need to get uptight about it.