PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Win! Letts get Assist!

Pete76
03-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Not to gloat, but that was one helluva dominating effort ... I'm glad Dustin got the shutout; the boyz did not take dumb penalties tonight, and had some great penalty kill efforts when the score was still close ... the team looked like they did in the first half of the season, AWESOME!

As for the Ams fans bangin' on Letts, I'm glad he got a point, he played well and took no dumb penalties.

TriFan2005
03-08-2008, 01:18 AM
yah good game spokane. bad game ams. i didn't watch the game as im over at state cheering on the hanford girls bball team but i did listen to it via web. i missed the yellow horn fight though. how did that turn out?

Pete76
03-08-2008, 10:15 AM
not sure how the fight turned out, we were late (typical with trying to get three kids 4 and under to a game) ... and we are not allowed to listen to the game on the radio on the drive, or so says my daughter with the case of dvd's ...

HomerSimpson
03-08-2008, 11:21 AM
It was actually a great tilt. Yellow's a better fighter than I would have figured, I've seen Rudy go up against some big guys and do fairly well. It was very entertaining to see the little guys go at it. Rutherford gets the unanimous decision since Yellow was split, though. :thumb:

Did you guys catch the plays of the week on the WHL website this week? On the number 1 play, Pickard makes a HUGE save.........and then gloats about it immediately after.

Not to open that can of worms again. vci33

Ams2Fan
03-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Did you guys catch the plays of the week on the WHL website this week? On the number 1 play, Pickard makes a HUGE save.........and then gloats about it immediately after.

Not to open that can of worms again. vci33

Oh, you mean like when the players celebrate when they score a goal? Geesh.. what a jerk!

Rebelchild
03-08-2008, 01:54 PM
:groovy: It was GREAT game! :clap: It was fast. Both teams were hitting hard. I don't remember ever hearing Yellowhorn had fought before so I about fell out of my seat when he went at it with Rudy. I would give the win to Rudy even tho they were both still on their feet. At the end it looked like Yellowhorn was just trying to push him away. He was pooped. I am sure it is much more exicting for us Chief fans than for you AMs fans but what a game. Can any of you tell me if this was Yellowhorn's first fight this year? Somewhere on here I read that you thought the key to beating us was to get physical with us. I would definitely say you accoplished that. You also spent almost as much time in our net as Tic did so Chet has been "revenged" for lack of a better word. But do any of you feel that being that physical kind of threw you off your game a little? I kind of get the impression that you guys would rather skate fast (I love watching Johnny Lazo!) than hit hard. Anyway - great game guys! Glad we won but great game!

HomerSimpson
03-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh, you mean like when the players celebrate when they score a goal? Geesh.. what a jerk!

Not many goaltenders turn around and pump their fists in the air after one save...that's all I'm saying.

BTW - after the game last night, Ryan Letts cut Pickard off on his way to the bench. For everyone's own closure, Letts' exact words to him were "good game" and he tapped him on the pads. He then repeated himself again "good game."

I think Pickard was as surprised as anyone.

TriFan2005
03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
as far as i know that is yellow's first fight this season, last year he sort of went at it with Beach but beach had a big jump on him and it wasnt much of a tilt. Last year though yellow did drop the gloves to stick up for Michael Kaye (his buddy that came with him from lethbridge) and the guy he fought was a monster and he did pretty good. his advantage at fight is that he's so stocky BUT at the same time its a disadvantage as he has no reach.

as far as pickard gloating ya i saw that PoTW and glad to see that side of him. so i guess he is a cocky kid, but hey at least he backs it up right? most goalies are the calm and quiet type, i guess pickard isn't a typical goalie though.

on the physical play part of the game i feel we play our best game when we hit hard and battle on the boards. it slows the game down enough for us to get some good breakouts and have the odd man rushes. when we try to play finese and skill we do ok, but the best games i've seen us play are when we are dominating physically (i know it's hard for you spokane fans to imagine our tiny team checking but we can do it. lazo lays some good hits for a tiny guy let me tell you). the line that will always set the tone for us is hoff, mcauley and stoklassa if they play a good physical game then 9/10 times we win.

glad to see we gave tokarski a rough night as far as being in his face, wish we could've given him a rough night on the stat sheet to though. i noticed we got a goalie interference call. was it just a bump?

Pete76
03-09-2008, 02:50 PM
i noticed we got a goalie interference call. was it just a bump?

nah, you guys put him on his butt a few times:)

But not as bad as Wahl's hit on the chilliwack goalie last night ... he drilled him!

TriFan2005
03-09-2008, 04:40 PM
well hey glad to see we at least tried to get in tokarski's face.... btw who's coming down on the 15th. that game should decide the league title!

HomerSimpson
03-10-2008, 05:48 PM
as far as i know that is yellow's first fight this season, last year he sort of went at it with Beach but beach had a big jump on him and it wasnt much of a tilt. Last year though yellow did drop the gloves to stick up for Michael Kaye (his buddy that came with him from lethbridge) and the guy he fought was a monster and he did pretty good. his advantage at fight is that he's so stocky BUT at the same time its a disadvantage as he has no reach.

as far as pickard gloating ya i saw that PoTW and glad to see that side of him. so i guess he is a cocky kid, but hey at least he backs it up right? most goalies are the calm and quiet type, i guess pickard isn't a typical goalie though.

on the physical play part of the game i feel we play our best game when we hit hard and battle on the boards. it slows the game down enough for us to get some good breakouts and have the odd man rushes. when we try to play finese and skill we do ok, but the best games i've seen us play are when we are dominating physically (i know it's hard for you spokane fans to imagine our tiny team checking but we can do it. lazo lays some good hits for a tiny guy let me tell you). the line that will always set the tone for us is hoff, mcauley and stoklassa if they play a good physical game then 9/10 times we win.

glad to see we gave tokarski a rough night as far as being in his face, wish we could've given him a rough night on the stat sheet to though. i noticed we got a goalie interference call. was it just a bump?

How is it that all of a sudden Spokane is a big team? Look through our lineup: Bowman/Wahl/Bruton; Bowman is the big guy at 6'0" 180lbs. Blackwater/Roman/Rutherford; all under 6'1", Koper/Johnson/McCrae; all under 6'1", and then you get to our fourth line which features Kelner at 6'2", Letts at 6'2" and the mighty Seth Compton at a generously listed 5'10". And then there's Dustin Donaghy at 5'11" 185, who has been perhaps our most aggressive forward.

What about our massive defense? Outside of Cowen and Falk; Glass, Reddington and Bartman are the only 3 who are 6'0" tall, and Redder is the biggest of the three at 205 pounds.

Who says little teams can't check? If we can play physical, why would we be surprised at you guys playing physical?

TriFan2005
03-10-2008, 10:39 PM
i guess you guys arent a huge team but you have a few true "power forwards". where we have.... um vey? i guess you could say he is a power foward. just for the style of players we have (more finese than power) i figured most of you spokane fans would be surpised to hear we play at our best when we're physical.

as far as d-men go we have mccolm and schmidt who are occasionally a physical style of player. you could throw mestery in there too but size wise we have nothing on your d-corps in my opinion.

by the way Chiefs vs Ams for the West Conference Title would be the best playoff series ever.

LinkGaetzFan
03-10-2008, 11:14 PM
i guess you guys arent a huge team but you have a few true "power forwards". where we have.... um vey? i guess you could say he is a power foward. just for the style of players we have (more finese than power) i figured most of you spokane fans would be surpised to hear we play at our best when we're physical.

as far as d-men go we have mccolm and schmidt who are occasionally a physical style of player. you could throw mestery in there too but size wise we have nothing on your d-corps in my opinion.

by the way Chiefs vs Ams for the West Conference Title would be the best playoff series ever.

I agree, and it would be a shame if it didn't go 7 games into overtime to decide it. I hate to say it, but I'd root for the Ams if they did end up moving past the Chiefs. I thought it was a class act the way Kolzig and Barnes banded together to buy the team and turn it into a contender.

HomerSimpson
03-13-2008, 05:13 PM
I agree, and it would be a shame if it didn't go 7 games into overtime to decide it. I hate to say it, but I'd root for the Ams if they did end up moving past the Chiefs. I thought it was a class act the way Kolzig and Barnes banded together to buy the team and turn it into a contender.

I think alot of die-hard Chiefs fans would. The Chiefs/Ams rivalry is one of the best in all of junior hockey, but deep down inside, I think it's fantastic that the Ams are doing so well. Just a couple of years ago, I dreaded Saturday nights because it meant another Chiefs/Ams meaningless game.....now I'm going to Kennewick this weekend because I can't get enough of it.

Great for the US division, great for the WHL. If the Chiefs should somehow get eliminated, I'm pulling Tri and Kootenay all the way!

HomerSimpson
03-13-2008, 05:14 PM

What about Fast? He would be third on the Chiefs in PIMs.

TriFan2005
03-13-2008, 08:37 PM
fast doesn't get penalties for being physical. i think all year he has maybe 1 roughing penalty. his penalties are all tripping/hooking/delay of game/being a lazy 20 yr old/ being over rated/ not checking/ diving/ getting caught out of position too much/not sticking up for pickard like he should/being a horrible leader on a great team.
oh sorry half of those weren't legit calls. anyway fast is not a physical presence, in my mind he isn't even a presence out there. all fo his calls are from when he rushes into the offensive end with the puck and loses it being stupid and has to hook a guy to get back in the play. he is a flat out pansy when it comes to checking or fighting or even talking trash.

Rebelchild
03-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Am I wrong or isn't he your Captain? Are there many other fans who feel the same way you do? Wow. I am marginally shocked. I know a lot of you dislike our Captain but I cannot imagine anyone saying anything like this about him. He is DEFINTELY a presence on our team. So, if what you say is true, who do you think is actually the leader for your team? Who gets it done in the locker room on the motivational end? The guys need someone to look up to and keep them cohesive.

HomerSimpson
03-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Am I wrong or isn't he your Captain? Are there many other fans who feel the same way you do? Wow. I am marginally shocked. I know a lot of you dislike our Captain but I cannot imagine anyone saying anything like this about him. He is DEFINTELY a presence on our team. So, if what you say is true, who do you think is actually the leader for your team? Who gets it done in the locker room on the motivational end? The guys need someone to look up to and keep them cohesive.

Remember the whole Chris Bruton/Kyle Beach incident? It wasn't too long ago...I think discussions on these very boards had some Tri City fans talking about how Bruton has no business being a captain in this league, and how he's a goon and a terrible player. Something to that extent, anyways, and how they're glad they have a strong captain down in Kennewick this year.

How quickly things change.

Bruton is the local hero, humanitarian of the year award for his team, got a standing O in his final regular season game here.

And Fast is getting dissed on these very boards for being lazy by a Tri City fan on the day the teams will meet for the game that decides it all.

Rebelchild
03-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Like I said, I was pretty surprised to read those comments about TJ. I had never heard anything to suggest that he was such a loser for lack of another word. Maybe something happened internally that that specific fan is ticked off about. As far as Bruts vs Beach - I was behind bruts 100%. Beach got exactly what he deserved. Anyway - old news.

Ams4life
03-15-2008, 11:46 AM
People don't always understand that you don't have to be the greatest player on the team to be the captain! You just have to be a leader on and off the ice and show great work ethic! Be an inspiration to some of the younger players! Thats what it is all about! I can't wait for tonights game and by the way....I think that T.J is a GREAT captain and he knows how to play the game! I guess we all have our own opinions. If the ams get eliminated I will also be saying go chiefs go! Good luck tonight and for all you Spokane fans...DRIVE SAFE!

HomerSimpson
03-15-2008, 01:35 PM
fast doesn't get penalties for being physical. i think all year he has maybe 1 roughing penalty. his penalties are all tripping/hooking/delay of game/being a lazy 20 yr old/ being over rated/ not checking/ diving/ getting caught out of position too much/not sticking up for pickard like he should/being a horrible leader on a great team.
oh sorry half of those weren't legit calls. anyway fast is not a physical presence, in my mind he isn't even a presence out there. all fo his calls are from when he rushes into the offensive end with the puck and loses it being stupid and has to hook a guy to get back in the play. he is a flat out pansy when it comes to checking or fighting or even talking trash.

In your own words, brotha. If he's setting an example for your younger players by being a hard worker (not the best player) then why is he taking so many lazy penalties?

I'm not trying to be mean...I just want to know the rationale for such harsh words about Fast, and I appreciate your being a good sport here.

TriFan2005
03-16-2008, 12:54 AM
My Opinion of TJ Fast before 3/14/08

as far as fast setting the example for the younger guys he really doesn't. that's why our blue line is so soft in the physical department. the young kids we have don't have anyone to look up to that will lay that crushing hit or knock a guy into next week for skating into pickard. to me a captain shouldn't always be the skill guy but the guy who has the character to stick up for "his" boys. fast doesn't/hasn't/won't have that intangible. sure we don't want someone like Bruton who does it too much (in my opinion) or pushes it too far but ya know the kids just knowing someone has their back out there goes a long ways.

sure he is great to jump into the rush, but we have forwards who do that just fine. as far as his penalty minutes like i said he really hasn't done anything that could come close to being called a check all year. hasn't fought, hasn't hit, hasn't been the presence a 20yr old blueliner should be.

my opinion of TJ Fast after 3/14 & 3/15 games

he had a horrible 1st and most of the 2nd against Kelowna and then someone woke the sleeping giant. fast got hit from behind and it was really dirty. Petr Stoklassa and Crew went in to stick up for Fast and Fast hopped up a brand new player.

Last night (vs KEL) after that hit he was standing in front of pickard at the whistle, he was checking, playing blue collar defense and not trying to be a forward.
Tonight (vs SPO) he came out and left it all on the ice, exactly what you'd want from a 20yr old captain. He was a game changing presence, even in the first 10 mins of the game I was screaming GO TJ GO! my gf was asking me if i had too many beers b/c she couldn't believe it.

SO sorry it's a huge post but i wanted to answer fairly. if i were to rate TJ's season as a whole i'd give him a C (not for Captain though, but for the 72% effort he gave every night). from last season he left me with high expectations but he came back from the Sharks camp with no effort. totally not what I would want in a captain. as for the last to games he gets an A. huge effort, huge plays at huge times. all i can say is thanks to kelowna for waking him up!

to answer the question about our teams true leader if it isn't fast. i say yellow horn is a huge leader by example. vey is the locker room guy, he's the only one who's been around here for 5 years and knows the ropes. procyschen (haha can't spell that one drunk!) is the emotional leader, when he was gone our team was missing that intangible and it showed.

well sorry again for the long post. hope it answers your ?'s

Ams2Fan
03-16-2008, 03:14 PM
For the record, the majority of Ams fans do not feel that way about T.J. Fast. (No disrespect to you TriFan2005.) He has definitely taken a period or two off this season and there was a short time where it seemed like he was just off for a few games, but I have a suspicion that he was playing ill. It was around the time that a lot of the other players had the flu. For the most part T.J. is a level-headed, hard-working player who follows the friggin' rules and plays with heart. THAT is what I want in a captain. I'm not even going to touch on comparing him to Bruton because I'm pretty sure I've made my feelings about Chris known.

TriFan2005
03-17-2008, 09:14 PM
you know ams2fan i really know of several fans...... at least 20 people who are true fans and know the game/players that feel the same way i do. as far as being a player who follows the rules yeah he does that as far as not trying to hurt anyone which is great BUT do you really want your team captain/#1 D-man to be the guy on the teams with the fewest hits in the season? honestly if yellowhorn, lazo, pro, mestery, reddick and the others are more willing to take the body than your leader and #1 D-man how do you expect a young guy like Werbowski to learn what it takes to be a solid Defenseman in the WHL.

I know from my experience watching WHL, NHL, and playing hockey until i was 17 that Fast's style of play is not what I would want leading my team if i was a coach or player. I would want my top d-man to be an intimidating presence. the type of guy that no one will go boardside on in fear of getting crushed. the guy who is the first to step in front of the goalie when play stops. that's not fast plain and simple. sure he does awesome on offense BUT we've got forwards who can bury the puck in the net. we don't have d-men who will take the body and/or punish someone for even snow showering the goalie.

his stats are VERY misleading as far as +/- goes. he plays d while yellow, reddick and pro/gardner are on the ice. give werbowski a chance to play every shift with those guys in front of him and of course he'll lead the team in +/-.

i don't know just offensively fast takes too many risks and hurts the team by his not so fast decision making with the puck. defensively he doesn't play solid d he plays finese d and it's just not what I or many others like in D-men. say someone like Niedermeyer didn't take the body playing for the ducks and all he did was poke check poke check and rush into the offensive zone he'd probally not be around anymore.

either way its my opinion and it's nothing personal against TJ, he's actually a great kid well guy. (i guess i should tell everyone i'm 21 so i kind of hang out with a few of the guys) and honestly i give him crap about not taking the body and about not dropping the gloves. he isn't a fighter he always tells me, he doesn't take the body because he got used to the college game. the reason he came here was alot of wanting to get noticed more AND wanting to get used to a physical game. either way he knows i don't like his style of d and i know his style of d is better than i ever played so with that said hope he stays in the same form he was in friday/saturday with the season on the line

Pete76
03-18-2008, 09:21 AM
(i guess i should tell everyone i'm 21 so i kind of hang out with a few of the guys)

funny ... the majority of your posts now make sence ... living vicariously ...

Ams2Fan
03-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Well, TriFan2005... you and the 20 other people you know are absolutely entitled to your opinion. It seems, though, that your main argument is that T.J. shouldn't be our captain because he doesn't throw the body around and maybe plays offense a little too much. I'm pretty sure that when Nachbaur was looking for traits he wanted his captain to have he was more concerned with work ethic, attitude, leadership skills and someone who sets a good example on and off the ice. There is not a single player on our team who you can say makes good decisions 100% of the time, never makes mistakes and has never had a bad night. My personal opinion, and the opinion of the majority of season ticket holders I know, is that T.J. fits the role of captain well. It IS true, however, that there are quite a few guys on the team who would also make good captains and just about all of them are wearing 'A's.

I will admit that there was a point earlier in the season when I was crying for a fill in captain because T.J. had a few bad games in a row (bad meaning slow, lots of mistakes, etc.). Soon after I learned that a lot of the kids were sick and that is why I think he wasn't playing well.

Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion. I just wanted the other people who read this board to know that you don't speak for the majority.

Ams2Fan
03-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Also, remember that "his style of d" got the game-winning goal in the biggest game of the regular season which earned the Ams their first banners in the history of the franchise.

TriFan2005
03-18-2008, 10:09 PM
well i guess my opinion of tj formed around that time when everyone was getting ill too. and hey as i said this weekend vs the entire season was a whole different Captain Fast. i have to admit i like the ne and improved version much better

as far as pete saying my posts make since.... like because i'm 21 my opinion is less accurate? or because of me hanging with the guys? be specific please lol. i just hope you don't respect my posts less now because i'm young. i played hockey until i was 16. had a slight stint with titans and then gave hockey up. i definitely know the game pretty well i would say.i used to go to school with the team so i knew them decently well but now that i'm over the 20yr old limit most of the guys i knew are gone.

HomerSimpson
03-19-2008, 04:42 PM
well i guess my opinion of tj formed around that time when everyone was getting ill too. and hey as i said this weekend vs the entire season was a whole different Captain Fast. i have to admit i like the ne and improved version much better

as far as pete saying my posts make since.... like because i'm 21 my opinion is less accurate? or because of me hanging with the guys? be specific please lol. i just hope you don't respect my posts less now because i'm young. i played hockey until i was 16. had a slight stint with titans and then gave hockey up. i definitely know the game pretty well i would say.i used to go to school with the team so i knew them decently well but now that i'm over the 20yr old limit most of the guys i knew are gone.

I think he stated exactly what he was getting at...look up the word "vicariously" and you'll get it.

I'm 23 years old and I don't run around bragging about hanging out with players. I don't hang out with the players, either though... :skeptical

TriFan2005
03-19-2008, 10:30 PM
well i don't have to look the word up because i know what it meant.... thanks though for that.

as far as me trying to seem like im part of the team......... are you questioning my fanhood homer?

Ams4life
03-20-2008, 03:55 PM
This is a very interesting topic that you guys have going here or maybe conversation. I just want to say that TJ is a GREAT Captain and leads us well!

HomerSimpson
03-20-2008, 05:48 PM
well i don't have to look the word up because i know what it meant.... thanks though for that.

as far as me trying to seem like im part of the team......... are you questioning my fanhood homer?

Nobody's questioning your fanhood...just questioning your motives for being a fan. And it wasn't even me that was questioning you. I was simply trying to help clear up his point.