PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 1 @ Ice 3

Big Ern
03-09-2008, 03:10 PM
What is the mindset of the team coming off this one?

I think Coach Kehler explained it very well in last night's post-game show in Cranbrook. The goal is still to win the division. Mathematically, the Broncos can still do that...IF Regina loses out. Unlikely? Yes. But possible? Yes. At the same time, the Broncos really can't be torn about it if they don't win the pennant. If you look at the last 25 games, Swift Current has played EXTREMELY well, and that's really what counts. On that note, the guys have to consider last night's game a "hiccup," and move on. Worrying too much about the loss last night and a division pennant right now would be a certain distraction that we really don't need. If the team plays hard in their last three, that's all they can do. These last three games are very important when you look at playoff positioning, and I'm sure the guys will do a good job to keep focused. Saskatoon is not an easy task, and MJ is always tough.

On the game in Kootenay:

-the game winner was shorthanded. That's never nice, and it almost never fails to bite you in the end. The Broncos' had three PPs and didn't really manage to get anything going on all three. You could blame the result of this game on special teams, because Kootenay scored a PP goal, and a shorthanded goal.

-Mark Guggenberger made a little mistake Kootenay's first tally. He played the puck and shot it right at King, who fired it right back and into the net. It's great that Guggs is active playing the puck, but that play was ugly. I guess it happens...... On the other hand, he made some FANTASTIC saves to give the Broncos a chance to win the game. So he redeemed himself.

-Swift Current was VERY opportunistic, especially in the first period. Pretty passes, quick dekes, and some great scoring chances as a result, but the Broncos failed to bear down. On the other side, Kootenay did bear down on one opportunity in that first frame. Sometimes, that's all it takes.

-the Broncos dominated in the third period, and Codey Eakin proved deadly on his 2 on 1 chance, cutting Kootenay's lead to two goals. But Kris Lazaruk found a way to hold the fort for the rest of the period, and the post saved him in the final two minutes...Jesse Dudas had the iron ringing.

Again..big final week coming up with games versus Saskatoon and MJ. The Broncos will have to be at their best.

Just NOTES:

-the fans in Cranbrook are amazing...they are all sooo friendly. I really appreciate that when visiting an opposing rink.....and would like to say thankyou to them, and the fans in Saskatoon, who I found are very similar. It's a good way to be.

-the drive to Cranbrook was GORGEOUS!! I took a LOT of pictures...I will post them all on FACEBOOK. If you're a friend you can check it out. The mountains look so amazing....especially when the sun shines off the peaks. I found that I got a little bit clausterphobic while in Cranbrook. Looking around all you can see is mountain peaks. I guess I'm used to the prairies. :)

-the RecPlex in Cranny is a wonderful facility. The rink is ideal, and what I really liked was the restaurant and lounge overlooking the ice surface. It's open 'till 12 AM game nights. Beautiful.

-the 700 KM drive home seemed to go by pretty quickly. One woud think the Broncos' loss would make it an unhappy and long drive, but it certainly did not. I'm happy with how the guys have played lately, and this loss really didn't play a factor. Secondly, the scenery alone is worth the drive to Cranbrook and back. Anyway...I got home just after 6 AM. It was a good drive.

-Alberta switched to our time this morning.....at precisely 2 AM, the time turned to 3 AM. I was just passing through Bow Island when it was announced on the radio to turn the clocks ahead. Interesting.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

604flames
03-10-2008, 10:27 AM
This is what I love about the Dub, especially the smaller towns. None of the rivalry bs that goes on in the pros between fans, everyone's just out for a good time.

Glad you enjoyed your time in the Kootenays!

Bocephus
03-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Nice Photo Album. After reading your story of your trip home theatrics from P.A. and your pic of the mountains taken while driving to Cranbrook I can come to only one conclusion. Friends don't let friends drive and take snapshots. cheers

Big Ern
03-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Nice Photo Album. After reading your story of your trip home theatrics from P.A. and your pic of the mountains taken while driving to Cranbrook I can come to only one conclusion. Friends don't let friends drive and take snapshots. cheers

haha Funny.