PDA

View Full Version : The ranking of Whl teams

maple leaf
03-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Couple Quick questions

Who does the ranking of the teams, do they rank by most points each team have like they have done all year, if so why would Saskatoon be ranked below both Chilliwack and Kamloops. There is no thought in these ranking's what so ever. This is a mute point but Saskatoon would be in the playoffs in the B.C. division.

dondo
03-10-2008, 01:49 PM
yes it is a moot point -- or did you really mean to write mute.

first of all -- the Western and Eastern Conferences are their own little worlds .. in the West the divisions are BC and US .. each team leading its division is ranked one, two regardless of points the lower teams in other divisions have even though they might have more points than the team leading the other division.

In the East the divisions are the Central and East

With regard to playoff rankings this season, with the addition of the Edmonton Oil Kings the first round is not solely divisional (as it was in the past) , but rather ranked 1-8 in each Conference. The West and East do not face each other until the WHL finals, where the champion of the West and the champion of the east battle each other for the right to represent the WHL at the Memorial Cup.

as far as I know during the regular season teams with the same number of points are ranked first by their division standing, second by their games in hand, and third by their wins total.

In answer to your specific question Saskatoon's in the East and both Kamloops and Chlliwack are in the West .. therefore their rankings do not impact one another, until the final -- capiche?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-10-2008, 02:47 PM
I think you are refering to the WHL writers poll. It is simply the opinion of whatever writers return there ballots. Usually about 15 out of 22 get returned. Maybe more Western writers reply and they favor thier conference/division. It really means nothing at all as they do usually go on points and they shouldn't. Eastern conference a lot tuffer than the West this year. Calgary and maybe even Lethbridge should be ranked higher than Vancouver. Winning % of the other BC teams = .439 while the other Central teams = .530.
Van gets to play these weak teams over and over while Calg/Leth have to play really good teams over and over. I'd like to see the Giants record if they had to play Calg/Koot/Leth/Hat 40 times this year.
You are 7-2-1 in your last 10 games and have more points than they do. Chill is 1-7-1-1 and Kam 1-9-0 in their last 10. You are clearly a much better team than those 2.
Like I said. I find the WHL writers poll to be the least accurate poll of any polls about anything.

rinkrat
03-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I'd like to see the Giants record if they had to play Calg/Koot/Leth/Hat 40 times this year.

November 23, Giants 3 Hurricanes 0
January 30, Giants 3 Hurricanes 1
:thumb: