PDA

View Full Version : Pats one victory away from pennant

nivek_wahs
03-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Pats one victory away from pennant (http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=d99eb60d-29fe-4223-a12a-64a274c40e61)

Pats one victory away from pennant

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, March 10, 2008

Win and you're in. It's that simple for the Regina Pats, who can clinch their first East Division pennant in 10 years with a victory on Wednesday night over the host Moose Jaw Warriors.

Regina earned the opportunity by running the table on a five-game homestand which concluded on Saturday night with a businesslike 4-2 win over the Prince Albert Raiders in front of 5,326 WHL patrons at the Brandt Centre.

"After every game, everybody says, 'One game closer to the pennant,' " offered Pats left-winger Michael MacAngus, who led the charge with a goal and two assists. "We want to get first place. It hasn't happened here for quite some time. It's real important to everybody."

The Pats have been clinging to top spot in the East Division for almost the entire season, but their grip has loosened on a few occasions. They nearly lost it altogether by dropping four of six games on a mid-February road trip before regrouping with five straight wins at the Brandt Centre.

As a result, Regina needs just one victory in its final three regular-season games to wrap up first place -- and home-ice advantage in the opening round of the playoffs.

"Ever since the start of the season, one of our goals was to bring a banner to the roof," said Pats sniper Jordan Eberle, who potted the game's first two goals on Saturday night.

"Now that we can kind of see the light at the end of the tunnel, it brings motivation and excitement to the whole team. You can't always be perfect, but we just want to come out every game and play our best. The last five games, five wins, that's pretty close to perfect."

The Pats weren't flawless on Saturday night, but they were methodical in achieving their objective. Regina set the tone against the pesky Raiders, who didn't go down without a fight although they bowed out of the playoff race several weeks ago.

"Regina is obviously a team on a little bit of a mission," noted Prince Albert head coach/GM Bruno Campese. "They want to clinch first place and they came out in the first (part) of that game and they were very determined. I was proud of the way we hung in there. Even though we're not playing for playoff positioning, guys are still having a lot of pride in what they're doing. If we would have buried some of our chances early on ... it could have been a little bit different story."

Pats No. 1 centre Tim Kraus was forced to sit out due to illness, but linemates Eberle and MacAngus picked up the slack with a dominant performance that wasn't completely reflected on the scoresheet. If not for Raiders goalie Dustin Butler, the deficit could have been much worse.

"I thought they worked their tails off," said Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "Those guys have to be our best players and certainly they were tonight."

Eberle and MacAngus did all their damage in the first period, pacing Regina to a 3-1 lead. Kirt Hill added the only goal of the second frame on a setup from J.D. Watt, who finished with two assists. Matt Robertson notched a first-period goal for the Raiders and ex-Pat Justin Bernhardt rounded out the scoring in the final frame.

Pats goalie Linden Rowat was rock-solid for the third straight game, making 31 saves. Butler stopped 25.

"We should be a confident group heading into Moose Jaw," added Hunt, whose team improved to 42-21-4-2. "It's exciting to come to the rink. It's exciting to follow the other teams and see where you're at. The greatest thing about it is we've maintained that position in the driver's seat. We're in control of our own fate. Let's take advantage of that."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

Fight Guy
03-10-2008, 01:17 PM
It's good to know we are that close now. Don't want to beat a dead horse, but we could have had it (plus the conference) if we had shown up better for some of those games we really should have won going by the talent on the team. But regardless, the Pats are in the position they had planned to be before the season started. Their main goal was a division pennant, and now are only one win away from it! :clap:

As for the conference...if all the cards play out the right way, the Pats COULD even still take the conference. I sure as hell haven't gotten my hopes up at all though, but fact that it is still "possible" is fun. :p

The way it would work is Calgary would have to either lose both their games in regulation, or one of the two in OT/SO, and the Pats win their last three games, then the Pats would have the slight edge over the Hitmen having the better head to head record. But if Calgary loses both in regulation, then with three Pats wins...or I guess even two wins and an OT/SO loss, they could have it!

But then of coarse you have to figure in all the games between Lethbridge, Kootenay, and Medicine Hat, which I also came to the conclusion, with the right wins and losses for those teams against each other, the conference is still obtainable.

But like I said...I'm not getting my hopes up at all as I'm pretty sure things won't work out that way, but again...it's fun to think about it...lol.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition...

Calgary would have to lose both in regulation or one reg. and one OT to Kootenay...

Kootenay has to win those games against Calgary, but lose to Lethbridge...

Lethbridge would have to beat Kootenay, lose to Edmonton, and lose one or both their games against MH.

Medicine Hat would have to lose to Red Deer, and either win both or one against Lethbridge.

If that were all to pan out, if there were any ties at the top spot, the Pats (assuming they win those three games to make this all possible), the Pats would finish with 96pts. And because they have winning records against all four of those teams, they would then take number one spot in the Eastern Conference!!! yeehoo

And yeah....I'm bored :skeptical

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Now that the WHL has finally released the tie breaker rules, you guys only need 2 more points to clinch top seed in the East Division, even if M.J. Swift or Brandon win out. Either one win or 2 O/T losses for the Pats and your in 2nd. Moose Jaw could only tie you in points and you get second as you would have "more wins".