PDA

View Full Version : MacAngus OK with supporting role

nivek_wahs
03-12-2008, 09:30 AM
MacAngus OK with supporting role (http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=6d180d2e-368f-47cb-aab6-f8af75c9fd12)

MacAngus OK with supporting role

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Michael MacAngus is the janitor on the Regina Pats' No. 1 line.

He handles the dirty work.

While most of the accolades are distributed to Jordan Eberle for scoring the big goals and Tim Kraus for dishing out the flashy assists, MacAngus gets the majority of the bruises for his work in the corners and in front of the net.

It's a thankless job, but somebody has to do it.

"It doesn't matter to me," claimed the soft-spoken veteran. "I just try to play my game every night and work hard. Eberle has 42 goals. He deserves all the credit he has been getting because he's an amazing player. Kraus has been to two Memorial Cups so he deserves praise as well. He's a hard worker and a great finesse passer."

Standing in the shadows is MacAngus, who's having a typically solid campaign with 18 goals and 33 assists for 51 points (tying his career high). The durable left winger is also the only player on the team who has dressed for all 69 games this season.

True to form, he has done it all in relatively quiet and unassuming fashion.

"He's kind of the unsung hero of that line," said Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "He has a great commitment and he thinks the game out so well. He does all the little things and he does them all consistently. That's a trustworthy player. That's why he gets the ice he does and plays the situations he does."

MacAngus may not draw the same notoriety as Eberle and Kraus, but his role is no less vital to the team's success.

"He just works so hard," noted Eberle. "He's not a flashy guy but he's kind of that Ryan Smyth-type player where he finishes every check and works his (butt) off. He has some good offensive touch to him, too. That's pretty much the complete player."

MacAngus's subtle traits have helped foster a unique chemistry between him and Eberle. They clicked almost immediately when they were paired together midway through last season after MacAngus was acquired from the Saskatoon Blades.

Hunt has been hesitant to split them up ever since.

Kraus was thrown into the mix early this season, adding a creative influence and veteran savvy up the middle while contributing a team-high 46 assists. MacAngus is under-rated for his smarts and playmaking ability as well, with a particular knack for finding Eberle in the slot.

"When you play with somebody for quite a while, you learn his tendencies," explained MacAngus. "You get the puck in the corner and you just know where he's going to be. Sometimes you don't even have to look, you can just throw it to that area and he's going to pick it up. He has a great shot and he gets into the (scoring) areas. I just have to work hard, get in the corners, get some hits, separate guys and get the puck to him."

In a sense, they're the ideal odd couple.

"We're definitely different players," added Eberle. "But our style of play matches up perfectly with one another. All my goals and even Timmy's goals are a credit to him."

Kraus missed the Pats' last game -- a 4-2 win over the Prince Albert Raiders -- due to illness, but the No. 1 line didn't miss a beat as Eberle and MacAngus combined for three goals and two assists. MacAngus set up the game's first two goals -- by Eberle -- then added a goal of his own for the eventual game-winner.

MacAngus was also in the middle of a couple scrums for coming to the defence of a teammate. All in all, it was a rather loud performance by one of Regina's quietest players.

"For the most part I'm pretty calm," he added. "If I get (distracted) I start not making the plays I should. I try to keep on my game but at the same time if I see somebody take a shot at my guy I'm not afraid to go in there and step up for my own player."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008