PDA

View Full Version : OHL: Knights win marred by Storm slash

Beaner
03-29-2005, 10:32 AM
from www.tsn.ca

CP files

3/29/2005

The London Knights will be looking for a sweep on Tuesday after a 5-1 win over the Guelph Storm on Monday.

The Knights took a 3-0 lead in their best-of-seven OHL Western Conference quarter-final with Game 4 in Guelph on Tuesday.

The Knights scored all five goals on power plays as Corey Perry tallied his first two of the series, while adding two assists for seven points in the three games.

It could be the last days of the 2005 campaign for the Storm, who last year spoiled the Knights' party by beating them in the conference final after London finished first overall.

The Knights are already in this year's Memorial Cup as the host team for the May 21-29 tournament.

The game was marred by a slashing incident involving Perry and Guelph defenceman Ryan Pottruff. Pottruff delivered a two-handed whack on Perry as he broke in on net with six minutes left in the game. Perry saw the stick coming and shielded himself, taking the brunt of the blow on his right leg.

Linesman Kevin Hastings reported to referee Carman Cox, who in turn explained to Knights coach Dale Hunter that Hastings heard Storm coach Dave Barr say on the bench: "someone go out there and break someone's wrist."

Pottruff got a slashing major and automatic game misconduct and Barr was ejected. Both face disciplinary action.

Meanwhile, Mike Richards scored the game-winning goal 24 seconds into overtime in the Rangers' 4-3 playoff win over the Erie Otters on Monday.

Kitchener trails two games to one going into Tuesday night's Game 4 in Erie. Game 5 is Friday night in Kitchener.

Yikes, now that is just scary coaching and has no place in this game. I sure as heck hope the OHL throws the book at this coach.

Kristi
03-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Holy cow! That is just CRAZY! I hope they throw the book at him too!

What do you think should happen to the player?

grumphy
03-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Because they caught the coach cold, in instructing the team to go out and maim someone, I don't think they will come down real hard on the player----but God help the coach

Beaner
03-29-2005, 12:43 PM
Because they caught the coach cold, in instructing the team to go out and maim someone, I don't think they will come down real hard on the player----but God help the coach

The player should know better than to follow instructions like that. I would expect him to get a fairly big suspension. Personally, I think the player should get a suspension for the playoffs, plus some games for the regular season next year, since his teams playoffs will be quite short. Maybe a 10 game suspension for next year.

As to the coach, they should give him directions to the unemployment office.

The OHL needs to send a message to players and coaches that this kind of thing will not be tolerated, period.

grumphy
03-29-2005, 12:49 PM
I think the player should get a suspension for the playoffs, plus some games for the regular season next year, since his teams playoffs will be quite short. Maybe a 10 game suspension for next year.

As to the coach, they should give him directions to the unemployment office.

The OHL needs to send a message to players and coaches that this kind of thing will not be tolerated, period.
I agree totally, but if the OHL officials operate like the DUB officials, who knows------maybe a $1000 bucks and one game :( Lets hope they have some balls and come down at least as hard as you have suggested.

Beaner
03-29-2005, 01:00 PM
from, http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/news/?id=1212

OHL Announces Disciplinary Action
Created: Mar 29, 2005

The Ontario Hockey League announced today that Head Coach Dave Barr and player Ryan Pottruff both of the Guelph Storm Hockey Club have been suspended indefinitely as the result of incidents which occurred during a playoff game in London on the 28th of March, 2005 involving the home town Knights and visiting Guelph Storm Hockey Club.
Player Ryan Pottruff was assessed a major penalty for slashing and a game misconduct and Coach Barr was ejected from the game as the result of his verbal comments.

In making the announcement, OHL Commissioner David Branch stated…

"The League in a preliminary review of the reports filed as the result of the playoff game played in London last night involving the London Knights and the Guelph Storm Hockey Club are of the opinion that both Head Coach Dave Barr and player Ryan Pottruff of the Guelph Storm Hockey Club be suspended indefinitely pending a formal hearing to address the most concerning incidents which occurred in last night’s playoff game.

"Arrangements are being made for a formal hearing to be conducted by the League in the very near future."

The indefinite suspensions will take effect immediately and neither Barr nor Pottruff will participate in today’s playoff game in Guelph.

They moved pretty quick.

Jovorock
03-29-2005, 01:03 PM
This will get big news all over North America, Barr will get the book thrown at him BIGTIME!

Beaner
04-08-2005, 07:27 PM
from, www.tsn.ca

OHL suspends Guelph coach 15 games

Canadian Press

4/8/2005

TORONTO (CP) - The Ontario Hockey League has suspended Guelph Storm coach Dave Barr for 15 games, Storm defenceman Ryan Pottruff for 12 games and fined the team $5,000 over a slashing incident in a March 28 playoff game against the London Knights.

Barr and Pottruff were suspended indefinitely by the league the day after the game pending an investigation into an allegation Barr was heard on the bench telling a player to ''go out there and break someone's wrist.''

Pottruff received a slashing major after he delivered a two-handed whack on Knights star Corey Perry as he broke in on net with six minutes left. Perry saw the stick coming and shielded himself, taking the brunt of the blow on his right leg. The Knights won that game and the next, to sweep the Storm 4-0.

''Based on the review the league is of the opinion that coach Dave Barr did not provide any directive to any of his players to take the type of action displayed by player Ryan Pottruff,'' OHL commissioner David Branch said in a statement released late Friday afternoon.

''However, that being said, the league has always maintained that a coach in the OHL is in a position of authority, particularly in relation to his players and must always conduct himself accordingly.

''Additionally, player Ryan Pottruff used his stick in a most alarming and unacceptable fashion and fortunately no player was injured on the play.''

Having said that, the league did not explain what Barr had done to warrant the suspension and did not immediately return a message Friday.

At the time, Barr said he was ejected ''for saying something stupid'' on the bench and denied sending anyone after Perry.

Not quite the book, still less than I thought he would get.