PDA

View Full Version : 08-09 Early East Division Outlook

WHL Crazy
03-13-2008, 10:10 AM
A quick view from off the top of my head as to how the standings will go:

1. Brandon Wheatkings-I think the Wheaties win the division next year quite easily. They will return virtually every forward from a potent offence except for Dittmer and Bartek. The young gun line will remain in tact for another season and should dominate. They also will have secondary scoring from Andrew Clark, Nate Green, Jay Fehr and Matt Lowry.
The defence will lose a couple key cogs in Yeo and Boyle but do return a couple good prospects with Colby Robak and Keith Aulie.
The Goaltending will remain in tact for another season as well and should be dependable.
KINGPIN: Brayden Schenn-Should score 40 and put up 90 pts.

2. Saskatoon Blades- One of the hottest teams in the WHL since the trade deadline will be another year older and ready to take the next step. The team will lose a couple mid leval 20 yr olds in Fiala and Durand but will use a fairly high import selection to replace Fiala's 50 pts adequetely. The team will boast a solid offensive unit with depth but no huge scorers. Led by Gillies, Hulak and the kid line of Hamilton, Toomey, Langkow as well as many other young talented players the goals will be there. The defense and goaltending will be very strong led by Braden Holtby once again in goal and on defense Niemi, Elliott, Zahn, Klassen, Funk, Berg give the Blades 6 returnees on defense and and another year from Holtby. Solid team.
KINGPIN: Colton Gillies-Will lead the team to a top 4 finish in the conference.

3. Prince Albert- The Raiders have had a couple years of rebuilding behind them heading into next and should return a dangerous trio of 20 yr olds with Bernhardt, Robertson and McDonald who are all very capable of 30+ goals next season. Trach, Lamb, Cameron and Herrod should supply ample secondary scoring. The defense will return everybody with the exception of 20 yr old Ryan White. However the defense is a bit unproven and lacks true elite star power. In goal the reins get handed over to Curtis Stanford who will be a starter for the first time ever. The Raiders will be solid but have a few more question marks than the top 2 teams do.
KINGPIN: Matt(the Rat) Robertson-Should score 40 and be a top 15 scorer in the WHL.

4. Regina-Another team loaded with 19 year olds this year with 7 of them. However Regina is likely to have a good trio of 20's with Bartley, Depape and Hill or Macangus. Jordan Eberle will return for another year and should put up 50. Brett Leffler could be more of a factor playing on the teams second line behind the Macangus/Eberle line. The Pats will return Rowat for a 4th season and will be led on defense by blue chip prospect Colton Teubert and will get help from Jackson/Kulchar/Delahay and likely Bartley. Next year will be a bit of a rebuilding season but still should see a .500 or better record.
KINGPIN: Jordan Eberle-Sky is the limit and coule be the leagues top goal scorer.

5. Swift Current- The Broncos stand to lose 8 players from a very deep veteran squad this season. The forward unit will look to its youngsters to step up and deliver in key roles and the pressure will lay on Wudrick, Tassone Eakin and Dowling. Young guns Christian Magnus, Brad Hoban along with Eakin form the future but it will be a year of transition for the Broncos offence suffering key losses to players gratuating or turning pro. Doyle, Claffey, Molle and Dudas(likely to return) give the Broncos a dependable defense. Can Mark Guggenberger take control in goal as a first time #1 starter?
KINGPIN: Eric Doyle-Will lead a young team with a stead 2 way game from defense.

6. Moose Jaw- The Warriors are set to lose some of its key cogs next season with Wishart/Ellerby turning pro as well as forward Holzapfel and Knackstedt. This makes the Warriors 20 yr olds set with Grantham, Fuller and defenseman Brett Ward. Gone will be Frazer McLaren, Terrance Delaronde and 5 year veteran goalie Joey Perricone! What does that leave for next year? Well they will look to stand out 18 year old Jason Bast, Joel Broda and Tomas Karpov for scoming. After that, the cupboard is bare! The defense will be led by Hamonic, Suer, Stanton and Ariss. Goaltending chores handed over to Todd Matthews who is unproven at this point.
KINGPIN: Jason Bast- Elite scorer in the making ready to be a top 10-15 league scorer?

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks. Good post. Can you do one for the Central?

WHL Crazy
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM
I will leave that to someone who views the Alberta teams a bit more than I do. I could do one but I probably wouldn't give it much justice.

Have a good day.

Fight Guy
03-13-2008, 01:27 PM
I don't see DePape sticking around over Doucet. And I think, going by his play, theres a chance that Bartley may find himself a Pro tryout, as he is great all around player. If Bartley sticks around, it will likely be him, MacAngus, and either Hill or Doucet. Unless DePape shows up, ready for training camp, I doubt he will stick around. And of coarse I'm not expecting Pyett to be around next year as he will likely be with the Griffins or maybe even with the Wings.

And it seems you haven't taken into account prospects coming up next year. The Pats will most likely see Weal playing next season, and he will be top two lines if he performs as he is projected to. Lately in the paper they have been dubbing him "Eberle with speed". And Hood and Favreau will also likely crack the Pats line up, and together, they can be potent.

And it's a given that in the off season, the Pats will be making some trades, so who knows how that will go.

Regardless, the Pats are still looking good next season!

Tidball
03-13-2008, 04:26 PM
The Blades are loaded with young guns. Inglis is playing a 3rd line role already as a 15.

Crooks, Gallimore, Inglis, Krahn, the list goes on and on with young guys trying to make the team. Gallimore, Crooks, Inglis, should be locks.

Scout
03-13-2008, 04:41 PM
I think and agree the top two teams will be Brandon and Saskatoon. Alot can change between now and next year via trades or players sticking a level up. Saskatoon will be good but will be even better if Gillies returns. He is very well thought of by Minnesota and there is a very good chance of him not returning. If he does get sent back, look out as i figure he could dominate, if he sticks, that will hurt the Blades.

Scout

peatfan
03-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Good post by WHL Crazy. I agree that the top 2 teams will be Brandon & Saskatoon next year. Wheaties could be in that role for the next couple of seasons as they have a great bunch of 16 & 17 on their team. I think Eberle will lead Regina to #3 spot. As for the other 3 it will e a battle to stay ahead of the #5 team in the Central. But that's a long time away, trades, Euro draft, unexpected player sticks in NHL (ie Gillies). I dout if we will have the finish we have this year in both East & Central.

clrkth Boogaard'd pbj clrkth Boogaard'd vci11 clrkth Boogaard'd vc124