PDA

View Full Version : To rest or not to rest

nivek_wahs
03-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Greg Harder's Slap Shots: To rest or not to rest (http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/default.aspx)

To rest or not to rest

Regina Pats head coach Curtis Hunt plans to dress his best-possible lineup for Friday’s game against the Brandon Wheat Kings (excluding Tim Kraus, who has tonsillitis). As for Saturday’s regular-season finale in Brandon, Hunt is keeping his options open.
That’s a smart move.
Regina sits three points behind the Calgary Hitmen for first place in the Eastern Conference. The team that finishes on top will have home-ice advantage for at least the first three rounds of the playoffs.
As long as there’s a chance — even a slim one — that the Pats can grab top spot, they have to go for it. Given the unprecedented parity in the conference this season (seven teams with 40-plus wins), home-ice advantage could be the only thing standing between Regina and a first-round upset.
That said, if Saturday’s regular-season finale in Brandon ends up being a meaningless game, Hunt shouldn’t take any chances with players like leading scorer Jordan Eberle and captain Logan Pyett. Don’t even take them on the trip, just in case they pull a hamstring climbing on the bus or something.
As well, the duties of No. 1 goalie Linden Rowat should be limited to opening the gate on the end of Regina’s bench (just make sure he wears a helmet, in case of an errant puck). Backup Jeff Bosch, who hasn’t started a game since Feb. 15, could use some icetime in the event that he's pressed into duty during the playoffs.
Sure, the suggestion of sitting your top players is contrary to the unwritten code which states you should show respect for an opponent that still has something on the line. Forget that.
The Pats need to look out for their own best interests. Besides, what if Pyett, Eberle or Rowat was injured in a meaningless game? What if that injury ended up costing Regina in the playoffs?
Considering how much the Pats have invested in this season, now is not the time to gamble.

dagley
03-15-2008, 12:12 AM
I wont be shocked if we rest some of our regulars tomorrow night. We won't finish in 8th, as Moose Jaw has it locked up. I cant see Calgary losing both games to Kootenay either, so top spot is theirs. I think we are looking at a Regina/Brandon first round matchup.

patsdude114
03-15-2008, 03:14 AM
Yes and if tonights game was any indication on what type of a series is could be look out... was a great game tonight in Regina back and forth scoring chances on both sides, great goaltending (1st game i have seen Caligiuri play well) hard hitting and some fire burning inside on both teams with each other (although no fights)

I think all the series in the Eastern Conference will be going 6 or 7 games i really dont see no quick exit's by any team, the whole conference is so close. I dont think there will be a so called upset in any series as on any given night 1 thru 8 can beat anyone, all the teams are just that good. Personally I dont think NO TEAM would be able to hang their heads if getting knocked out in the 1st round, I would select any 1 of these 8 teams to repersent the Eastern Conference in the league final.

dagley
03-15-2008, 01:34 PM
I'd really be shocked if the Eastern Conference didn't produce the league champions this year, even though Spokane/Tri-City/Vancouver are all good. The Eastern Conference hasn't been this good for a long time.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-15-2008, 01:55 PM
The three top West teams are good, yes, but look at the competition they play against most of the time. They got Portland, PG, Kamloops, and Chilliwack. The bottom four teams in that conference are not as good as any of the 8 teams in this conference.

In other words, I think their point totals are quite bloated, and alot of teams in this conference could give these teams a good run for their money.