PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 4 @ Moose Jaw 3 Final

Big Ern
03-15-2008, 12:28 AM
That was a great game "under the Friday night lights at the Moose Jaw Civic Centre"....as Warriors' play-by-play guy James Gallo would describe it.

-The Broncos were out-hit and a bit flat when they came out of the gates...Travis Yonkman was so solid tonight...he stopped an opening flurry by Moose Jaw and kept the score 0-0. Also, he was great throughout the game, making the important saves....awesome effort by Yonks.

-Swift Current quickly sped up after the Warriors scored the game's first goal on the PP. The upped their pace immediately, and the Warriors clearly could not catch up. Dale Weise picked his spot and ripped a howitzer from the point to tie the game at one, which is how it would go to the second frame.

-the second period was more of the same......the Broncos came out strong and took the lead on a pretty goal by Matt Tassone, and the Warrios managed to tie the game on a weak play on the boards by Swift Current. Then the Broncos showed why they are so dangerous shorthanded, when Zack Smith scored a shorthanded goal to re-take the lead in the second period. It was a pretty one....even though the Warriors literally gave him the goal.

-in the third, the Warriors seemed a bit more determined...they tied the game on a similar play to the second goal. Off the face-off, the Broncos just could not take control of the puck and McLaren shot it in from the point. However, Swifty remained determined and kept on pushing. As a result, Dale Weise made a pretty pass to the net and Spencer McAvoy tipped it home for the eventual game winning goal.

-That was all it took for the 4-3 win. The Warriors are a tough team and hit hard at times, but were maybe caught not giving it their best effort. That, combined with the Broncos' speed and skill cost them the game.

-our forwards were GREAT tonight. Dale Weise was simply dominant....there is no better word to describe it. He earned second star honours with one goal and one assist, and really was a freight train out there again.....he's a treat to watch, and man, it's great to have him back! Zack Smith is CLUTCH. Again, for lack of better terms. He was VERY good tonight...he outskated guys repeatedly among other things, and earned the first star with one goal and two assists. Really, you couldn't write enough about the forwards tonight...everyone was on board.

-kudos to the defense tonight as well. A few of the guys on D had a dominant outing, starting with a fantastic effort from Bretton Stamler.

-the things that "glared" at me in this game were a few too many penalties by the Broncos, and the control off the faceoffs. Twice, the Warriors scored right off the faceoff in Swift Current's zone. After the draws, for some reason, our guys looked scrambly. I hope and am confident that will correct itslef..you really don't want it in playoffs. And as for penalties, every team takes them. They just have to be useful to be acceptable. I thought tonight, two of the calls were no good calls to take at that particular juncture in the game.

-otherwise, the Broncos played one hell of a game and from Travis Yonkman out, really never let up. The two points must feel good.

Notes:

-who knows what will happen with playoff positioning? This race is incredible! I guess the only thing to do is wait until all the Sunday games are over. Then, finally, we will know.....

-tomorrow is a BIG day at the i-Plex. Grand openings are always big. Make sure you attend to check it out tomorrow afternoon.

Have a good night.

Ern

Scout
03-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Broncos start weekend with victory
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos playoff picture came a little bit more in focus following a 4-3 win over the host Moose Jaw Warriors.
The Broncos moved into sole possession of sixth place with the win, but more importantly Swift Current will not finish the season in eighth place and have to play the regular season champion in the Eastern Conference.
The Broncos now boast a 41-23-1-6 record, good for 89 points, and they are assured of either a seventh or eighth place regular season finish. The Brandon Wheat Kings, following a 3-2 shootout loss to Regina, are seventh in the conference with a 41-24-3-3 record and 88 points. Moose Jaw has 86 points with a 36-21-6-8 record. The Broncos and Moose Jaw round out a weekend home-and-home series at the iplex on Saturday, with Brandon ending the season at home against the visiting Regina Pats.
The key goal in the contest was Zack Smith's shorthanded goal with 55 seconds left in the middle period. Smith's second shorthanded goal of the month was his 22nd goal of the campaign.
Spencer McAvoy scored the winning goal for the Broncos on Friday night when he connected for his third goal of the season to give the Broncos a 4-2 lead.
Swift Current also had goals from Matt Tassone and Dale Weise with his team leading 29th of the year.
Moose Jaw replied with goals from Jordan Knackstedt, Travis Hamonic and Frazer McLaren.
Broncos netminder Travis Yonkman earned his 31st win of the season by turning aside 28 of 31 shots. Warriors goaltender Todd Mathews gave up four goals on 30 shots in the loss.
The Broncos host the Warriors in the regular season ending game for both teams at the iplex on Saturday night.

mjwfan
03-15-2008, 09:26 AM
That's pretty much the way it was . Hope we can meet in the playoffs nice short trip to swifty . but we will have are hands full when we meet Calgary .
We need a HOT goalie and as of late Joey has not come up big.
Ern I must say - You do a great job on the play-by-play .. you need to be up stairs . Was great seeing you again .

Speedy Broncs
03-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Hey Big Ern did I hear right on the radio that someone from Swift won the 50/50? Was it you and if so are you buying some Molson products at tonight's game?

CHtoo
03-15-2008, 11:06 AM
The draw doesn't take place until tonight at the I-Plex.
clrkth

Toswammi
03-15-2008, 12:25 PM
The draw doesn't take place until tonight at the I-Plex.
clrkth

I believe you are reffering to the Goals for Education draw, where as the previous poster was reffering to MJ's 50/50 draw

Big Ern
03-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Hey Big Ern did I hear right on the radio that someone from Swift won the 50/50? Was it you and if so are you buying some Molson products at tonight's game?

Yes...I believe it was a shared ticket bought by two Swift Current fans. It was worth $1600...if I'm correct.

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
03-15-2008, 12:50 PM
You heard right. The 50-50 was won by yours truly and a buddy of mine. Makes the trip to the Jaw so much sweeter. pbj

Big Ern
03-15-2008, 12:57 PM
You heard right. The 50-50 was won by yours truly and a buddy of mine. Makes the trip to the Jaw so much sweeter. pbj

WOW...I'll know who to call for beer tonight!! haha

;)

Congrats QPWC!!!

mjwfan
03-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Congrats in winning the 50 / 50 . The last game the 50 / 50 was 2,200 nothing wrong with 1600 .
Maybe the swift 50 / 50 tonight can be won by someone in MJ ..lol.

Toswammi
03-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Congrats in winning the 50 / 50 . The last game the 50 / 50 was 2,200 nothing wrong with 1600 .
Maybe the swift 50 / 50 tonight can be won by someone in MJ ..lol.

I hear there is going to be a few MJ fans here, so i could happen

patsdude114
03-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Congrats Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese for ur 50/50 win in MJ 1600 is a very nice win even if you are splitting.

Alittle side note last night at the Pats game the 50/50 winner took home 2800 (yes i know we get more people at games) is still a nice win for a junior hockey 50/50 draw. I wonder how big the Giants and Hitmen 50/50 draws get too......would love someone from those places to let us know

CHtoo
03-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Boogaard'd :laugh:
Oh well all I saw were dollar signs.
Looks like Swift came away with everything last night.
Now to complete the sweep and win tonight's game and the "Goals for Education".