PDA

View Full Version : Tiebreaker question

Tiger Trauma
03-15-2008, 01:36 AM
Just curious if the following scenario happens. I think i know the answer, but not 100% sure. Again I'm not saying this will happen but wondering what would happen if it did.

Say this is the end result at the end of the season in the Eastern Conference.

Calgary gets 96 points
while there is a 3-way tie for 3rd with 95 points with
lethbridge,Medicine Hat, Kootenay

Requires: Tigers to win in overtime over lethbridge.lethbridge beats edmonton in regulation or Overtime/SO.
Kootenay gets 3 points out of 4 over calgary.

Lethbridge would have 44 wins
Medicine Hat would have 44 wins
Kootenay would have 43 wins

Would Leth, and Med Hat face off in the next tiebreaker procedure in Bracket A? WHich is head 2 head record?

canes77
03-15-2008, 02:40 AM
I took this off the WHL site...Hopefully you can make sense of it. I know scenario A is used to break the tie between 2 teams, and B to break a 3 way tie. I just reversed it here since you asked about 3 teams, and then the note refers us back to A.

If I read it right, it will go down to GF-GA and Leth has the edge currently. Which would be lucky because two of these 3 teams have to face each other!

B). In the event three (3) or more Clubs finish tied in total points in WHL standings, the edge goes to the Club with the most victories. Should the Clubs have won the same number of games, then the higher position shall be awarded to the Club having the greatest ratio when taking goals for and subtracting goals against in regular schedule play. If the Clubs are still tied, the total records of the Clubs against each other will be used with the Club with most points having the edge. If it is still even, the Club with the most victories among the Clubs will have the edge. If the Clubs are still tied, the Club with the highest ratio when taking goals for and subtracting goals against in regular season play among the Clubs will advance.

NOTE: When only two Clubs remain tied, A) above will be used to break the tie.

A). In the event two Clubs finish tied in total points in WHL standings, the edge goes to the Club with the most victories. If that is a tie, it will go to the Club with the most points in games between the two Clubs during the regular schedule. If the two Clubs are still even, the edge goes to the Club with the highest ratio when taking goals for and subtracting goals against in regular season play. If it is still a tie, the edge will go to the Club with the highest ratio when taking goals for and subtracting goals against in games played between the two Clubs in regular schedule play.

Tiger Trauma
03-15-2008, 03:30 AM
yeah i read the whl page too.

Was just curious if the "note* part of it would take into effect if only 2 teams were tied on the one tiebreaker, instead of all 3 teams.

or if they just kept going down the list in partB between the two tied teams that tied on the first tiebreaker in part B.

I believe what you said was right, but was just wondering if the other way held any ground.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I have wasted more time this week figuring out this tie breaking procedure(see all my other post on this sight for proof) and I am gonna go out on the limb, but am 99.99% certain I am right. Tiger Tauma has it correct.
1. Three teams are tied so use "B". Teams with most victories move on and Ice are eliminated and only 2 teams remain tied.
2. The rules state "when only 2 teams remain tied revert back to A".
3. "A" first tie breaker step is most wins and Canes and Tigers are still tied so nothing changes. "A" then states most points between the 2 remaining teams in head to head matchup. Tigers friggen smoke the Canes there so le tigre get highest seed!

Beaner
03-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Just curious if the following scenario happens. I think i know the answer, but not 100% sure. Again I'm not saying this will happen but wondering what would happen if it did.

Calgary gets 96 points

Requires: Tigers to win in overtime over lethbridge.lethbridge beats edmonton in regulation or Overtime/SO.

Would Leth, and Med Hat face off in the next tiebreaker procedure in Bracket A? WHich is head 2 head record?

Kootenay would finish in 5th, since they have the fewest wins of the 3 tied teams. -- 5th because the 2 seed goes to the other Division winner. As per the 3 team tied tiebreaker.

Since 2 teams left it goes to tiebreaker A, total wins followed by head to head points.

At least thats how I read it. It is pretty confusing.

Lethbridge and Medicine Hat would get seeded based on their head to head series, since they have the same # of wins.

MH 3 @ LET 4 (OT)
LET 2 @ MH 4
MH 3 @ LET 2
LET 3 @ MH 4
Mh 1 @ LET 2
LET 2 @ MH 4
MH 4 @ LET 3
LET ? @ MH ? (tonight)

So MH wins the head to head Tiebreaker and would get 3rd. MH has 11 points to LET 3 head to head.

So the Ranking, in my mind anyways, would be in your scenario:

CGY
REG
MH
LET
KTN

Tiger Trauma
03-15-2008, 03:07 PM
yeah that part, had me all confused. Was trying to determine all possible outcomes for the tigers, and wasn't sure on the 3 way tiebreaker scenario.

Man its crazy that most teams wont know who they face untill the very last day!

AlanC
03-15-2008, 09:32 PM

Calgary gets 96 points

Yes. Kootenay would lose the 3-way tiebreaker between LTH/MH/KTN since they have the fewest wins. They would finish 5th. The Tigers and Hurricanes would then use head-to-head record to break their tie, which would give the nod to the Tigers for third.

It's a moot point though because this scenario can't happen. With Calgary and Kootenay playing each other twice to end the year, there is no way Calgary can finish with 96 points and the Ice with 95. For Calgary to only get one more point (to have 96), the Ice would have to win both those games which would give them 96 also.

Tiger Trauma
03-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

I added calgary's total wrong in that scenario, they would have had 97 point not 96. With kootenay losing in overtime/SO, then winning outright in their 2nd game

But now that Saturday is done with we know that scenario cannot happen now.

I just liked to know what may have happened if that scenario did take place. Thanks everyone for your input.