PDA

View Full Version : Round #1; Brandon vs. Lethbridge

dagley
03-15-2008, 11:11 PM
10 Hour Bus Rides, how lovely.

Joe Hallenback
03-16-2008, 12:00 AM
If Lethbridge wins tomorrow dont they get 2nd?

dagley
03-16-2008, 12:25 AM
No, Calgary leads them by 3 points. The two division winners get 1 and 2 seeds.

canes77
03-16-2008, 03:18 AM
I notice your annual fair starts on March 31st...does this mean a game 6 (likely a Sunday March 30th in a 2-2-1-1-1 series) in brandon would have to be in winnipeg (as i think has happened in the past) or will the series be a 2-3-2 in order to get your 3 home games played before set up begins for the fair?

I personally wouldn't mind a 2-3-2 given the 10 hr distance plus our strong road record.

Should be an exciting series!!

dagley
03-16-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm hoping for the 2-3-2. Its such a disappointment to miss a playoff game cause of our fair every year.

brandonboy
03-16-2008, 11:02 AM
I notice your annual fair starts on March 31st...does this mean a game 6 (likely a Sunday March 30th in a 2-2-1-1-1 series) in brandon would have to be in winnipeg (as i think has happened in the past) or will the series be a 2-3-2 in order to get your 3 home games played before set up begins for the fair?

I personally wouldn't mind a 2-3-2 given the 10 hr distance plus our strong road record.

Should be an exciting series!!

There not having any of the fair events in the arena this year so the wheaties don't have to go to Winnipeg. So it will probably be the regular Playoff format.

brandonboy
03-16-2008, 11:05 AM
The long bus ride should give us the advantage in this series being that the Wheaties are the most traveld team in the WHL therfor making them a bit more prepared for it.

dagley
03-16-2008, 02:22 PM
There not having any of the fair events in the arena this year so the wheaties don't have to go to Winnipeg. So it will probably be the regular Playoff format.

thank god.

localguy
03-16-2008, 04:31 PM
The long bus ride should give us the advantage in this series being that the Wheaties are the most traveld team in the WHL therfor making them a bit more prepared for it.

I don;t think this will conribute to an advantage. Your skill level will be the challenge as far as i am concerned. Can't wait, should be a high speed high scoring series.

dagley
03-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Our skill level, are you serious?

BWK
03-16-2008, 06:16 PM

Just like every other year, the horse show will be in be in Westman Place starting at 8:30 am March 31.

http://www.brandonfairs.com/index.php?pageid=20&attractiontypeid=3

brandonboy
03-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Just like every other year, the horse show will be in be in Westman Place starting at 8:30 am March 31.

http://www.brandonfairs.com/index.php?pageid=20&attractiontypeid=3
No Its in the new ag excellence arena or whatever its called on the NW side of the building.

WorkHorse
03-17-2008, 09:03 AM
According to the prize list for the equine portion there are hunter events in the North Arena, and jumper events in the main arena. It would be next to impossible to run hunter and jumper events out of the same arena unless you wanted to show 24 hours a day, the arena in the ag building would also be quite small for high jumper horses.

brandonboy
03-17-2008, 09:30 AM
According to the prize list for the equine portion there are hunter events in the North Arena, and jumper events in the main arena. It would be next to impossible to run hunter and jumper events out of the same arena unless you wanted to show 24 hours a day, the arena in the ag building would also be quite small for high jumper horses.
Everything is supposed to be dependent on the Wheaties schedual for the playoffs and the fair is going to have to work around the Wheaties sched. Instead of it it being the other way around, that's one of the reasons we didn't play any games in the 'peg this year.

But who know's if that will go through as planed the Keystone management is very incompetent. This was supposed to be part of the deal Kelly made this year when he renewed his contract with the Keystone.

WorkHorse
03-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Once they change Westman Place over for equine events it would be impossible to switch back and forth. Putting footing in for jumping events is time consuming and extremely important to the health of the horses. If as the Fair website says the events are taking place in Westman main arena I would think they will try to schedule around it.

The fair has been around a long time as well, and it's not so easy to just move the timing of it. There are a large number of exhibitors that come from all over the country to compete.

Spokane vs Everett is going to a 2-3-2 format as Spokane loses their arena for the NCAA ladies regional championship basketball events.

I would think Brandon/Lethbridge should be able to work out something.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Our skill level, are you serious?
I think local guy meant your high level of skill will be the challenge for the Canes. I am not saying it is higher than the Canes, but it is high.

localguy
03-17-2008, 01:42 PM
I think local guy meant your high level of skill will be the challenge for the Canes. I am not saying it is higher than the Canes, but it is high.

Thank you for deciphering what I thought was self-explanitory.** Boogaard'd

dagley
03-17-2008, 04:51 PM
2-3-2 format

#1 – Brandon @ Lethbridge; Friday, March 21 (7:00pm MST)
#2 – Brandon @ Lethbridge; Saturday, March 22 (7:00pm MST)
#3 – Lethbridge @ Brandon; Tuesday, March 25 (7:00pm MST)
#4 – Lethbridge @ Brandon; Wednesday, March 26 (7:00pm MST)
#5 – Lethbridge @ Brandon; Friday, March 28 (7:30pm MST) If Necessary
#6 – Brandon @ Lethbridge; Sunday, March 30 (7:00pm MST) If Necessary
#7 – Brandon @ Lethbridge; Monday, March 31 (7:00pm MST) If Necessary

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-17-2008, 05:05 PM
2-3-2 format

Is this set and done or just your forcast????????????

dagley
03-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Set and confirmed by whl.ca

brandonboy
03-17-2008, 10:02 PM
2-3-2 format

I like that format if we could just steal one on the road we're a really good team at home!

GlutenGlutton
03-18-2008, 08:52 AM
2-3-2 wouldn't be my first choice. Very likely that this series is going 6 or 7 games. Now we'll have to put them away on the road.

O&C
03-18-2008, 10:20 AM
lol, unlike some of the guys on our thread, i am happy for this format. It's better for everyone and this way, we get to knock you out infront of the home crowd :laugh: Silly horse show....

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-18-2008, 10:51 AM
lol, unlike some of the guys on our thread, i am happy for this format. It's better for everyone and this way, we get to knock you out infront of the home crowd :laugh: Silly horse show....
Like I said earlier, this format is fine with me given our excellent road record. We have one of the top road records in the league. We actually scored the most goals of any team on the road and scored 27 more goals on the road than we did at home. We also have 3rd best goals against on the road. Having said that you have a very good home record which will make things very interesting. The 2-3-2 favors you in a short series but having games 6 and 7 at home will probably be the difference in the end.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Kelly McCrimmon was on our weekly Canes talk show last night and his quote was. "It would be easier to reschedule and move Christmas than this Royal Fair thing". Too bad for Brandon hockey fans. At least this time you don't have to play in Winterpeg. :spineyes:

dagley
03-18-2008, 09:12 PM
:evil: Erb will be back this weekend! :evil:

patsdude114
03-19-2008, 01:20 PM

UMMMMMMM isnt Prince George the most travelled team in the WHL as their shortest bus ride is like 6 hrs in their division, where Brandons longest bus ride would be about 7 hrs TOPS in our division, and that would be to Swift Current (it is prob more like 6, but i left some time for bad roads in the terrible sask winters, and plus there is still a stretch on single lane highway on the MB side if i remember correctly)

Joe Hallenback
03-20-2008, 01:10 PM
There really isnt alot to choose between these two teams.

Both have depth up front
Both have speed up front
Both have a solid group of Defenceman
Both have unproven playoff goalies
Great Home Records

Brandon has slight edges in

Size on Defence
Youthful exuberance
Coaching

Lethbridge has slight edges in

Size on forwards
Older team
Road record

Keys to the Series

Who will get the better goaltending? 2 unproven playoff goalies whoever gets the better one will more than likely win the series
Can Brandon Contain Boychuck? Making him a non factor will go along way to winning the series
Can the Kid line keep on producing in the playoffs? Its a long and tough season and it only gets tougher in the playoffs. Can they produce..We will see.
Who wins the special teams war? Brandon loves to wear teams down with 4 lines that can skate...uh so does Lethbridge...Whoever does it better and draws more penalties will be a BIG factor

GlutenGlutton
03-20-2008, 01:42 PM
One advantage that I haven't heard mentioned anywhere is the Wheat Kings' discipline (least penalized team in the WHL). When things get tight the team that takes bad penalties is often the one that loses the series.

localguy
03-20-2008, 02:57 PM
on Mcrimmon, but Mike Dyck did get the nod for coach of the year out of the east. And, hopefully they focus on shutting down Boychuk, because even if he is a non-factor, we have 3-5 other forwards that can pick up the slack. We were without Boychuk for 11 games this year, and did very well, we have yet to have an injury free roster, since camp opened, so hopefully this will help with one line having an of night. Can't wait for tomorrow, hope to see some wheaties fans in the building, always good to see.

tyeryan9
03-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Havn't missed 1 Cane game at home this year and say a half dozen on the road. He is their best forward. If Brandon contains him, it increases their chances significantly.

dagley
03-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Havent missed a Wheat Kings home game in 8 years, including preseason and playoffs. Ah, I'm in Lethbridge!

GlutenGlutton
03-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Cheer loud Dagley!

brandonboy
03-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Havent missed a Wheat Kings home game in 8 years, including preseason and playoffs. Ah, I'm in Lethbridge!
So how do you like sec 16, personally I can't stand being behind the net, I always get my season tickets in sec 8 row f, seats 11 and 12 I like being able to see the whole ice up and close.

TwoBits
03-21-2008, 01:56 PM
UMMMMMMM isnt Prince George the most travelled team in the WHL as their shortest bus ride is like 6 hrs in their division, where Brandons longest bus ride would be about 7 hrs TOPS in our division, and that would be to Swift Current (it is prob more like 6, but i left some time for bad roads in the terrible sask winters, and plus there is still a stretch on single lane highway on the MB side if i remember correctly)

Believe it or not, PG isn't. Brandon is the most travelled and I think there may be another 1 or 2 in there too ahead of PG. It was posted somewhere earlier in the season but I can't find it now.

Bully73
03-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Believe it or not, PG isn't. Brandon is the most travelled and I think there may be another 1 or 2 in there too ahead of PG. It was posted somewhere earlier in the season but I can't find it now.

Per Alan Caldwell blog of December 21, 2007, Brandon is the most travelled followed by Kootenay and then Prince George.

Dwight Schrute
03-21-2008, 08:17 PM
i hope jeff may and dwight king have a strong series

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Dwight King was the best player on the ice and got first star. McCue is an idiot. He will cost you guys if he keeps playing like that. If he would have connected on his blatant attempt to injure Boychuk, he would of or should of got 5 and a game. I was impressed with your team speed. Overall I would have to say you guys contolled slightly more of the play than we did with your forecheck. We always play the 1-2-2 style but you guys were definitely much more aggresive on the forecheck. You keep all 5 guys up to force the play. I have never seen us have to dump it out as often as we did. We will have to figure out how to break out of our zone a lot better or we are gonna get burned. You guys were able to get out of your sone too easily a lot of times and made a lot better "first pass" plays to do so.
The Canes are very opportunistic though and we had by far the better scoring chances. Was surprised to see us get behind your D or get by them as often as we did. Caligiuri could have easily gotten 3rd star. Even though I think you outplayed us slightly overall, if Caligiuri does not make a huge save on Dwight King breakaway, and a few other early chances you might not have been in the game. Playoff hockey all the way. Way more hits than any other game this year. Reffing was strange. They let a lot of stuff go but then would call some pretty soft penalties. I tought our PP was bad but yours sucked. Our PK was also better as the stats show. 2/6 vs 0/5 or something like that. Our top line needs to better 5 on 5 but they seem to have trouble with fast teams.

patsdude114
03-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Per Alan Caldwell blog of December 21, 2007, Brandon is the most travelled followed by Kootenay and then Prince George.

ok thanks for correcting me, didnt think Brandon was but thanks for that info, and if they are the most travelled team, then they are used to it so go Canes lol

dagley
03-22-2008, 02:11 PM
The rookies were not all that great last night I thought, perhaps it was just the nerves. I don't think we can win this series without those three playing the way they can, Caliguri was great.

localguy
03-22-2008, 02:20 PM
The rookies were not all that great last night I thought, perhaps it was just the nerves. I don't think we can win this series without those three playing the way they can, Caliguri was great.

Especially on teh two breakaways, it looked like King over-thought and froze, but the save was made. I thought both tenders were good, but each team had a couple of missed oppurtunities. Might have been nerves, but both tenders were solid. I also can see why you anted Erb back in teh line up. Your best and most physical D-man out there, he cranked Iwanski coming into the zone, one of the best hits of the game.