PDA

View Full Version : That Settles It

Scout
03-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Courtesy Alan Caldwell

Sunday, March 16, 2008
That settles it
With Calgary's 6-1 thumping of Kootenay in today's only game that mattered, the playoff seedings are all finally settled. Kootenay fails to overtake Medicine Hat for #4 seed in the East and thus will open the playoffs in the Hat.

Playoff series previews coming in the next 1-3 days.

I know you're all waiting to see who I pick in each series so that you can pick the other way. See my regular season standings predictions in the archives to see how badly I suck at these predictions. Hint: I picked Tri-City 4th in the U.S. division and only in the playoffs because Portland and Prince George would be worse. At least I was right about the Hawks and Cougars.

Two more notables from Sunday's games: the Hitmen finally broke the WHL's single-game attendance record that had been held by Portland for 11 years. Calgary drew 19,305 fans to their 6-1 win over the Ice, breaking Portland's record of 19,103 from March 1997.

Portland lost that record but gained a new one, albeit one they don't want. The Hawks scored just 132 goals this season, which breaks the WHL record for fewest goals in one season. The previous record was 135, held by the 04-05 Swift Current Broncos.

And the burning question today? Which first-round series is Shaw going to elect to show this year? It will almost certainly be either Vancouver, Calgary, or Kelowna since those are the only teams they've ever shown in the playoffs, plus being three of Shaw's biggest western Canadian markets. I'm picking them to show Vancouver/Chilliwack since the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area is easily their biggest market.

HURRICANE'S ROCK
03-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Courtesy Alan Caldwell

Sunday, March 16, 2008
That settles it
With Calgary's 6-1 thumping of Kootenay in today's only game that mattered, the playoff seedings are all finally settled. Kootenay fails to overtake Medicine Hat for #4 seed in the East and thus will open the playoffs in the Hat..
The Canes/Oil Kings game mattered because were able to beat out Regina for the #2 seed in the East from the second round on. Could be huge cause if top 4 teams win the 1st round series we will meet Regina in the second round. The Pat's scare me more than the Hitmen. Now at least we would get home ice in that series, which could be the difference in what will be a close series.

peatfan
03-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Good point in regards to the Canes game meaning something in the second round. Yeah for some reason you guys have our number. Great pk by the Canes vs us (1 for 39 for the Hitmen pp-UGLY). Here's hoping that the Wheaties knock out the Canes. Should be a great playoff. Advantage in meeting the Canes is more bus trips. Good luck in the playoffs to everyone.

applause applause applause applause applause applause

canes77
03-17-2008, 02:26 PM
And the burning question today? Which first-round series is Shaw going to elect to show this year? It will almost certainly be either Vancouver, Calgary, or Kelowna since those are the only teams they've ever shown in the playoffs, plus being three of Shaw's biggest western Canadian markets. I'm picking them to show Vancouver/Chilliwack since the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area is easily their biggest market.

During the Leth-MH broadcast on Friday, I think I heard the Shaw commentators saying they will be showing a Western Conference game in the 1st round.

My guess as well is Van/Chilliwack...I figure they add up the populations of the two cities facing each other and pick the highest one. Although for the US teams, I doubt they would broadcast south of the border.