PDA

View Full Version : Eberle's offence the key to success for Pats

nivek_wahs
03-19-2008, 09:35 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=432afde0-3344-4909-97e2-b09d486f8955

Eberle's offence the key to success for Pats

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, March 19, 2008

As the Regina Pats' scholastic player-of-the-year, Jordan Eberle's 20 per cent average doesn't make the grade.

As a goal-scorer, it places him at the head of the class.

Eberle, who led the team with 42 goals and 75 points in 70 games, accounted for just a shade under 20 per cent of Regina's offensive output this season (one out of every five goals). In the process, he became the first member of the Pats to hit the 40-goal mark since Matt Hubbauer potted 48 in 2001-02.

So much for the sophomore jinx.

"Coming into the season I didn't really have set goals," explained Eberle, whose team opens its first-round playoff series against the Swift Current Broncos on Friday at the Brandt Centre. "The 42 goals that I scored, a lot of that doesn't come without good linemates. You can't ask for better ones than Timmy (Kraus) and Mike (MacAngus). We work so well together. Our team had some really good success this season and I believe strongly that when your team has success everyone is going to have success individually."

Success came fast for Eberle, who made a huge splash as a 16-year-old rookie in 2006-07 by leading Regina with 28 goals in 66 games. That accomplishment -- and the confidence it spawned -- helped him hit the ground running in his sophomore campaign.

"When you come into the season as a 17-year-old, you obviously expect to do better than your last season," noted the Regina product. "Last year I thought I was going to come in and just get a third-line role but I ended up playing (on the top unit) with Garrett Festerling. He really helped me get ready for this season and build myself into what I am right now."

The numbers show that Eberle is the undisputed key to the offence of the Pats, who had just one other player -- defenceman Logan Pyett -- reach the 20-goal mark this season.

Eberle used to be Regina's best-kept secret, but not anymore. That's part of the reason why his production slowed after flying out of the gate at a goal-per-game pace over the first month of the campaign.

"Definitely teams are keying on our line but at the same time you try not to worry about it too much," said the WHL's No. 3 goal-scorer. "You know in the back of your mind that guys are going to be sending out their defensive defencemen to play against us but you have to work through that stuff. In the long run that's going to help you be a better player."

Eberle can expect even more special treatment in the playoffs, when goals are generally tougher to come by.

That said, there's a little extra fire in his eyes when the topic turns to the postseason. Eberle enjoyed a successful playoff debut against Swift Current last season -- notching two goals and seven points in six games -- before he was forced to sit out the entire second round due to a nasty virus.

In his absence, the Pats were swept by the Medicine Hat Tigers, who went on to win the WHL title.

"I'm going to come into the playoffs with a lot of hunger," insisted Eberle. "Last year I played well in the playoffs, then I got sick. I really have a (chip) on my shoulder now because it was hard to watch your team lose out when you're sitting in the stands. This time around I'm going to be there for them to help them try to win."

Mindful of their reputation as a one-line team, the Pats will be looking for more balance throughout their lineup in the playoffs. Enter the No. 2 unit of Scott Doucet, J.D. Watt and Rudolf Cerveny, a trio which has added another element to the equation by contributing some big goals down the stretch.

Along with that, special teams will inevitably be a key in the postseason.

"We just got a letter that (the officials) are going to enforce the new rules even more and bring them back into the playoffs," added Eberle. "Special teams are going to be a huge factor. We have to be disciplined and at the same time we have to be able to kill penalties. We had a little bit of a problem (for a while) but as of late we've been pretty good. Our power play, we've had pretty good success with it, but even that can get better."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008