PDA

View Full Version : Leffler has fond memories of series winner

nivek_wahs
03-19-2008, 09:38 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=1a6c40a8-22a1-4bce-9f5c-b2f163eb211f

Leffler has fond memories of series winner

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The biggest goal of Brett Leffler's WHL career is memorable for its timing, not artistry.

"It wasn't pretty, that's for sure," Leffler, a Regina Pats' assistant captain, said with a laugh. "I probably could have put it in with a shovel, but that's the way it goes. I'll take those."

Leffler is referring, of course, to his first career playoff goal -- a game-winning, series-clinching marker in Game 6 of last season's playoff series against the Swift Current Broncos, who will face Regina in the opening round for the second straight year.

Leffler is the first to admit his goals rarely show up on a highlight reel, but this one was tough to ignore. True to form, he crashed the net and scooped home Garrett Festerling's rebound with 6.5 seconds left in overtime to give the Pats a 2-1 victory and move them into the second round of the playoffs for the first time since 1998.

"For sure it's one of my fondest memories," said Leffler, an 18-year-old native of Wynyard. "It happened so fast. I was just excited to get (the series) over with."

A few of those emotions came flooding back when Leffler found out the Pats would open the playoffs against Swift Current in back-to-back years. However, he's quick to point out that last season's result has no bearing on the upcoming series, which opens Friday at the Brandt Centre.

"It's still in the back of my mind, no question, but it's a new season," Leffler said. "They're a good team. They play like us -- it's a good matchup for us and it's a good matchup for them. We're both big, physical teams. There's not going to be many pretty goals and it's going to be a battle throughout the series. It's going to come down to mistakes and whoever wants it more. I'm looking forward to it."

Leffler acknowledged that the rivalry between Regina and Swift Current, which goes back many years, has picked up steam since last year's intense playoff series. He expects the trend to continue in this postseason clash.

"We've had our battles this year and last year in the playoffs," added Leffler, a checking-line winger. "I don't think anyone lost any memories about that so it's going to be exciting.

"When you play a team six or eight times a year and in the playoffs, you're going to build up rivalries and you're going to have moments with other people on their team. We just have to play our game. Whatever happens, happens (with) the heat-of-the-moment stuff. We just have to control our emotions and take it from there."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008