PDA

View Full Version : The Final Jab

TwoBits
03-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Here I was looking forward to the Citizen's final preview of the Cougar's season. As it turns out, it ended up being one final slap in the face. Swanson didn't even allude to there being a glimmer of hope for next season. I wonder how many season ticket holders who were on the fence after the poor season, will opt out after reading this garbage?

The article itself isn't worthy of posting, but if you want to read it, here's the link:

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=123936&Itemid=564

Teacher
03-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Although I agree with you that Mr. Swanson could have been a little more positive it is obvious that his honest assessment is bang on. Is it not better to point out the truths rather than insult the people of Prince George? After all he is not on the payroll of the Cougars.
He has pointed out that the goaltending has a chance to improve with Curtis and Wright, the defence will be young with the addition of McDonald
(if he makes the team in August ) and loss of Magnussen and Sagert ( with no overage defenceman on the horizon as they are a premium item ) which means a steep learning curve again.
The forwards have a solid 4 or 5 but when a group of 6 16 yr olds are coming who have legitimate shot at the team then there are some weaknesses up front unless the veterans can come back bigger and better.
As a fan of the Cougars I appreciate Mr Swanson's forthright commentary. I would rather hear the truth then a puffed up version of a "homers" fairy tale.

old_time_hockey
03-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Although I agree with you that Mr. Swanson could have been a little more positive it is obvious that his honest assessment is bang on. Is it not better to point out the truths rather than insult the people of Prince George? After all he is not on the payroll of the Cougars.
He has pointed out that the goaltending has a chance to improve with Curtis and Wright, the defence will be young with the addition of McDonald
(if he makes the team in August ) and loss of Magnussen and Sagert ( with no overage defenceman on the horizon as they are a premium item ) which means a steep learning curve again.
The forwards have a solid 4 or 5 but when a group of 6 16 yr olds are coming who have legitimate shot at the team then there are some weaknesses up front unless the veterans can come back bigger and better.
As a fan of the Cougars I appreciate Mr Swanson's forthright commentary. I would rather hear the truth then a puffed up version of a "homers" fairy tale.

I'm sorry, but Magnussen is useless. Cunningham countless times this season has gone in, laid a hit and came away with the puck. And Craig is half his size. He isn't a loss. Waste of a Euro spot is what he is.

WestLEAFfan
03-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Very true Teacher, however he could have used some degree of diplomacy don't you think? Mr. Swanson is very quick to point out faults, true or otherwise. There is no disputing the fact the COUGARS had a horrible season right from the goaltender out, but it's not like these boys didn't try. They are kids (except for the OA's) afterall. I'm sure the negativity is a common theme amongst many PGer's however there were those who were still sitting on the fence with regards to next season. Those folks with some degree of optimism left do not need to be reading those types of comments from a supposedly objective reporter. Mr. Swanson has had some excellent articles, this simply is not one of them.

TwoBits
03-19-2008, 06:13 PM
I didn't expect a sugar coated version of the season, that would be pretty hard to do. I just don't like his style of waiting for people to be gone before he "speaks the truth" about them.

If he is so objective, why hasn't he uttered a word about Dana Tyrell's less than stellar season? Sure, he had the most points on the team, but he didn't live up to any of this season's expectations of him either.

Now I'll answer my rhetorical question. It's because Tyrell is still going to be around next year and Swanson only likes to "dish the dirt" after people are gone. Just like that rag he wrote about Wishart once he had a province between them.

I will agree, Mr. Swanson is not on the Brodsky payroll, but I'm beginning to wonder if the, "PG Businessmen" ,supposedly interested in buying the team aren't padding his pockets.

Would it have killed him to end on a semi-positive note?

TwoBits
03-19-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm sorry, but Magnussen is useless. Cunningham countless times this season has gone in, laid a hit and came away with the puck. And Craig is half his size. He isn't a loss. Waste of a Euro spot is what he is.

I think somebody wanted to trade him for some meatballs and ikea furniture earlier in the season. :laugh:

He looked very akward when we saw him play in Prince Albert. I do think he did make some strides after the trade deadline and he seemed to be the only guy that could score with that wicked shot, when our supposed snipers couldn't get on the scoreboard. With that said, I don't think he has improved enough to take up an Overage and Euro spot.

According to the article, he may have his own ideas about returning as well.

the flying moose
03-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Not at all surprised. I don't think he has ever written anything positive about the Cougars even during last years playoff run.

TwoBits
03-19-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm not sure why I was surprised or disappointed flying moose.

And Teacher, you must be a more positive person than I am because I didn't see it as you stated.

Teacher:

He has pointed out that the goaltending has a chance to improve with Curtis and Wright, the defence will be young with the addition of McDonald (if he makes the team in August ) and loss of Magnussen and Sagert ( with no overage defenceman on the horizon as they are a premium item ) which means a steep learning curve again.
I'll Quote Swanson:

Swanson:

Who replaces Cyr? His inflated numbers say it could be anyone and it should translate into more wins Translation: Anybody will be better than Cyr in net

Swanson:

Who replaces Sagert? The veteran was minus-38 and rarely crushed opposing forwards, so the loss there is minimal. Translation: and Sagert is no big loss either.

Do I even need to translate? Nice send off.

Jimmy
03-20-2008, 08:49 AM
I hope that is a free paper...

WestLEAFfan
03-20-2008, 12:35 PM
I hope that is a free paper...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That's a good one!

Teacher
03-20-2008, 01:47 PM
I agree, yes, that Swanson looks to the negative, and takes shots at players who are gone. He also took shots at players who were in PG as well though just to be fair. I say again, however, that he is really only reiterating what the common fan seems to be feeling ( as evidenced by the dwindling attendance ). The only way for the Cougars to change the paper coverage and the fan's opinions is by playing hard nosed, skill based, hockey, with young players who will go to the wall every night....not once in a while but every night win or lose.

They have a very solid nucleus of young talent with two great leaders in Tyrell and Thiessen ( Thiessen in my opinion would be better served running shotgun on Dana's wing but we shall see ).
If this organization can live through the growing pains of two or three 16yr olds, add a solid import ( I am assuming Kupec wont be back either ) with skill, and get at least one solid 20yr old d-man then this team has the chance to make it work for next year. Play offs for sure.
The beauty of the youngsters( like Bidlevksi, Kowalski, Stanfield, McDonald, Bounassisi, Connelly ), it seems, is that they are proud to be Cougars and want to represent Prince George as evidenced by no trade requests and the fact that the 15yr olds came and played games this season. That seems to be a real change from years past when players didnt report or took potshots at the organizaiton.

One more thing with regards to the Bantam draft...Saskatoon picks 3rd in PG's slot which they got in the Setoguchi trade....Management got that pick back which is #11 this year...8 bantam draft slots for a run to the Western Conference finals in 07, and the fact that the Cougars will only play against that #3 pick, what, 10 times in 5 potential years....that is a great trade off.
Don't even mention Elliot cause he wasn't coming to PG anyways.

TwoBits
03-20-2008, 05:47 PM
I vote for Teacher as the new official reporter for the Cougars. :D

You are able to state the same facts in a much less abrasive manner. But who knows, maybe the people in PG want abrasive? :spineyes:

Any speculation as to why Dana Tyrell is "off-limits" when it comes to the harsh words? I have nothing against Dana, sounds to me like he's a great kid, but why the special treatment?

the flying moose
03-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Any speculation as to why Dana Tyrell is "off-limits" when it comes to the harsh words? I have nothing against Dana, sounds to me like he's a great kid, but why the special treatment?

same reason there is never a negative word spoken about the coaching staff. the coach is the gm's "golden boy". tyrell is the teams "golden boy" and with all the hype about how they are building the team around dana it wouldn't look very good to have negative press about their franchise player.

TwoBits
03-20-2008, 07:53 PM
same reason there is never a negative word spoken about the coaching staff. the coach is the gm's "golden boy". tyrell is the teams "golden boy" and with all the hype about how they are building the team around dana it wouldn't look very good to have negative press about their franchise player.

But if Mr Swanson isn't on the team payroll, he could say whatever he wants. I tend to read between the lines and I think his closing statement was saying "poor Dana, he's not going to have anybody any good to play with because the team's not going to peak until he's gone". Has Swanson bought into the "golden boy" image?

I'm not sure how the press works exactly, could Swanson be blacklisted if he addressed a subject that was taboo in the organization's eyes? Could he be denied access to some players for interviews etc.?

the flying moose
03-20-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure how the press works exactly, could Swanson be blacklisted if he addressed a subject that was taboo in the organization's eyes? Could he be denied access to some players for interviews etc.?

I believe its a little of that and the fact he really just dislikes the Cougars.

He calls out players but doesn't write anything bad about the coaching staff or the owner who IMO are just as responsible for poor play as the players themselves.