PDA

View Full Version : 5th pick

Trey Anastasio
03-19-2008, 04:55 PM
What are the odds the scouts get it right this year and land somebody who will be an impact player in the future? And by impact I mean a Colliton, Hartnell, Schultz not a Depape, Gauthier, Palazzo or anybody else in that category.

On that note, is it better to draft somebody like Hartnell who comes in and move on to the NHL in 2 years, or somebody who won't go too far professinallybut puts up consistent points over a 4 or 5 year period? Smith could have been considered a draft bust but turned out to be a decent WHL player.

Dwight Schrute
03-19-2008, 05:20 PM
What are the odds the scouts get it right this year and land somebody who will be an impact player in the future? And by impact I mean a Colliton, Hartnell, Schultz not a Depape, Gauthier, Palazzo or anybody else in that category.

On that note, is it better to draft somebody like Hartnell who comes in and move on to the NHL in 2 years, or somebody who won't go too far professinallybut puts up consistent points over a 4 or 5 year period? Smith could have been considered a draft bust but turned out to be a decent WHL player.
which smith ?
i think this pick will reflect on campese , and he will be doing his homework for a while on it

Trey Anastasio
03-19-2008, 05:47 PM
1st overall dub pick....decent WHL career but never went anywhere.

Dwight Schrute
04-29-2008, 03:46 PM
40 (from leth)
61 from reg
94 from kam
103 from ktn

these are the picks we have. can anyone tell me what happenned with us trading the rights to max nicastro to everett for a 3rd round pick ?

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan – The Prince Albert Raiders announced a Western Hockey League trade this morning, trading list player Max Nicastro to the Everett Silvertips in exchange for a conditional Bantam Draft pick.
Nicastro, from Thousand Oaks, California, was selected by the Raiders in the 11th round, 208th overall in the 2005 WHL Bantam Draft.

In return the Raiders will receive the Silvertips 3rd round selection in a future WHL Bantam Draft
http://www.whl.ca/news/index.php?=&id=4687&showToc=1

howley
04-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I think it will be tough to screw up on an early first round pick this year but who know's.

hobster
04-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Ya no doubt the Raiders are gonna get a good one this year the top 8 guys in the draft are so strong i have a feeling they select Ty Rattie

my guess for the top 6 picks would be as follows

1.RD [ St.Croix
2.Ptl[ McColgan
3.Sask[Nugent-Hopkins
4.EDM[ Benson
5.P.A ;Rattie
6.Sask[Topping

AlanC
04-30-2008, 10:13 AM
can anyone tell me what happenned with us trading the rights to max nicastro to everett for a 3rd round pick ?
http://www.whl.ca/news/index.php?=&id=4687&showToc=1

It was a conditional 3rd round pick, which almost certainly means that the Raiders don't get anything from Everett unless Nicastro plays in the WHL. This is a pretty standard type of arrangement when trading a player who won't play for the team that owns his rights.

Sabes
04-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Ty Rattie would be an unreal pick for us, we can use a sniper like him.

Scout
04-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Prince Albert, SK

Raiders seek size, character in bantam draft

Continued development can be as important as quality of draftees, says GM-coach Campese
ADAM HAWBOLDT
Herald Staff

Bruno Campese knows what he is looking for.

Heading to Calgary for Thursday's WHL bantam draft, the Prince Albert Raiders coach and general manager has a list of certain criteria he wants his draft picks to live up to.

"We're looking for quality players as far as overall skill set is concerned," said Campese. "We're also looking to increase the size of our team, because we were a little on the small side last season. And we're looking for kids with good characters who can come here and be a good fit in the organization."

While any player with those attributes might look good on paper, Campese will be the first to tell you it's not always easy to tell what the future might hold for these 15-year-old kids.

According to Campese, the bantam draft can be a crapshoot at the best of times.

"There are a lot of unknowns involved in this process," he said.

"At that age they're not fully developed, mentally or physically, so it can be a little difficult. It's a challenge for sure."

However, with three picks in the top 40 (Nos. 5, 27 and 40), the Raiders seem to believe they're up for the challenge at hand.

"I like our position at five," said Campese. "The ability of the first 12 players in the draft is high, and no matter what way you slice it, you're going to end up with a pretty good player. And with the other two top-40 picks, we should be able to get some other quality players to work with."

And therein lies Campese's drafting philosophy: it's not just about getting the most talented players - although that helps. For him it's more about drafting well and developing better.

"That's really important," he said. "If you try to trade and quick-fix everything, you're just rolling the dice and you don't know what's going to happen in the end. So the approach we want to take is to work through the draft. We want to select quality players that we can continue to develop instead of trying to patchwork things here and there."

That said, Campese admitted almost in the same breath that he's not ruling out the idea of a trade - as long the price is right.

"I'm not saying a trade doesn't make sense, but I think we have to be cognizant of what we're doing," he said. "For us to trade away our top pick and move lower, say to the middle of the draft, we would need to get a pretty good player in return. A young player who could be here for a few years."

ahawboldt@paherald.sk.ca

another phillips would do nicely, thanks

If the history of recent WHL drafts repeats itself, the Prince Albert Raiders should end up with some talent to work with again next year.
In the 2005 draft, the Raiders took Jordan Trach, Blaine Tendler and James Dobrowolski with their first three picks (not to mention Kyle Aschim and Steven Stanford, snagged in the seventh and 10th rounds, respectively).
The following year they used their top three choices to select Cole Penner, Ryan Button, and Brandon Herrod - now 17-year-olds who should play big roles in the near future.
Then, in the 2007 draft, the Raiders took Ryan Aasman (who saw some playing time last season as a 15-year-old), Ryan Harrison (who GM-coach Bruno Campese is enthused about) and Sean Aschim (who continued to improve last year with the Prince Albert Mintos).
On a different historical note:
In 1993, the last time the Raiders held the No. 5 overall pick, they selected a big, young defenceman by the name of Chris Phillips who went on to be selected first overall in the 1996 NHL entry draft and has been a longtime mainstay on the Ottawa Senators blue-line.
To that extent, Campese hopes history does, in fact, repeat itself.
"To get a guy like Chris Phillips, that would be real good," he said with a chuckle.

Dwight Schrute
04-30-2008, 04:27 PM
It was a conditional 3rd round pick, which almost certainly means that the Raiders don't get anything from Everett unless Nicastro plays in the WHL. This is a pretty standard type of arrangement when trading a player who won't play for the team that owns his rights.
yes usually its a 3rd if he plays or a late round if he doesnt. hence the gamble

scrunt
04-30-2008, 08:23 PM
"We're looking for quality players as far as overall skill set is concerned," said Campese. "We're also looking to increase the size of our team, because we were a little on the small side last season. And we're looking for kids with good characters who can come here and be a good fit in the organization."

Wow, that's a pretty radical strategy. Going for skill, size, and character puts him in a Class of One, since I can guarantee that all of the other teams will be looking for skill, size, character and speed. http://whlfans.ca/images/smilies/tongue.gif http://whlfans.ca/images/smilies/wink.gif

eye4aneye
05-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Ya no doubt the Raiders are gonna get a good one this year the top 8 guys in the draft are so strong i have a feeling they select Ty Rattie

my guess for the top 6 picks would be as follows

1.RD [ St.Croix
2.Ptl[ McColgan
3.Sask[Nugent-Hopkins
4.EDM[ Benson
5.P.A ;Rattie
6.Sask[Topping

What went down. Not bad Hobster...where did you have McNeill?
1. Red Deer, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C, Burnaby, B.C.; 2. Portland, Ty Rattie, LW, Airdrie, Alta.; 3. Saskatoon (from Prince George), Duncan Siemens, D, Sherwood Park, Alta., 4. Edmonton, Michael St. Croix, C, Winnipeg; 5. Prince Albert, Mark McNeill, C, Edmonton; 6. Saskatoon, Brent Benson, C, Weyburn, Sask.; 7. Kamloops, Colin Smith, C, Edmonton; 8. Chilliwack, Mitch Topping, D, Red Deer, Alta.; 9. Everett, Ryan Murray, D, White City, Sask.; 10. Brandon (from Kelowna), Klarc Wilson, RW, Edmonton; 11. Prince George (from Moose Jaw), Jesse Forsberg, D, Waldheim, Sask.; 12. Swift Current, Reece Scarlett, D, Sherwood Park, Alta.; 13. Kelowna (from Brandon), Shane McColgan, C, Manhattan Beach, Calif.; 14. Seattle, Connor Sanvido, C, Maple Ridge, B.C.; 15. Kootenay, Brendan Hurley, LW, Fort Saskatchewan, Alta.; 16. Medicine Hat, Dylan Busenius, D, Sherwood Park, Alta.; 17. Regina, Myles Bell, D, Calgary; 18. Lethbridge, Phil Tot, C, Calgary; 19. Calgary, Peter Kosterman, D, Calgary; 20. Vancouver, Zach Hodder, D, North Delta, B.C.; 21. Spokane, Mitch Holmberg, RW, Sherwood Park, Alta.; 22. Tri-City, Zac Yuen, D, Vancouver.

hobster
05-02-2008, 10:19 AM
I had McNeil at 8 i believe.. My predictions were a little off to say the least but it was just a guess. McNeil for you guys is gonna be a great power foward. And im very happy how the Blades drafted yesterday, maybe the Blades and Raiders will start to be a force in the east division like we were in the early 90,s, one can only hope.

eye4aneye
05-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Ohhh I don't even see McNeil on your list...I think McNeil is a great choice!! Great fit in his rookie year if he keeps developing....