PDA

View Full Version : Wait finally over for Yonkman

nivek_wahs
03-20-2008, 07:01 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=ade1543f-cc91-4be5-a964-c0ee5f490f40

Wait finally over for Yonkman

Tim Switzer, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, March 20, 2008

Travis Yonkman has waited a long time for this.

The 19-year-old Swift Current Broncos goaltender will make his first playoff start Friday when his team visits the Regina Pats (7 p.m., Brandt Centre) for Game 1 of a best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal.

For two seasons prior to the 2007-08 campaign, most of Yonkman's experiences in the Western Hockey League came on the bench watching starter Kyle Moir -- the league's all-time leader in games and minutes played by a goaltender -- between the pipes.

"Learning in a backup position for your future years is just as important as actually playing," said Yonkman, a Saskatoon product. "The last two years, I've watched and I've learned and I know what to expect this year."

Yonkman appeared in 12 games as a rookie two years ago and in 30 last season. His only playoff experience came in 22 minutes of relief over two games against the Medicine Hat Tigers during which he allowed four goals.

Those goals, however, aren't likely to be on his mind. Yonkman entered the season as the Broncos' undisputed No. 1 goaltender and hasn't given head coach Dean Chynoweth many reasons to second guess that decision.

Yonkman finished the regular fourth in the WHL with 31 wins while posting a 2.67 goals-against average and a .909 save percentage.

"Whenever you have a 72-game season, there's going to be some ups and downs but he minimizes those," said Chynoweth.

Part of that success, Yonkman explained, is because he had a good teacher.

"I learned a lot from Kyle over the last two years," said Yonkman. "He showed me how to come day in and day out with consistency. This has been a lot different than the backup role, but I think I've done a good job with it."

Over the course of two seasons, Yonkman admitted it was tough to sit on the bench while Moir played the minutes.

"You always want to get in there and get as many games as you can, but you're going to be in those situations sometimes," said Yonkman. "The best you can do is just soak up all that is thrown at you and learn along the way."

Chynoweth said those frustrations never showed, but the head coach knows and likes that Yonkman wasn't always happy at the end of the bench.

"He's a popular, well-liked guy in our dressing room and a lot of that is because of the way he went about things the last two years," said Chynoweth. "You hope it's tough on them because if it isn't, then maybe they aren't as competitive as you'd like them to be. Competitive individuals that want to be out there and want to make a difference. Travis is no different.

"There were lots of times we had to talk about it and I'm sure he was sick of me saying, 'Bide your time. Be patient.' He's been rewarded for that this year."

Now that Yonkman has proved himself a capable starter in the regular season, he still needs to show the same in the postseason.

That grand total of 22 minutes of playoff experience sticks out like a sore thumb to look at Yonkman's career stats, but the goaltender and his coach aren't concerned. Yonkman has played in pressure situations before in the postseason, leading the Saskatoon Contacts to a national midget AAA Telus Cup championship in 2005.

"He did that and has been in a series of situations where he faced a lot of shots and certain games where he didn't and had to stay sharp," said Chynoweth. "All those experiences as an athlete, you pull from at different times. It's not always just the league you're in. He's witnessed the playoffs for the last two years and now he's excited for his opportunity."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008