PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 1 @ Pats 2

Big Ern
03-21-2008, 10:50 PM
SPECIAL TEAMS.

That might hit you in the eye when you look at tonight's game report. It was a big part of a problem night for the Broncos. The Pats capitalized on their first two man advantages in the game, and the second goal ended up being the game winner. The Broncos failed to capitalize at all on seven opportunities, and that includes 1:39 on a 5 on 3 in the second period. There's your difference in the game right there.

Travis Yonkman was phenominal. He kept our team in the game to the very end.

The Broncos' only goal, scored by Zack Smith, was one of the prettiest goals this season. A tick-tack-toe play by Weise, Felde, and Smith. I hope and think we will see more of those in game two.

The hit by J.D. Watt on Michael Wilson was likely planned as an attempt to injure our defenseman of the year. It was clearly charging with bad intentions, and hopefully gets reviewed by the WHL tomorrow. As for Wilson, the Broncos missed him intensely on the powerplay, and his status is unclear. I've heard some positive news for tomorrow, but I guess we'll have to see when 7 PM rolls around. :)

The Broncos' best players really were not their best players at all times. Guys have to step up in order to take game #2 tomorrow. Secondly, they looked scared to go in the corners...with good reason. The Pats hit everything that moved. Tomorrow, the Broncos have to outskate them in order to win. They have the speed to do that.

The ice was HORRENDOUS. Swift Current has LIVED all year on the long pass outside of the zone. Not one of them connected tonight. The ice was a major factor. However, good teams adjust to that.....or do they?

Our guys are mature, they're good players, and it's only one game. That's why the series has seven games. I have huge confidence that they can think about it tonight, and figure it out tomorrow.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

nivek_wahs
03-21-2008, 11:04 PM
The hit by J.D. Watt on Michael Wilson was likely planned as an attempt to injure our defenseman of the year. It was clearly charging with bad intentions, and hopefully gets reviewed by the WHL tomorrow. As for Wilson, the Broncos missed him intensely on the powerplay, and his status is unclear. I've heard some positive news for tomorrow, but I guess we'll have to see when 7 PM rolls around. :)Methinks it was Brett Leffler that hit Wilson. As for the "charge" I won't comment as I will probably get attacked (as I am posting in "unfamiliar" territory :clown: ).

Big Ern
03-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Methinks it was Brett Leffler that hit Wilson. As for the "charge" I won't comment as I will probably get attacked (as I am posting in "unfamiliar" territory :clown: ).

I'm sorry. I just looked at the video, and I couldn't play it....there are technical problems, or my internet is weak.

If it was Leffler, it was Leffler. My opinion of the hit in general will not change.

nivek_wahs
03-21-2008, 11:15 PM
My opinion of the hit in general will not change.Hey man I respect your opinion, so I won't comment on that hit as it may become a crazily debatable subject. I'm sure I would hold a similar opinion if a Pat player was in the same position as Wilson. So I don't want to start a war, it's been so nice and civil around here recently (between Bronco and Pats fans), I want to keep the peace.

So anyway, after seeing this first game the series is going to be a war! I love playoff hockey!

GO PATS GO!

Dogstink
03-21-2008, 11:45 PM
I was sitting beside some Swift fans and they said Wilson just returned from a concussion injury. Hopefully he didn't get another one from that hit cause he sure looked wobbly skating off. As for it being an 'attack', no one around me seem to think it was dirty or malicious, just general hard hitting hockey. Surprised why anyone would think there needs to be a review by the league. Good luck to him and hopefully he can return to the series.

ointhecreek
03-21-2008, 11:55 PM
From watching the internet feed it looked like the Broncos were playing a one sided no hit game. Powder puff! Not going to win many games letting the pats skate around our end untouched. Hopefully they'll pick it up tomorrow. And whats with Jon Keen? He's starting to sound like Roddy with all the whining about the reffs.

Scout
03-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Broncos drop first playoff game to Pats
REGINA
SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

Two Regina Pats’ powerplay goals were the difference in a 2-1 win over the Swift Current Broncos as the Pats won the first game of the best-of-seven first round playoff series on Friday night in Regina.

The Pats got powerplay goals from Colten Tuebert and Tim Krause in the win. Swift Current replied with a Zack Smith marker.

The Regina Pats imposed their will physically on the Broncos early and often following the lead of Brett Leffler who knocked Broncos defenseman Michael Wilson out of the game with a glass rattling hit only 18 seconds into the contest. Wilson stayed down for a moment before getting to his feet and staggering to the bench and did not return.

The Pats continued their physical assault until they earned a 1-0 lead on a Colton Teubert powerplay goal 7:17 into the contest.

The Pats threatened to stretch the lead to 2-0 when Kirt Hill broke in all alone only a minute later but Travis Yonkman turned Hill aside.

The Broncos recovered from the lackluster beginning and tied the contest 1-1 when Zack Smith finished a three-way tic-tac-toe passing play from Dale Weise and Erik Felde with 3:55 remaining in the opening frame.

Regina grabbed a 2-1 lead in the second period when Tim Krause pounced on a loose puck in the crease on the powerplay. The scoring opportunity came as a result of a Logan Pyett shot that deflected at least once in front of Yonkman and found Krause and an open net.

Cody Eakin had the Broncos best chance of the middle frame as he undressed Victor Bartley while shorthanded midway through the period only to fire the puck wide of the net.

The third period was dominated by the Pats as they controlled the play with strong physical play in addition to a equally effective puck possession game. Only the play of Yonkman kept the period a scoreless one.

Travis Yonkman was easily the Broncos’ best player as he made countless highlight-reel stops to keep the Broncos in a game where they were outshot 35-20, including 11-4 and 12-6 deficits in the second and third periods.

In his first playoff start Yonkman stopped 33 of 35 shots in the defeat. He explained his first taste of the WHL playoffs as a starting netminder.

“My preparation was the exact same as all season long. For me, keeping it simple, keeping myself calm with confidence in the net, and having a good warm-up, that is pretty much it, it’s just feeling comfortable like you go in every night.”

Yonkman didn’t seem phased by all the quality scoring chances at his end of the ice.

“You can’t think about that, you have to take each shift one at a time and come up with the big saves because that is what your team needs. Playoffs are a long road and you need a couple of those saves to move on.”

Broncos forward Dale Weise gave full credit to the Pats.

“We knew what they were going to do and they came out and played to their game plan. That is the type of team they are, they are a big physical team, they like to try and run teams out of their building and they did that tonight.”

The Broncos finished the game zero for seven on the powerplay, while the Pats scored twice in seven opportunities. Weise knows that in the playoff special teams are often the difference.

“You have to give some credit to their penalty killing, guys like Bender and Pyett did a real good job for them on defense. We weren’t good enough on the powerplay plain and simple, we didn’t execute the way we wanted to and we have got to be better if we are going to stay in this series.”

Broncos head coach Dean Chynoweth was disappointed with the effort of his troops while giving full marks to the Pats.

“I thought that from the start we didn’t respond the way we wanted to. I thought they followed their game plan. We knew they were going to come out and hit everything that moved and they did that. Obviously losing Wilson on the first shift of the game hurt our powerplay for sure. I thought we were still in a game but we had too many passengers.”

Chynoweth had little doubt who deserved the win.

“They were the better team plain and simple, they followed their game plan, they were more physical then us, they executed on the powerplay we didn’t, and they are on the winning side.”

Game two goes Saturday night in Regina.

nivek_wahs
03-22-2008, 07:47 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=7cd6d31a-e227-4437-bb49-ad1f97e826a4

Yonkman preferred a victory

Tim Switzer, Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, March 22, 2008

Travis Yonkman did his part for the Swift Current Broncos on Friday, but he still didn't see a silver lining in a 2-1 loss to the Regina Pats.

"I'm not trying to think individual right now," Yonkman said after he made 33 saves in Game 1 of a best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal. "It's a team game and if our team loses, none of us succeed. If I can pull out a win by myself, I'm happy to share that with my team too."

In his first-ever playoff start, the 19-year-old was arguably the best Swift Current player on the ice and made several spectacular saves to keep the game close.

"If it wasn't for him, it could have been 4-1 or 5-1," said Broncos head coach Dean Chynoweth. "He made some real key saves, kept us in it and we had a chance right until the end. Maybe it wasn't deservedly so, but it was mainly because of him."

Yonkman was the Broncos' backup for two seasons behind Kyle Moir and had only seen 22 minutes of playoff action before Friday.

To watch his performance, that would not have been at all evident.

"There's always a nervousness with this," said Yonkman.

"I never got a chance at this level to compete, but now it is my chance and I'm trying to make the most of it.

"I was on the bench for two years and I learned what (the playoff atmosphere) was all about and that I have to make those big saves when needed and not let in those easy ones either."

His next opportunity to start will come tonight (7 p.m.) at the Brandt Centre in Game 2 when Yonkman will try to match Friday's performance.

Despite several good chances for the Pats, they could rarely solve the Broncos' netminder. During one stretch in the third period, Regina had at least four good chances in front in a two-minute span only to be stoned again and again by Yonkman's right pad.

"My hat's off to him -- he was outstanding," said Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "That's the way it goes and we have to take advantage of our chances."

Even the shots Yonkman let past him -- one by Colten Teubert and one by Tim Kraus -- were not entirely his fault. Both came on the powerplay with several players in front of the net.

"That's part of the game," said Yonkman. "They try to get under your skin, but I'm a pretty calm guy in the net. I don't let myself get rattled. I just stay calm, collected and make those saves."

Yonkman also had to deal with the loss of 20-year-old defenceman Michael Wilson, who was knocked from the game with an apparent head injury just 18 seconds in after taking a punishing hit by Regina's Brett Leffler. Wilson skated wobbly to the bench before heading to the Broncos dressing room.

Following the game, Chynoweth did not immediately know Wilson's status for tonight's contest.

With an impressive starting debut now in the past, Yonkman will try to match the performance today and hope his teammates can provide a little more goal support -- namely by doing what the Pats did to him Friday.

"We just need to bear down and get pucks through," sad Yonkman. "They were blocking shots, we missed the net and I don't think we were that prepared at the start of the game and it paid off (for Regina). On our powerplay especially, we have to get pucks to the net, guys in front and make life hard for (Regina goalie Linden) Rowat."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

WestLEAFfan
03-22-2008, 09:43 AM
I tried to listen to this game last night and was unable to connect to either the BRONCO or PAT internet feed. Anyone else have this difficulty? Internet was working fine but still no luck with either link.

ointhecreek
03-22-2008, 10:02 AM
I tried to listen to this game last night and was unable to connect to either the BRONCO or PAT internet feed. Anyone else have this difficulty? Internet was working fine but still no luck with either link.
No problem here. I listened to pre game on Bronco feed then watched the webcast.

Big Ern
03-22-2008, 10:04 AM

I'm not sure about the EAGLE 94.1 link. It should work if you click on it and follow the instructions. I think they had some problems and just repaired it...that's the word.

But I AM sure....if Swift Current's doesn't work....you can log on to www.620ckrm.com the link to listen live will work. It's right on their website.

Good luck.

Speedy Broncs
03-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Was just on the Pats whlfans link .... great comments methinks from patsdude regarding the game. Ref Herman seemed to think he was the hero out there and made a number of "interesting" calls on both sides - I thought there were several calls on both teams (Weise, Cervany, Hill's interference on Nelson at centre ice, etc.) that were a "look at me, I'm wearing the stripes tonight" kind of calls.

Yonkman played great, Eakin had his usual never give up kind of game, Smith showed up very well - but, we had a number of guys who looked very nervous/tentative/invisible out there. Looking forward to tonight's game - hoping all of the jitters are gone and we can play like we can.

The Pats outplayed us last night - shot clock, physically, overall pace of the game. Didn't see our speed come out last night - we must do that to make them take some penalties.

Gotta add just a few comments about Watt - great player, but I never saw a tuff guy/agitator/kind of player like he is take the number of dives that he did last night! And, what was with the post-fight mumbo jumbo ... both he and Smith got a number of good shots in, Watt DEFINITELY did not come out the clear winner (I call it a draw, as did some Pat fans around us!), but yet he gives the 'i am the absolute winner' dance. Looking forward to more of the Smith/Watt routine throughout the series.

What was the overall feeling on Wilson's hit - cheap or clean? Curious why he was out for the first shift last night - everyone knew the Pats were coming out with banging the boards on their minds. Michael may not have been the best choice for the opening lineup!

Go Swifty Go!!

dodywood4ever
03-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Said all year the lack of a heavy is gonna cost us in the playoffs. U think if Watt is lined up against Tidball he runs our dman of the year 14 seconds in? Christ even James had 2 or 3 designated guns every year we went anywhere. Now our captain has to fight Watt, Grantham, Mclaren etc....

patsdude114
03-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Gotta add just a few comments about Watt - great player, but I never saw a tuff guy/agitator/kind of player like he is take the number of dives that he did last night! And, what was with the post-fight mumbo jumbo ... both he and Smith got a number of good shots in, Watt DEFINITELY did not come out the clear winner (I call it a draw, as did some Pat fans around us!), but yet he gives the 'i am the absolute winner' dance. Looking forward to more of the Smith/Watt routine throughout the series.

I think it was more of a lets get into the game more fans, and raise the roof (as much as it can in the Snore (Brandt) Center......

Also want to say thanks for your support of my game comments...... Also Big Ern loved your post as well, and i completely agree with you when u said "the Bronco's looked scared to go into the corner's" (my wording might be abit off but close lol)

Said all year the lack of a heavy is gonna cost us in the playoffs. U think if Watt is lined up against Tidball he runs our dman of the year 14 seconds in? Christ even James had 2 or 3 designated guns every year we went anywhere. Now our captain has to fight Watt, Grantham, Mclaren etc....

I agree with you also dodywood4ever, a guy with even abit of a tough guy rep on your roster would help i am sure, the trade off was big twice for the Pats once during the fight and then with unsportsmanlike penalties in the 3rd. Im not saying Watt is a bad hockey player but Smith brings alot more to the ice then Watt (each different types of players) but Watt got Smith off the ice for 7 minutes last night which does help, as he is a key PK and PP guy for the Bronco's.

Big Ern this is for you bud.......... GO PATS GO!!! :D vci22 :thumb:

WestLEAFfan
03-22-2008, 08:00 PM
I'm not sure about the EAGLE 94.1 link. It should work if you click on it and follow the instructions. I think they had some problems and just repaired it...that's the word.

But I AM sure....if Swift Current's doesn't work....you can log on to www.620ckrm.com the link to listen live will work. It's right on their website.

Good luck.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.