PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 5 @ Pats 3

Big Ern
03-23-2008, 02:52 AM
That was better!

The Broncos took advantage of the powerplay in the third period in Regina, and outscored the Pats 3-0 in the final frame to score a come-from-behind victory, thus evening up the series at one game a-piece.

Finally, the PP clicked. That was the important aspect of tonight's game. Again, special teams looked bad early on. The Pats struck on their first opportunity...the Broncos could not seem to find the back of the net, even with their 5 on 3 PP early on. But thankfully, that would change in the third period, thanks to the tying goal by Zack Smith. The Broncos have now found a way to make their PP work.

This game was one of many twists and turns. There were three lead changes throughout the game. All in all, still a very exciting affair.

Our guys were resilient tonight. They were NOT going to leave that rink with the series at 2-0 for Regina. That's why our veterans stepped up...guys like Levi Nelson, Dale Weise, Zack Smith, Bretton Stamler, and Eric Doyle were seen bringing forth great performances. A few of those older guys improved their game vastly from last night, a sure sign of maturity. How about the young line...Eakin and Dowling?! WOW. I was impressed with both guys. They played so hard, and it obviously payed off. Justin got the first star, and Eakin the third star. Both guys had a +2 rating. For them to step up and play like that in a playoff game is just outstanding. So by all accounts, a great effort by the forwards in this one. Rebound.

The shorthanded defense was good too. Missing defenseman of the year Michael Wilson to start with, the guys gave it their all and did a pretty good job stopping the Pats. The exception was the second Regina goal. A weak play was made and the puck ended up in the net as a result. The third period saw Jesse Dudas take a bad hit on the boards and the aftermath didn't look good. Chances are Jesse will be gone for a while. His status has yet to be updated...we'll wait and see. The goaltending and defense was exceptional, but there's that stab of two of our top defensemen possibly being out for a while....however, you can't dwell on it. The Carolina Hurricanes won a Stanley Cup without Erik Cole. Let's go defense!

The Pats are a very tough team to play against..especially at home. Their defense is big, they can hit, and when given the chance, they can certainly score a goal as well. However, they fell through tonight...especially in that third period. They still get away with quite a bit of hooking and hassling, etc. They're definitely a slow team, but know how to play that style. Regina had one or two passengers tonight for sure. Linden Rowatt did not have his best game...neither did Logan Pyett. I enjoyed it....it's a lot of fun to witness a home Pats' loss.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

NOTES:

-the hit on Jesse Dudas by Jordan Eberle? It was very ugly. Sometimes emotions cannot be kept in check, which I think is what happened on this play. The bottom line is, it likely injured one of our top defensemen, it was an ugly hit, and should be reviewed by the league and the proper actions taken. That's all I'm gonna write about it. I know people will disagree, but I'm not going to comment anymore. The league will look and see I guess..... All I can't figure out, is why Ebs would do anything like that. He's not that type of guy, and it's not his style. Strange, and tough to grasp.

-the Brandt Centre ice was MUCH better tonight. I don't know what they did to it or if it was just a colder temperature, but it looked a lot smoother and faster than last night.

-I actually had a great weekend in Regina..unlike other trips there on which I've been quite bored, I found a few things to do this time..

patsdude114
03-23-2008, 04:12 AM
Big Ern it was great to talk to you again at a game.... As i am sure you have seen already i made my post on the Pats thread about this game, yes my team lost but it was still a great hockey game, i knew our PK couldnt hold off SC's PP back to back games. SC made us pay thats what good teams do.

The league will definately be looking at Eberle's hit, i agree that is not his game at all (as would most of the league) but his actions deserve at least 1 game (as hard as it is to say) but to be honest it wouldnt surprise me if he gets star treatment, do i agree with star treatment no but we will find out come monday afternoon most likely.

I personally didnt think Rowat played all that bad, his defence infront of him were turning pucks over most of the game. Didnt think the Pats were blocking shots like they had been in game 1. As for your Pyett comment i completely agree he has been invisible this series, yes you love that part lol but me being a Pats fan i want to like a firecracker under his A$$. He is a elite Defenceman in this league and he has to take chances that is his game and the only way he is effective.

Another big loss on the Bronco's backend with Dudas breaking his wrist on the Eberle hit. With Wilson and Dudas out that is alot of minutes that have to be handed out elsewhere now. Stamler has been amazing in this series, i really liked this trade when you guys got him.

Big Ern i may be at games 3 &4 in Swifty not 100% sure yet as it is during the week, damn work anyways...... If im there ill look for ya;) but here it goes as i am a Pats fan.............

GO PATS GO!!!!!!!

Scout
03-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Saturday, March 22, 2008
rodpedersen.com
BRONCOS 5 PATS 3
Series tied 1-1

With the Pats playing without suspended forward Brett Leffler and the Broncos without injured blueliner Michael Wilson (courtesy Leffler), the two teams took to the Brandt Centre ice Saturday night for Game 2 of this WHL Eastern Conference Quarterfinal. The Pats were also missing forward Rudolph Cerveny who missed the game with a fever of 100+ degrees. That made way for the WHL playoff debut of Pats' hotshot call-up Jordan (The Real Deal) Weal.

Special teams remained special for Regina in the opening period, as Ryan DePape scored powerplay goal at 3:29 to put the Pats up 1-0. J.D. Watt and Scott Doucet set it up. Cody Eakin tied it for Swift Current at 11:39 and Justin Dowling gave the Broncos their first lead of the series, 2-1 at 17:59. However Matt Strueby tied it for Regina at 2-2, at 18:29 of the first, Regina's first even strength goal of the series. The period ended that way, with the Pats outshooting the opposition 12-10, and out-hitting them 28-17. Each team had a 5-on-3 in the first, but was unable to capitalize.

There was just one goal in the middle frame. Jordan Eberle netted his first of the series at 8:49 on the powerplay from Logan Pyett and Tim Kraus. Regina was outshooting them 19-18 after 40 minutes, but the Broncos out-hit them 29-19. Also after that second period, Regina was 2/6 on the PP while the Broncos were 0/4 (and 0/11 in the series overall. So it was 3-2 Pats after two.

The third period started lethargically for the Pats. In fact it was apparent they took their foot off the gas. Swift Current wound up with a 5-on-3 PP and Zack Smith scored to tie at 3-3 at 7:27. Less than a minute later, at even strength, Dowling scored at 8:26 to give Swift a 4-3 lead. Things took a turn even worse for Regina when Jordan Eberle took 5-and-a game for boarding at 11:38. With 2:08 left in it though, Georgie Wudrick of the Broncos took a double-minor for highsticking Regina's Ryan Bender. That gave Regina late powerplay, down a goal. Watt however, took a goaltender interference penalty and that killed the Pats' chances. Matt Tassone scored an empty-net powerplay goal with :11 to go, to ice it.

Game over. 5-3 Broncos and they earn a split in Regina to tie the series at 1-1 heading into Games 3 and 4 in Swift Current.

The shots ended 31-28 S.C., including 13-9 in the third. Regina was 2/7 on the powerplay and 7/8 killing penalties. Regina out-hit them 58-55 according to Paczko's stats, and were 53% on faceoffs (40/76).

Molson 3-Stars: 1) Dowling, 2) Strueby, 3) Eakin. Taylor Toyota Hardest Working Pat - Garrett Mitchell.

Game 3 is Tuesday night in the Credit Union I-Plex at 7:30pm on 620 CKRM.

We'll breakdown the series with another junior hockey discussion Monday Night on Sportsline at 6:05pm on CKRM with analysts Kelly Remple and Chris Hodges..

Scout
03-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Sounds like the Broncos are trying to go hit for hit with the Pats. If we do it could wear us down in the long run. Pats are alot bigger and can withstand the physical play. Both teams seem very well matched up and could go either way. One thing is i have not heard much of Wiese this series. He usually lays out a couple of thunderous hits every game but i have heard nothing on if he is playing physical. Sounds like a great series and can't wait for games three and four.

Scout

stick boy
03-23-2008, 09:14 AM
The Eberle hit should be multiple games and may even stretch into next season if the WHL gets it right. The intent of that hit makes me cringe when I watch the video. The fact that Dudas only injured his arm or wrist is actually lucky, it could have been way worse.

The J.D. Watt fake injury meter hit three last night. It was comically the way he faked injury on the Smith hit to try and get a double minor. He couldn't even bear weight as he was assisted off and then came out for the powerplay 53 second slater with a huge grin on his face. No wonder Pats fans at the rink can't stand this guy. I also love the way he acted surprised when he took out our goalie for the third time away from the play and actually got a penalty.

WestLEAFfan
03-23-2008, 09:38 AM
I hope the teams actually have a player or two left for the next series! Injuries and suspensions seem to be the order of the day.

Flathead
03-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Drove up for the game last night and the outcome made the drive home seem to fly right along.
The boys never gave up and at times the Pats stood around watching us especially in the third period. The 5 on 3 in the first period was very unlucky for us, I believe it was Nelson that fanned on a shot and missed a totally empty net and then we rang one off the post. It looked like our pp was going to struggle again and I think it was very important for our pp that Smith finally netted a pp goal. The play of everyone was elevated to another level tonight and we remembered that we can throw hits as well, they don't have to be big bone crushing hits but is important that we finish our checks and let the Pats know that we are around and will be hitting as well. Big Ern said the ice was better last night?? Wow how horrible was it Friday because I thought it was embarrassing to the league how terrible it was last night. Just skating down the ice with the puck and it would jump over your stick, they may as well play with a tennis ball for game 5 if they don't do something about the ice.
I laughed at JD "One" Watt(the guy's not very bright) as well last night when he was lieing on the ice in "pain" and then right out for the pp. But I laughed more when he took his penalty at the end of the game to negate a good chance to tie it up.
The loss of Wilson and now Dudas will be huge, but we have the depth to still win and I'm hoping Rogers will get to see some ice time instead of putting Felde back to "D", but just my opinion on that. I never saw the hit on Dudas , all I can say is that it must have been very late because I was following the play and it was well up the ice. I had Dudas picked as a star in for last nights game in my opinion.
I thought the game was officiated fairly good, some non calls both ways and some iffy calls both ways, my only wish, ( because it would benefit us) is that they would call the interference calls a bit tighter. Regina runs a lot of interference.

dubfan
03-23-2008, 11:37 AM
The Bronco young line (Dowling, Eakin, Wudrick - DEW Line)lead the way last night, not just the goals, but the energy, penalty kill and solid play. The line started each period and set the table example first shift of the game win draw to d pass to right wing chip pass regina and yes beat the d to the puck, not let Regina go in first. The line played important minutes and Eakin and Wudrick kill important PK's.

Hope Willy and Dudas will be fine but that is not likely. The hit on Dudas was from behind with a cross check, dirty/cheap and as a result of Eberle being pissed because he was caught on the partial break away.

Should be a good long series.

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
03-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Great game last night, had a chance to check it out as well and thought the trip was well worth it.

Shout out to Travis Yonkman, picking up his first WHL playoff victory, shaking a monkey off his back that haunted Kyle Moir for years. Let's hope it's his first of many wins.

Our seats were right behind the Pats net for most of the game, giving us a great vantage on all the Broncos goals. None of them were really pretty last night, but a goal is a goal nonetheless.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, Watt may be one of the biggest liabilities on the Regina Pats squad. Officials seem to be getting wise to his theatrics, and he has a bad habit of taking stupid penalties at the worst times of the game.

By the way Flathead, I and a couple other friends also got a chuckle at his embellished knee injury during the game. Nice acting, you'd think it was broken or something, then back out for the power play. :laugh:

Home ice advantage is ours now, let's take advantage of it.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Alot of people are quick to point out Watt's mistakes, yet they dont acknowledge how well he has played in general. I would actually say he has been our best forward on the rush, and outside of a few dumb penalties, he is one of the smartest players on the ice. Seems to always to a step ahead of alot of the players on the ice when he has got the puck, showing some creativity. He has really taken his game to another level, if you actually watch him.

For a guy who apparently doesnt show up for playoffs, he has been a factor for us in a good way as well, moreso than a bad way....but I guess there isnt any point of praising a player you dont like, is there?

EDIT: Wow... I have 1000 posts already... Im officially a huge nerd.

Toswammi
03-23-2008, 02:32 PM
EDIT: Wow... I have 1000 posts already... Im officially a huge nerd.

Meh i got more :laugh:

Scout
03-23-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm almost at 3,000 posts, so what does that make me? A super nerd i guess or someone with no life.

Scout

ointhecreek
03-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm almost at 3,000 posts, so what does that make me? A super nerd i guess or someone with no life.

Scout
And around for a long time.. as in OLD! haha

Scout
03-23-2008, 03:54 PM
I gotta put on my glasses to see who took a viscious reply at me. lol.

Scout

CHtoo
03-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Been around since Scout was little and I have less than 300 posts.

I guess I'm just the silent good looking type.
:D

Toswammi
03-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Back to hockey lol

Game 3 should be a doozy. With our guys with out two solid defensemen, and likely Felde moving to the point (which i know most of us don't want to see happen) coupled with possibly a few Pats forwards not in the line up it should be interesting.
I am expecting a loud crowd, a chippy game, and dare i say it, a questionable hit

CJSenterprise4
03-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I am expecting a loud crowd, a chippy game, and dare i say it, a questionable hit

Don't know if anyone noticed the attendance but they were not even close to selling out Game 2 and Game 1 was 300 short of a sell out also. I think they announced just over 5,200 for saturday night which is sad. I hope and have no doubts that Swift will sell out both games which is awesome. It's too bad half the Pats fans are 60 years old and all they do is yell wrong player names and tell you not to make any noise around them. ( I had a horn for the last game and the guy beside me told me not to blow it right by him..too bad for him the Pats scored haha..although not enough) Also my candidate for the next questionable hit is Kennedy. He usually is the player for it and i would not be suprised if it happens next game.

Toswammi
03-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Don't know if anyone noticed the attendance but they were not even close to selling out Game 2 and Game 1 was 300 short of a sell out also. I think they announced just over 5,200 for saturday night which is sad. I hope and have no doubts that Swift will sell out both games which is awesome. It's too bad half the Pats fans are 60 years old and all they do is yell wrong player names and tell you not to make any noise around them. ( I had a horn for the last game and the guy beside me told me not to blow it right by him..too bad for him the Pats scored haha..although not enough) Also my candidate for the next questionable hit is Kennedy. He usually is the player for it and i would not be suprised if it happens next game.

Sell outs in Swift are anything but a guarantee, especially with the games mid week. I do expect a "decent" crowd, especially considering we draw well against Regina (folks in these parts really, really don't like Regina for one reason or another).
Also i here that the long horns aren't allowed in Regina, heck those things are easier to deal with than those "duck" horns that are popping up around the league. In Regina i have seen fans with drums, megaphones, bells, etc. But you can't use those horns, that is terrible.
CJ i hope there aint no dirty hit in the next game, for everyone involved i hope there wont be any more injuries, these are kids that are fighting to make it pro, and no one deserves to be hurt (ok actually most :p)

CJSenterprise4
03-23-2008, 11:09 PM
maybe this should have went in the horn thread but since we were talking about it here... i took one of those big horns in that I picked up a Dollarama in Regina saturday to the game and no one confiscated it from me. Your right they are way better to listen to than those other ones. I think it is only air horns you are not allowed to bring in now. I don't know what the big deal is anyways what am i going to do..stab someone with this horn. It was so flimsy and was a foldable one and i had to be careful holding it trying not to squish the damn thing. Yeah the weekday games are tough but on the Pats end i find it hard that a city with probably 200,000 people now can't fill a 6,100 rink. Thats surrounding area also as it is not even Regina people that go as people from Weyburn here, Yellow Grass and Milestone..since Pyett is from there attend the games it baffles me.

Toswammi
03-23-2008, 11:19 PM
maybe this should have went in the horn thread but since we were talking about it here... i took one of those big horns in that I picked up a Dollarama in Regina saturday to the game and no one confiscated it from me. Your right they are way better to listen to than those other ones. I think it is only air horns you are not allowed to bring in now. I don't know what the big deal is anyways what am i going to do..stab someone with this horn. It was so flimsy and was a foldable one and i had to be careful holding it trying not to squish the damn thing. Yeah the weekday games are tough but on the Pats end i find it hard that a city with probably 200,000 people now can't fill a 6,100 rink. Thats surrounding area also as it is not even Regina people that go as people from Weyburn here, Yellow Grass and Milestone..since Pyett is from there attend the games it baffles me.

I know a few ppl that weren't allowed to bring those horns in the building in Regina.
BTW attendance: Game-5945; Game 2-5272

Also how many Pat fans will make the trip? I know there may be a bus, or has that been canceled?

Flathead
03-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Alot of people are quick to point out Watt's mistakes, yet they dont acknowledge how well he has played in general. I would actually say he has been our best forward on the rush, and outside of a few dumb penalties, he is one of the smartest players on the ice. Seems to always to a step ahead of alot of the players on the ice when he has got the puck, showing some creativity. He has really taken his game to another level, if you actually watch him.

For a guy who apparently doesnt show up for playoffs, he has been a factor for us in a good way as well, moreso than a bad way....but I guess there isnt any point of praising a player you dont like, is there?

More so than a bad way?? He took a penalty late in the game in the offensive zone when you guys were down a goal and had a chance to pull the goalie for a 6 on 5. But if that's factoring in, in a good way I hope he keeps it up.

nivek_wahs
03-24-2008, 08:32 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=739eb4a0-d384-4c17-a2b5-fe267551d1e2

Broncos buck back

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, March 24, 2008

The Swift Current Broncos got pushed around in the opening game of their playoff series against the Regina Pats.

In Game 2, they pushed back.

Swift Current cranked up the physical intensity on Saturday night while setting a pace Regina couldn't maintain en route to a 5-3 come-from-behind victory in front of 5,272 fans at the Brandt Centre.

As a result, the Broncos evened their Eastern Conference quarterfinal matchup at one win apiece -- seizing home-ice advantage in the process. The best-of-seven series is now headed up the road to Swift Current for Game 3 on Tuesday and Game 4 on Wednesday.

"We were caught a little off guard by how they came out (in Game 1) but I think today we were prepared and played a little bit closer to a complete game," offered Broncos captain Zack Smith, whose team dropped a 2-1 decision one night earlier. "You have to dig down; it's the playoffs. You're going to go through bumps and bruises, but every hit pays off. It might not pay off until the last period of Game 7 but like we say, 'Every hit is an investment.' I think we took that to heart and we pushed back."

The Pats were clinging to a 3-2 lead early in the third period when they tempted fate by handing Swift Current a two-man advantage.

Smith made them pay, converting a rebound in front of goalie Linden Rowat. Then, just as the second penalty expired, Pats defenceman Ryan Bender was looking to clear the puck in front of his net when Justin Dowling whacked it right off his stick and past Rowat.

Regina's luck went from bad to worse when Jordan Eberle was assessed a boarding major and game misconduct with 8:22 left. The Pats' leading scorer is facing a possible suspension for the hit, which resulted in defenceman Jesse Dudas sustaining an apparent broken wrist.

Regina killed off nearly three minutes of Eberle's major and appeared to catch a break when the rest was wiped out by a four-minute high-sticking penalty to Geordie Wudrick. However, most of the ensuing power play was nullified by yet another penalty.

Matt Tassone added an empty netter with 11 seconds left to turn the lights out on the Pats, who were outshot 31-26. Dowling scored twice while linemate Cody Eakin was credited with the other goal.

"They set the tone early," offered Pats centre Kirt Hill. "We did some uncharacteristic things in the first period and it came back to bite us in the butt in the third. When you're having to kill penalties like that, I think it just deflated us. After we killed that five minutes (to Eberle) it didn't look like we had much gas to really do anything after that. It really hurt us."

Regina was also hurt by the absence of two top-six forwards: Rudolf Cerveny (illness) and Brett Leffler (suspension). Leffler was penalized for his concussion-inducing hit on Michael Wilson during the first shift of Game 1.

The injuries to Wilson and Dudas leave Swift Current without two of its top defencemen. The Pats, meanwhile, juggled their lines throughout the night and were forced to play with a short bench in the absence of Leffler and Cerveny.

"We looked tired, which surprises me because usually we're a great fitness team," said head coach Curtis Hunt, whose team managed just seven third-period shots on Travis Yonkman. "(The Broncos) have some speed and they'll wear you down. We gave them too much room to play with the puck through the neutral zone. Because of that you end up on your heels."

Ryan DePape, Strueby and Eberle scored for the Pats, who went 2-for-7 on the power play. The Broncos finished 2-for-8 courtesy of their third-period breakthrough. Up to that point, they had gone 0-for-11 in the series.

"The penalty trouble definitely hurt us," said Bender, who helped Regina kill off another two-man disadvantage in the first period. "(The Broncos) have a lot of skill up front. You give them (too many) chances, they're going to bury them."

EXTRAS: Prospect Jordan Weal, 15, made his WHL playoff debut in place of Leffler ... The Broncos inserted rookie RW Mike Brown. Veteran Spencer McAvoy, who can play forward or defence, will see more icetime on the blueline in place of Wilson and Dudas ... Eakin's goal may be changed to Dowling, giving him a hat trick ... Tickets for Friday's Game 5 at the Brandt Centre (7 p.m.) are to go on sale today at 10 a.m. at the Brandt Centre, online at reginapats.com or at Ticketmaster (543-7800).

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

nivek_wahs
03-24-2008, 08:34 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=38922b94-6447-4c03-bc30-0e1545fd89be

Top two defencemen down

Tim Switzer, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, March 24, 2008

If bad news comes in threes, Swift Current Broncos defencemen better be careful.

For the second night in a row Saturday, the Broncos lost one of their top blueliners, 19-year-old Jesse Dudas. He went down with what is believed to be a broken wrist after being launched into the boards by Regina Pats forward Jordan Eberle.

On Friday, Swift Current lost Michael Wilson to a concussion on the first shift of the game.

"Those two guys are our best two power-play guys, they play in all situations and in key minutes so it's a huge, huge loss," Swift Current head coach Dean Chynoweth said following his teams 5-3 win in Game 2 that evened a best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal at a game apiece.

Just past the midway point of the third period in Saturday's contest, Eberle knocked Dudas into the boards in the Swift Current zone and the Broncos rearguard was in immediate pain. After cringing on the ice for a moment holding his left arm, he skated straight for the bench and made a bee line to the dressing room.

"We know the injuries come hard," said Broncos defenceman Eric Doyle. "He went awkwardly into the boards and that happens -- it's the game of hockey. He's a big part of our team and a big loss, but that just means that guys will have to step up. Guys that haven't been playing as much will have to come in."

Plus the Broncos have a little experience playing short-handed -- and not just on the penalty kill.

From Jan. 22 to Feb. 10, the Broncos won 10 consecutive games despite being without Dudas and/or Wilson in three of those contests.

"We know what to do," said defenceman Bretton Stamler. "That's a really, really good feeling in the room. A lot of teams, if they were in this situation, might not know what to do, but for us, we've had guys step up in the past and guys capable of stepping up again."

The Broncos will likely insert 16-year-old Joel Rogers, who appeared in 48 regular-season games as a rookie, into the lineup for Game 3 on Tuesday in Swift Current. Spencer McAvoy, who can play forward or defence, may also help fill the void.

"We're going to have to have guys step up in a greater role," said Chynoweth. "That's the playoffs. You're going to be tested and it's no different for other teams -- they'll go through it -- and we'll see what we're made of."

Those left that will need to step up include 20-year-old Stamler and 18-year-olds Doyle and Derek Claffey.

"Claffey played a heck of a game (Saturday)," said Stamler. "We were saying in the room that he looked like (NHL veteran) Kenny Daneyko out there. With the poise he had, he looked like he'd been in the league for 20 years. Dudas is a great hockey player and he's going to go on to be a great professional player, but we have a lot of depth in our room and we're going to be able to replace him and continue to move on and be successful."

The loss of Wilson and Dudas also brings into play the issues of ice time and conditioning as the d-men left standing will now be logging extra minutes for the remainder of the series.

"We have no guys in our group that take conditioning lightly," said Stamler. "I came from a team in Edmonton (the expansion Oil Kings) where I played 30 minutes a night and I play better when I'm playing more. For a lot of guys, it's a lot easier to get into a rhythm."

CJSenterprise4
03-24-2008, 08:54 AM
I know a few ppl that weren't allowed to bring those horns in the building in Regina.
BTW attendance: Game-5945; Game 2-5272

Also how many Pat fans will make the trip? I know there may be a bus, or has that been canceled?

I for one can't go as i work and couldn't even make it from Weyburn to Regina in time to catch the bus. Maybe next time leave the Broncos jersey off till you get in the building with the horn?? I don't know but it's ridiculous....should be allowed and guess the people in the Brandt Centre don't like noise.

Bran
03-24-2008, 03:30 PM
I for one can't go as i work and couldn't even make it from Weyburn to Regina in time to catch the bus. Maybe next time leave the Broncos jersey off till you get in the building with the horn?? I don't know but it's ridiculous....should be allowed and guess the people in the Brandt Centre don't like noise.
I HATE those horns, and it isn't the noise. Nothing is more annoying than sitting in front of someone who is constantly whacking you in the head with one of those things. And, yeah, I guess the noice is a factor when someone blows it in your ear. If they can find a way to make them smaller, go for it!

Dogstink
03-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Someone might get their eye poked out with one of those horns. The Brandt Centre probably doesn't want a lawsuit on its hands. LOL

Bran
03-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Someone might get their eye poked out with one of those horns. The Brandt Centre probably doesn't want a lawsuit on its hands. LOL
Heh. My friend got me in the arm with one of those things once (not on purpose!) and it left a cut. The plastic had a sharp edge.

nivek_wahs
03-25-2008, 06:55 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=1564130b-283c-4d52-b710-5c0381bbe9b1

Youth prevails for Broncos

Tim Switzer, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, March 25, 2008

You just never know who is gong to come through for the Swift Current Broncos.

On Saturday at the Brandt Centre, it was the youngsters' time to shine as Cody Eakin, Justin Dowling and Geordie Wudrick contributed six points as the Broncos beat the Regina Pats 5-3 to even their best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal at one.

"I haven't been able to (contribute offensively) so it was nice to be able to," said Dowling, who registered a hat trick in the Game 2 victory. "My linemates helped me out a lot. We were moving the puck fairly well so the Kid Line is back I guess."

Eakin assisted on Dowling's two first-period goals while Wudrick was in on the first.

The Broncos boasted one of the most-balanced offences in the Western Hockey League during the 2007-08 regular season and had several players capable of lighting the lamp at any time.

Few though probably would have expected that out of Eakin, Dowling and Wudrick in the playoffs. Wudrick was the most-effective of the three during the regular season with 20 goals and 44 points followed by Dowling with seven goals and 27 points. Eakin had 11 goals and six assists in 55 games.

"I can't say enough about them," said Broncos head coach Dean Chynoweth. "Eakin is sort of the straw that stirs the drink and the other guys bring some tremendous elements. Justin, we've been waiting on. We saw flashes throughout the season.

"(Eakin and Dowling) play like it's just another game so I would like to think that's experience and their competitive nature. Geordie has probably played his best hockey being the physical presence on that line."

It may have been understandable if the group wasn't able to accomplish much in the postseason.

Wudrick was the only member of the line with significant playoff experience. He played the entire six-game first-round series with the Pats last season and four games in the 2006 playoffs.

Dowling, meanwhile had only seen action in one playoff game (last season versus the Pats) before Friday's Game 1, while Eakin had yet to make an appearance on the postseason roster.

"We're kind of well-adjusted," said Eakin, a Winnipeg product who was the Broncos' first pick (sixth overall) in the 2005 bantam draft. "We're a strong skating line and hard-working. For (the Pats), they have to catch us before they can hit us. We can avoid those hits, chips pucks and get on their D-men so that helps us. The first couple of shifts (in Game 1 on Friday) there was a bit of an adjustment but I think we're ready to go."

The group does, after all, have the luxury of being the third line and is able to fly somewhat under the radar with forwards like Zack Smith, Levi Nelson, Erik Felde and Dale Weise playing ahead of them.

"They're focusing a lot on those first two lines, but all four lines on our team are ready to go and are capable of putting pucks in the net," said Eakin. "Them matching some of our top lines, gives us a chance to shine and create some offence."

Which of course means that the scoring is spread around that much more.

"It can be anyone in the playoffs," said Dowling. "Everyone steps up and becomes part of the team more or less. It just happened to be me (Saturday) and tomorrow it can be someone new."