PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Even Series At 1

Scout
03-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Broncos even series 1-1 with 5-3 road win
SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

Youth was served for the Swift Current Broncos on Saturday night as they defeated the Regina Pats 5-3 on 17-year-old Justin Dowling’s game winner, his second goal of the game.

The Broncos trailed 3-2 heading into the third period and faced a 2-0 series deficit until captain Zack Smith equalized with a powerplay goal on a lengthy five-on-three man-advantage.

Dowling put the Broncos in front 1:01 later when he stole a puck from Ryan Bender and whacked it past a surprised Linden Rowat who seemed to be expecting the puck to head up ice.

Matt Tassone added an empty-net goal to seal the win for the Broncos to tie the best-of-seven series at one game each.

Dowling scored his first playoff goal in the first period to give the Broncos a short-lived 2-1 lead. The rookie forward was thrilled to contribute on the scoresheet.

“It was good, I haven’t been able to the last little while here. It was really nice, my linemates were helping me out a lot today. We were really moving the puck well so the kid line is back I guess. I give credit to them (the Pats) they played well and it came down to the wire.”

The Pats opened the scoring with their third powerplay goal of the series when Ryan DePape deflected a J.D. Watt slapshot past a screened Travis Yonkman for his fifth career playoff goal.

16-year-old Broncos forward Cody Eakin scored his first career WHL playoff goal when he tied the game 1-1 11:39 into the contest.

The Broncos took the lead 2-1 when Dowling beat Rowat with a backhand shot while driving towards the right post.

Matt Strueby sent the two teams to the dressing room tied 2-2 when he swept a rebound into the net with 1:31 remaining in the opening frame.

Pats’ sniper Jordan Eberle scored the only goal of the middle frame when he neatly collected a cross-ice pass that ended up behind the goal line and tucked it into the net on the powerplay.

Travis Yonkman was solid once again in his first playoff victory with 23 saves on 26 shots.

Rowat stopped 26 of 30 shots to fall to 1-1 in the playoffs and 5-5-2-0 in his playoff career.

Dowling explained that his team responded after a poor outing in game one.

“I think that we got the jitters out of us from last game. We kind of took everything that we learned last game and applied it to today. We just went out there and used our speed and created opportunities.”

Dowling was called up by the Broncos last season after his AAA Midget season and dressed in one playoff game against the Pats.

“Yeah it gave me a bit of an advantage knowing what the speed was like and how much more physical and how much more intense it gets in the playoffs,” said Dowling. “Everyone’s determination increases during the playoffs so I think that it was good coming up last year because I knew what to expect.”

The win did however come at a cost as the Broncos lost defenseman Jesse Dudas with 8:22 remaining in the game on a questionably hit from Pats 42-goal scorer Jordan Eberle for which Eberle received a five-minute boarding penalty and a game misconduct. The Broncos blueline was already playing shortanded after Michael Wilson was injured by a Brett Lefler hit only 18 seconds into game one. Leffler missed the game with a suspension that has yet to be determined. Both Dudas and Eberle appeared injured on the hit that occurred away from the play, but Dudas favored his arm and disappeared down the runway with the trainer and team doctor soon to follow him into the dressing room.

Chynoweth explained that the Broncos blueline may feature 16-year-old Joel Rogers for game three in Swift Current.

“That’s an obvious answer, it changes it drastically. You put a 16-year-old in the line-up. Obviously those two guys are our best two powerplay guys, they play in all situations and key situations and it is a huge loss. I didn’t see the hit so I couldn’t even comment on it.”

One night after he criticized his team for having too many passengers Chynoweth thought game two was a different story.

“I thought we were much better right from the start of the game. Obviously coming off a loss like we did last night we needed a few different guys to rebound and I thought for the most part they did and again we got a solid performance from Yonkman.”

The Pats have now scored four of their five goals on the powerplay. Chynoweth and the Broncos will need to find an answer to the Pats’ powerplay success heading into game three.

“They were real good again tonight with their puck movement. We have tried to make some adjustments when you get guys like Krause, Pyett and Eberle, they are talented guys. The message to our group is less penalties. I just don’t think we can continue to take the number of penalties we are taking against them.”

Chynoweth also singled out the play of Dowling, Eakin and Geordie Wudrick.

“They have been excellent, I can’t say enough about them. I have always said that Eakin is the straw that stirs the drink there. The other guys bring some tremendous elements. Justin we have kind of been waiting on, he has shown flashes throughout the season.”

Game three goes Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at the Credit Union iplex.