PDA

View Full Version : Press Confrence @ 12:30 TODAY

Hockey101
03-24-2008, 08:33 AM
What does this bring new coach???

Tinner
03-24-2008, 08:59 AM
I don't think that it is a new coach, may be a new head scout or director of hockey operations.

Just checked some sources and they beleive Sutter (Bryan) is resigning.

Hockey101
03-24-2008, 01:16 PM
Brian Sutter Resigns, Jesse Wallin Named Head Coach
The Red Deer Rebels announced Monday in a press conference that Brian Sutter has resigned from his head coach position. At the same time the team announced that former Rebels defenceman and current member of the coaching staff, Jesse Wallin will assume the Head Coach position while Dallas Gaume will remain with the team as a member of the coaching staff.

Brian Sutter took over as the Rebels Head Coach prior to the 2007-08 season when Rebels owner/president, Brent Sutter accepted a Head Coach position with the New Jersey Devils of the NHL.

Brian Sutter (pictured left) played in 779 NHL games, accumulating 303 goals, 333 assists and a total of 1786 Penalty minutes. After a 12 year playing career with the St.Louis Blues he went on to coach 13 seasons in the NHL with St.Louis, Boston, Calgary and Chicago.

The 2007-08 season behind the Rebels bench was Brian's first season coaching in the WHL. The Rebels played to an 18-47-4-3 record and finished last in the Eastern Conference with just 43 points. The team's overall record was second last in the WHL, ahead of only the Portland Winterhawks.

Jesse Wallin (pictured left) will take over behind the bench as the Rebels Head Coach going into the 2008-09 season. Wallin, a former Rebels defenceman played 4 seasons with the Rebels and was selected by the Detroit Red Wings in the first round, 26th overall in the 1996 NHL Entry Draft. Wallin was a member of the 2001- 02 Red Wings who went on to win the Stanley Cup that season.

Wallin served as the teams associate coach during the 2007-08 season.

RebelsFan
03-24-2008, 03:26 PM
No surprise there. I think everyone knew that the reigns would be handed over to Jesse after one year. He is a fine young man and I wish him nothing but success next year. I don't imagine Brian will be too far away to help Jesse.

RDRebelsfan
03-24-2008, 03:37 PM
If Brian's heart is still in it, I bet he comes back to coach the Bentley Generals next season. He gets to coach a team who has been a contending team now for the last 5 years, plus he'll still get plenty of time to do his farming.

3rebels
03-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Hopefully Brian enjoyed his season with the Rebels. Looking forward to see what Jesse brings to the table !!.
Thanks Brain :clap:

Hockey101
03-25-2008, 08:15 AM
The Canadian Press

3/24/2008 4:20:37 PM

RED DEER, Alta. - Brian Sutter is stepping down as head coach of the Red Deer Rebels.

The Western Hockey League team announced the resignation Monday, with former player and associate coach Jesse Wallin to take over on the bench.

''This past week Brian and I had discussions about his personal commitments and the amount of time that needs to be put into the head coaching position for this upcoming season and for the future,'' team owner and president Brent Sutter said in a release. ''At the conclusion of those discussions, it was mutually agreed upon that he would resign as head coach for the proper direction of the hockey club.''

Brian Sutter took over as head coach before the start of the season when Brent - his brother - accepted a head coaching position with the NHL's New Jersey Devils.

Wallin also served as an assistant coach for two seasons under Brent Sutter. Wallin, who played for the Rebels from 1994-98, becomes the seventh head coach in team history.

Brent Sutter said he and his brother felt Wallin was the right man to take over.

''I'm very excited for Jesse to take over as head coach and continue moving forward in the direction that this hockey club needs to go in,'' Sutter said.

Dallas Gaume will remain as assistant coach and Andy Nowicki will remain as goaltending coach.

''I'm extremely excited and honoured for the opportunity to become head coach of this proud franchise,'' Wallin said. ''I'm looking forward to the upcoming challenge of getting this hockey team back to being an elite club in the Western Hockey League.''

The Rebels missed the playoffs after finishing last in the Eastern Conference with a record of 18-47-4-3, good for just 43 points.

''Dallas has been with the organization since the 2000-01 season and Andy has been a part of the organization at different times throughout the franchise's history,'' Brent Sutter said. ''The knowledge that all of these men have, and how things are done here both on and off the ice, gives me great confidence and trust that moving forward through this transition period that we're in we will become once again a very competitive team in the Western Hockey League.''

SectionNDeserter
03-25-2008, 06:54 PM
...for him to take the reigns. Their major rebuilding season is over, some big, strong (and what should be improved) young players are returning next season, there is a first overall draft pick to look forward to in a season or two, and what should be an exceptional Import draft player to work with next season. With the exception of maybe Reimer, none of our potential returning overage players are impact players, whose return will make or break the team.