PDA

View Full Version : Game 3...

nivek_wahs
03-25-2008, 06:57 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=b5c10c8d-ce77-4e41-a5ea-3e1575d08e8f

Road woes a part of the Pats' past

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, March 25, 2008

There was a time when the Regina Pats were welcome guests in arenas across the WHL, but those red-carpet days are over.

One of the biggest improvements in Regina's game this season has been its ability to win games on the road. The trend actually began in the first round of last year's playoffs, when Regina won all three games in the Swift Current Broncos' home rink -- the building formerly known as the Centennial Civic Centre (now Credit Union iplex).

The Pats will be looking to continue that momentum tonight and Wednesday when they visit the Broncos for Games 3 and 4 of their best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal. The series is tied 1-1.

"It's a little bit different mentality going into an opponent's rink," offered Pats captain Logan Pyett. "We're going to have to maybe switch gears a little bit. I think that's what we did last year. We maybe had a little bit more urgency knowing it was going to be that much tougher to win on the road. We were successful so we're going to try to do the same thing this year. Unfortunately a couple guys who were key in last year's series -- (Brett) Leffler and (Jordan) Eberle -- are out for the next game (due to suspensions). Guys are going to have to step up and fill those holes. I'm sure we'll be fine."

Home-ice advantage was tossed out the window during last year's series, which Regina won in six games. Swift Current earned a split in the first two outings at the Brandt Centre, followed by a two-game sweep by the invading Pats in Games 3 and 4. The Broncos extended the series with another victory at the Brandt Centre but Regina prevailed back in Swift Current with a dramatic overtime victory in Game 6.

It seems unlikely that this year's matchup would play out the same way, especially since both lineups have changed dramatically since then. However, the first leg of the series has been almost a mirror image: Regina set the tone in Game 1 and the Broncos responded with a big effort in Game 2 to earn a split.

"So far that's exactly what happened last year," Pats centre Kirt Hill noted after his team's 5-3 loss on Saturday. "Last year we really focused on going in and playing well on the road. We have to see what we did wrong out there (in Game 2). That's going to be a key going onto the road."

The Broncos have been a tough nut to crack on home ice this season, going 22-9-1-4. Regina, meanwhile, posted its first winning road record in six years (18-14-3-1).

In the process, the Pats have won games in some of the WHL's toughest buildings this season, including Calgary, Moose Jaw, Medicine Hat and, of course, Swift Current. Regina went 1-1-1 at the iplex during the regular season.

"All those things factor in," said Pats head coach Curtis Hunt, noting that his team will go into tonight's contest with "positive memories" from past success in Swift Current. "But I think the biggest factor is how we're playing now. We had a bad (third period) in Game 2. We talked about accountability and making sure we stay the course. We got away from the plan. The guys understand that. They also know we're here for the long haul. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. We'll regroup. We had a great day on the ice (Monday) and we're ready to go."

The Pats insist Saturday's loss changes nothing in terms of their mindset or approach. If anything, they'll simplify their game even more heading into enemy territory.

"I think we just have to chip pucks, get in on the body, play physical and get on their D-men because they're going to be short down there (with injuries to Michael Wilson and Jesse Dudas)," said defenceman Colten Teubert. "It's a best-of-seven series. I guess you want to win four in a row but you never expect to. The other team wants to win just as bad as you. It's going to be a good battle. We have to go into their barn and take their crowd out of it right away and get a win."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

nivek_wahs
03-25-2008, 09:32 AM
www.rodpedersen.com

The Regina Pats were understandably wild at the news top scorer Jordan Eberle's been suspended one game by the WHL for his hit on Swift Current's Jesse Dudas in Game 2 of this first round series, and power forward Brett Leffler's been suspended for three games for a hit on the Broncos' Michael Wilson in Game 1. After seeing his own star players be concussed and have bones broken (Matt Hubbauer, Rhett Gordon, Derek Morris, etc.) in playoff years past without discipline to the perpetrators, Regina GM Brent Parker assembled a team for the 2008 playoffs that would do the pushing around, not the other way around. Somewhere in between, the rules changed and the Pats find themselves being pushed around again.

Regina's junior team practiced in Regina's Staples Arena Monday afternoon, and the key figures in the deal spoke to reporters afterwards.

"There's nothing you can really do," said Eberle, "It's over and we're just gonna move in. I haven't really looked at the hit at all, but I was just trying to finish my check. I thought it was a clean hit but I guess the League thought otherwise. Like I said, there's nothing you can do."

The Pats' line combinations were a mishmash for Game 2 with Leffler out of the lineup, and speedy forward Rudolph Cerveny out with the flu. The same will hold true for tonight's Game 3 in Swift Current.

"Well it's a little frustating," said coach Curtis Hunt, "You want to get moving forward, but you can't control that. The truth is, we feel we made moves at the deadline to improve our depth and now those players have the chance to get some more ice-time. As far as our gameplan goes, it doesn't change."

From the Broncos' perspective, they're missing two of their top defencemen in Wilson and Dudas and likely feel the League's ruling fits the crime. The silver lining for the Pats is that they'll have Eberle back for Game 4, while Swift Current will still likely be missing those players.

They say Game 3 is always the critical one in a seven-game series. That showdown will be played tonight in the Credit Union I-Plex at 7:30 on 620 CKRM.

nivek_wahs
03-25-2008, 09:48 AM
http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/default.aspx

Suspensions finalized/Doerksen comments

The campaigning is over. The verdict is in.
The WHL has suspended Brett Leffler for three games and Jordan Eberle for one.
The news came as a bit of a surprise considering Leffler was expected to get fewer games for his hit on Michael Wilson and there was a definite feeling Eberle might get more for his check on Jesse Dudas. Wilson (concussion) and Dudas (broken wrist) are both injured.
Just guessing here, but the conspiracy theorists will probably claim Leffler is paying the price for some sort of vendetta the WHL office has against the Pats while others will say Eberle is getting superstar treatment.
Regardless of your feeling on the decision — there are passionate views on both sides — the bottom line is that it's unfortunate that the Pats and Broncos will both be without key players during this series. It's especially unfortunate that two players were hurt.
In a perfect world, the teams would be able to go at each other with healthy lineups, but that's not going to happen now.
It has also been interesting to hear some of the over-dramatization and impassioned pleas for justice against "those dirty Pats" from fans and other intermediaries. Some of them really tug at the heart strings.
You’d almost think Todd Bertuzzi, Marty McSorley and Chris Simon were wearing Pats’ colours. What a thug, that Jordan Eberle is. Throw him out of the league!
Guess what? Hockey is a physical game. While it's unfortunate Dudas and Wilson were injured, they were hurt on hockey plays — illegal ones, yes, but hockey plays nonetheless. Nobody swung his stick like a baseball bat or jumped on someone’s back and pounded him into the ice.
It's fine to disagree with the WHL's verdict, but it's another matter to turn this situation into something it's not. Perhaps there's an argument to be made about the lack of respect among players in today's game, but that's a topic for another day. For now, Leffler and Eberle broke the rules, as interpreted by the league, and they were punished. End of story.
If you're so offended by what you saw, go watch figure skating.
Don't take any of this as a slight against the Broncos. If I was Dean Chnyoweth, I'd have pursued discipline against the Pats too. After losing two key defencemen, the Broncos are doing what they can to give their team an edge. And they're doing it within the rules.
You might not like that approach — or the rules, for that matter — but it's also part of the game.
Onwards . . .
By the way, Pats GM Brent Parker had some, uh, interesting thoughts on the verdict (see Tuesday's Leader-Post for more), including the fact that the WHL denied Regina's request for supplemental discipline on Broncos captain Zack Smith for a knee on J.D. Watt.
As an interesting side note, Parker has been denied in every request he has made for supplemental discipline — at least 10 times, he estimates — in 13 years as GM. That's 500 bucks a pop. You do the math.
— — —
WHL vice-president Richard Doerksen didn't like the "wheels of justice turn very, very slowly" comment on a previous post, but the league's disciplinarian — apparently an avid Slap Shots reader — was still kind enough to shed some light on Monday's verdict.
On the perceived delay in making a decision:
"We’re trying to make the right decisions on these things," he said. "We know what’s at stake for both teams and sometimes if you make judgment too quickly maybe it’s not as strong a decision as if you had given it complete and thorough thought and review."
On Brett Leffler's hit:
"We finally got the best footage this morning. With Easter weekend it didn’t help with that situation. We got the best footage this morning and it clearly showed us that it should have been a major and a game misconduct for either charging or boarding. The player received a concussion. I think we’ve been very clear with all of our clubs and players all season that we were trying to reduce and hopefully eliminate blows to the head. This was clearly a blow to the head that caused a concussion."
On Jordan Eberle's suspension:
"In viewing the clip of the incident, the hit was definitely from the side, it was not a check from behind as some people are alleging, and yet it caused a serious injury to the opponent. It needed some form of discipline although we took into account Eberle’s character and sportsmanlike play. We don’t think he’s that type of a player that was trying to hurt Dudas and yet Dudas did end up with a serious injury as a result."
On Eberle's hit:
"It was a hit from the side but it was exactly why there is a penalty for boarding. The hit from the side propelled the player where he was going head or shoulder first into the boards and he did get his hands up to protect himself. However, in doing that, he broke his wrist."
On the definition of boarding:
"Boarding is not a check from behind but (when) a player is hit where he goes dangerously into the boards. Our interpretation on that is primarily where he’s going in head or shoulder first. I think from the clip of the incident that was very clear on this. There are a lot of hits where you’re hit legally but that hit propels you, whether it’s momentum or whatever, it kind of turns you after the hit and you kind of go in head or shoulder first. That comes under boarding. It’s an illegal play and obviously you can get a minor or a major and game misconduct. If a player is injured as a result of a minor penalty it automatically becomes a major and a game misconduct."

Thanks to Mr. Doerksen for providing some insight into the decision and clarifying the interpretation of the rules.
Whether you like the decision or not, it's hard to deny that no one in the WHL has a more thankless job.

ointhecreek
03-25-2008, 10:00 AM
So where in that statement does Parker get "I think you're allowed to hit, but unfortunately we have a guy who's getting suspended for what we were told was a clean hit."? Open mouth crap comes out.

minirep
03-25-2008, 03:09 PM
If I was the Pats I would be worried that our big guns have not started scoring yet and it has been our young line doing all the damage. Watch out here they come in game three. lol applause

Bran
03-25-2008, 03:51 PM
If I was the Pats I would be worried that our big guns have not started scoring yet and it has been our young line doing all the damage. Watch out here they come in game three. lol applause
I think I'd be more concerned about that as a Bronco fan than as a Pats fan.

CJSenterprise4
03-25-2008, 06:28 PM
I think Swift will win by 2 or 3 goals. Hopefully not but that's my prediction. Usually when i put someone down they show me up and prove me wrong so hope for the worst and see what happens. I think the big game will be tomorrow night.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Good to see Jackson is finally playing in a game....

EDIT: Pederson's radio feed is a good few seconds ahead of Keen's. (listening to a bit of both), and both get excited for very different things. One guy is talking lax, and then the same moment, the other guy is going nuts. Its kind of interesting.

Fight Guy
03-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Watt For The Win In Ot!!!

luv_the_pats
03-25-2008, 10:35 PM
yeehoo I LOVE JD WATT yeehoo
Way to come out a play hard Pats :thumb:

VDubin'Patsfan
03-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!! applause applause yeehoo

patsdude114
03-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Sounds like the right guys stepped up and brought their game tonight in the absence of Eberle and Leffler....... Doucet, Hill, Watt and Kraus all scored and showed leadership. Bender took a few checks from behind (which was the call in OT) watched the game on webcast, feed isnt the greatest but better then nothing.

Hard for me to really give my view point from this game as i was not in SC to watch, but I think the game was just abit to wide open for the Pats likeing i dont really like paying much attention to the shot clock, but when the shots are 46-43 in favour of the Pats i am thinking not the way the Pats wanted that to be. Yes we outshot them (which lead to out scoring them) but for a road game you want to be tighter on the backend and give up way less chances.

Rowat and Yonkman again were the story of this game, both making big key saves during the game. Rowat shut the door during the 1st 10 mins when the Bronco's just kept coming and coming. Eventually got the PP goal give them the 1-0 lead.

JD Watt has been our best forward in this series by far, he brings it every shift, as much as he is hated by the opposition most teams would love to have him on their team. Yes 1 of the biggest knocks on him was taking bad penalties during his career, but really since he has been here he hasnt really hurt us. He competes every shift and you dont mind killing penalties for hard work. He doesnt take those lazy penalties, yes at times he gets his elbow's up but really who doesnt at this age level. The Pats werent the only team after Watt's services at trade deadline and there is a reason for that. He is 1 of those love hate guys, love him if he is on your team, but hate him if your playing against him. Kinda like how Levi Nelson is on the Bronco's.....

Hopefully Game 4 getting Eberle back will just help boost this team and carry their play from Game 3 into Game 4. If Rowat brings his game tomorrow night (wednesday) the Pats should be fine and will have a great chance to win and get a strangle hold on this series at 3-1. Dont take anything away from Yonkman him and Rowat are having exceptional series both showing that goaltending is huge.

GO PATS GO!!!!!!

Golks
03-25-2008, 11:18 PM
What can I say. Very happy that the Pats won of course.

And how about that Watt. :)

Bran
03-25-2008, 11:23 PM
That JD Watt sure sucks...I knew the Pats couldn't win without Eberle...oh, wait...

Good job boys!

Toswammi
03-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Credit to the Pats, they played a good game tonight, and won the special teams.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Very good game to listen to tonight! Was exciting the whole way, right up to and including the ending.

I had a feeling Watt was going to be the guy to put us through, I agree that he has been our best forward so far. As much as we like Eberle on the top line, Mac - Kraus - Watt sounds good to me too, though I heard Depape and Weal had their turns on that top line too. Of course, Eberle will be a welcomed addition to our lineup tommorrow, yet I feel it will be a tougher game than tonight, as these guys dont like to lose.

I would like to see more from Pyett, as he is a huge part of the success of this team. 20 goals werent a fluke, and I hope he proved that this playoff season, as it is probably his last as a pat. Same goes for Delahey, would like to see more. Even still, Im happy to see this team has showed up for the palyoffs.

I heard Kulchar left with a bad rib injury, though, as rod so eloquently put, I dont see the pats getting a bronco suspended for that hit, unless they "roll around and cry like some teams do".

patsfan33
03-26-2008, 01:27 AM
please please please please please please please please please come out playing with EVERYTHING we've bloody well got tomorrow night...from beginning to the very end....yes we're up a game, and damn does it feel nice yeehoo ...but i'll say it again...we're up a game, not 2, not 3.....1

GO PATS GO

patsdude114
03-26-2008, 03:22 AM
You know as much as we'd all like to see Pyett put up the goals he has been playing very well though. When a defencemen is invisible out on the ice, it just shows he isnt making mistakes, but yet he isnt taking his offensive chances either. (which can be a down fall but its ok) Pyett is still very effective out there, he has 3 assists and is a -2, but he and Bender are shutting down the Broncos as well so it is ok in my mind. It is very hard for Pyett to really jump into the play with the speed of the Broncos on their transition game. No need to risk him getting caught up ice and creating a 3-1 the other way i would say 9 times outta 10 the Broncos would score with their skill level.

Speical teams have been so key in the playoffs now a days which really is sad. Seems like each team is granted 7 PPs each game. It really sucks to see the playoffs being decided with the man advantage.

Here is how this series has been for goals scored

Pats- 6/23 on the PP (scored 2 PP goals each game)
3 Even strength goals
9 total goals
107 total shots

Broncos- 3/21 on the PP
6 Even strength goals
9 total goals (with 1 being a empty netter)
94 total shots

PP chances have been pretty much even, Broncos have edge with 5 on 5 goals. This series is so close on paper each game could of gone any way. Very easily this series could be 3-0 for either the Pats or Broncos.

If anything having Eberle and Leffler sitting out for min of 1 game could help us when this series gets to game 6 and/or 7. Especially with Leffler Leffler is resting and bumps and/or bruises from game 1 and will be a huge energy boost when he returns to the line up. Unfortunately for the Broncos the players they are missing wont be back in this series, and the physical side of the game could really effect them later on in this series.

(sorry Bronco fans i got my Pats goggles on at the moment lol instead of seeing things from both sides)

If Leffler can come back into the line up in Game 5 and not miss a beat from Game 1 he should be able to be a force out there after resting for 3 games. The Pats defence have been taking some big hits these last 2 games, especially Bender. Our defence are alot more rugged then the Broncos defence are. Pyett has yet to take a big hit in this series he is so good at using body position to get to the puck without taking a huge hit. But also Pyett doesnt dish out the big hits either, he rubs a guy out which gives him more energy later in the game and series. Big hits wear both teams out, both the guy receiving the hit and the giver.

Sorry about the rambling on lol it is 320am just not tired tonight. Look forward to listening to the Pats game while at the warriors game tomorrow night lmao

nivek_wahs
03-26-2008, 06:59 AM
www.rodpedersen.com

REGINA 4 SWIFT CURRENT 3 OT
(Pats lead series 2-1)

SWIFT CURRENT -- The Pats never admitted it publicly, but they were insulted by Bronco coach and GM Dean Chynoweth's comparison of the two teams in this series in the newspaper this week. He told the Leaderpost that the Pats against the Broncos is like a Clydesdale against a thoroughbred. There's absolutely no way the classy Deano meant any harm by it, but pretty much to a man, the Pats were upset by the comment. As a matter of fact I KNOW Chynoweth meant no harm by what he said, but the Pats were intent to use it as fuel for Game 3.

So when J.D. Watt scored at 7:57 of overtime to give the Pats a 4-3 victory in Game 3, he couldn't wait to meet with reporters outside the Regina dressing room.

"That's the first time I ever saw a Clydesdale beat a thoroughbred in a race," smiled the WHL East Conference's favourite villain. Look for the quote in Greg Harder's story in the L-P on Wednesday.

The goal capped a rollercoaster of a game. The Broncos were up 1-0 after one period on a goal by Eric Doyle. He batted a two-foot high rebound past Linden Rowat. Scott Doucet tied it up on the powerplay in the second, but the Broncos restored their lead with a PPG of their own from David Stieler.

It was 2-1 S.C. after two, but Kirt Hill tied it for Regina early in the third tapping a rebound behind Bronco goalie Travis Yonkman. Not long after that, Tim Kraus put Regina up 3-2 with his second of the series. However less than two minutes later, Keegan Danserau tied it at 3-3 with his first goal of the series. It stayed that way till overtime.

Early in OT, Pats' overage Ryan Bender was ran from behind by the Broncos' Eric Felde. On the ensuing PP, Watt drove down the left wing, cut in around the defence, and deposited a backhand by Yonkman.

Game over. Hysteria hit amongst the Pats' fans in attendance. 4-3 Regina, and they grabbed a 2-1 series lead heading into Game 4 Wednesday night in the Credit Union I-Plex.

"I thought it was a real gutsy effort," said Pats coach Curtis Hunt, "I don't know if we were anxious early or what, but they had 12 shots in the first four minutes but Rosie (goalie Linden Rowat) was ready. Then we settled down and I thought we were very good throughout the game. We found a way to get pucks in, and cycle, and just stay the course. Give the kids full credit for that effort in a tough building. It IS a tough building, but it's a fun building."

The shots ended 46-43 Regina, including 2-2 in OT. Regina went 2/8 on the powerplay, and 6/7 killing penalties.

Molson 3-Stars: 1) Rowat, 2) Dansereau, 3) Watt. Taylor Toyota Hardest Working Pat: Michael MacAngus.

I barely even want to touch on the antics we were subjected to in the arena. The taunting from the crowd to our booth in each intermission is cute and harmless and has become a tradition. However there were further one-on-one jabs at me on my way out of the arena. Injured Pats' forward Josh Elder even reports a physical confrontation with a fan at the game's conclusion. Jordan Eberle verified it.

C'mon you guys. We're just trying to play the games, do our thing, and leave without incident. Hopefully that happens.

As for gameday Wednesday, it'll be a quiet day in "The City That Makes Sense", or whatever they call it. I do have a meeting set up with a Swift Current newspaper reporter who'd like to do an interview for the local paper, which I'm looking forward to. He's a real good guy. Which the large, large majority of the folks here are.

nivek_wahs
03-26-2008, 07:01 AM
http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/slapshots/archive/2008/03/26/pats-watt-ride-away-with-big-win.aspx

Pats, Watt win by a nose
SWIFT CURRENT — The Regina Pats beat the Swift Current Broncos 4-3 on the strength of J.D. Watt’s power-play goal at 7:57 of overtime on Tuesday night. Regina now leads the best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal 2-1, reclaiming home-ice advantage.
Game 4 is Wednesday in Swift Current.
Here’s the basic nuts and bolts:
Eric Doyle, David Stieler and Keegan Dansereau scored for the Broncos, who led 1-0 after the first period and 2-1 after 40 minutes.
Scott Doucet, Kirt Hill, Tim Kraus and Watt scored for the Pats, who outshot Swift Current 46-43.
The Broncos went 1-for-7 on the power play minus their top two power-play blueliners: Michael Wilson (concussion) and Jesse Dudas (broken wrist). They were injured earlier in the series on hits by Jordan Eberle (one-game suspension) and Brett Leffler (three games).
Eberle, Regina’s leading scorer, can play in Game 4. Leffler will complete his sentence in Game 4.
Regina went 2-for-8 on the power play. Watt capitalized after Erik Felde was penalized for boarding on Ryan Bender.
— — —
Watt offered what might have been the quote of the year in the WHL when asked about his team’s victory: “As a farmboy I was kind of shocked," he said. "It’s the first time a Clydesdale ever beat a Thoroughbred in a race.”
Watt was referring to a column by the Leader-Post’s Rob Vanstone in which Broncos head coach/GM Dean Chynoweth referred to the series as a battle between Clydesdales (the bigger, more physical Pats) and Thoroughbreds (the skilled, speedy Broncos).
It was a good analogy and seemed like a totally innocent comment, but the Pats used it as fuel.
As for Watt, he has been at his agitating best in this series — on and (now) off the ice. He’s public enemy No. 1 in Swift Current right now. Back in Regina, he’s probably a god.
Love him or hate him, from a media perspective, the guy is gold. It’s too bad Watt's WHL career is done after this season because he’s one of the best quotes — and personalities — in the league.
In an era when players are discouraged to show any colour, Watt is a true breath of fresh air.
— — —
Here are some other quotes that didn’t see the light of day for Wednesday’s Leader-Post due to time and deadline restrictions.
Watt on the game-winner goal: “I stayed out a little longer on the power play than I probably should have. I just had that feeling. Teubert made a great cross-ice pass to me and I just got one step on the defenceman and shot it backhand and it found the back of the net. It wasn’t a great goal but we’ll take it.”
Watt on the victory: “It feels good to get home-ice advantage back. (That's) the biggest thing for us right now. Game 4 is going to be a really exciting game. We want that win. Our first goal was to get home ice back and now our next goal is to take two in Swift Current.”
Pats head coach Curtis Hunt on his team’s performance: “I thought it was a real gutsy effort. I don’t now if it was anxious or maybe just nervous or whatever it was to start that game but they had (10) shots in the first four minutes. (Rowat) was ready which was outstanding. We settled down and really from about the eight-minute mark of the first period on I thought we were very good and found a way to get it done. Give the kids full marks for that effort in a tough building. It is a tough building but it’s a fun building.”
Hunt on the fatigue factor late in the game: “Our top three lines played a lot tonight. Our young kids got spot duty but did a real good job for us when they got in. I was confident in our fitness and our work ethic throughout the year and this is where it paid dividends.”
Broncos defenceman Bretton Stamler on the setback: “It’s disappointing but we’ll move on. This is only one game. They have to win four and we have to win four. We’ll get over it, pretty quickly. Definitely it could have gone either way. Look at the shots, 46-43. It was dead even.”

nivek_wahs
03-26-2008, 07:03 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=15cdaf07-fdcf-4eec-bd60-6053b774262e

It takes a Watt to light OT lamp

Published: Wednesday, March 26, 2008

SWIFT CURRENT -- No Jordan Eberle? No problem.

J.D. Watt's goal at 7:57 of the first overtime session lifted the Regina Pats to a 4-3 comeback victory over the Swift Current Broncos before 2,659 fans at the Credit Union iplex.

Regina now leads the best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal 2-1, reclaiming home-ice advantage in the process. Game 4 goes tonight in Swift Current.

"As a farmboy I was kind of shocked," quipped Watt, grinning from ear to ear. "It's the first time a Clydesdale ever beat a Thoroughbred in a race."

Both sides were hobbled for this game due to injuries and suspensions. The Broncos were forced to go with a patchwork blueline following injuries to two of their top defencemen: Michael Wilson (concussion) and Jesse Dudas (broken wrist). Eberle, Regina's leading scorer, was suspended one game for the hit on Dudas while Brett Leffler got three for his check on Wilson.

In their absence, the teams staged an entertaining back-and-forth contest that could have gone either way.

"All our older guys talked about it and said we had to step up," said Watt. "We all knew we had to prove ourselves that we can (win) without (Eberle) in the lineup. We had lots of different guys step up, four different goal scorers. It was just a great, great feeling."

The Broncos took home-ice advantage to heart as they applied all the initial pressure, aided by a pair of early power plays. Regina managed to weather the first wave -- but it wouldn't last.

Defenceman Eric Doyle opened the scoring with 3:48 left in the first period when Pats goalie Linden Rowat played hot potato with a shot that he appeared to catch but instead juggled it back into the air, only to watch it land behind him.

The ice tilted decisively in favour of the Pats in the second period, but Swift Current netminder Travis Yonkman was brilliant. He stopped Scott Doucet's short-handed breakaway midway through the frame, then took an open net away from Michael MacAngus two minutes later.

Doucet finally found a crack in Yonkman's armour with 4:08 left in the second period with a blast under the crossbar on the power play. The Broncos nearly got it back 1:41 later when a shot from the point squeaked through Rowat's pads and sat on the line before the net was knocked off as players crashed into the crease.

Just 13 seconds later, David Stieler restored the Broncos' one-goal lead on the man advantage with a bank shot in front of Rowat.

Regina caught a break at 8:36 of the third period when Ryan Bender's point shot trickled between Yonkman's pads, allowing Kirt Hill to skate in behind him and tap it home.

The Pats took their first lead of the game 2:06 later when Tim Kraus outwaited Yonkman and went upstairs for a 3-2 lead. Keegan Dansereau tied it up just 1:54 after that, firing a rebound past Rowat.

Regina had a power-play chance in the final three minutes, but Yonkman made big stops on Doucet and Rudolf Cerveny to send it into overtime.

The Pats looked to be out of gas in overtime when Swift Current's Erik Felde took a boarding penalty that gave the visitors new life. Watt capitalized, taking a pass from Colten Teubert and slipping a backhand shot past Yonkman.

"It wasn't a great goal," added Watt, "but we'll take it."

Regina finished with a 46-43 advantage on the shot clock. The Pats went 2-for-9 on the power play. Swift Current was 1-for-7 without the services of its top power-play blueliners.

"It's disappointing but we'll move on," said Broncos defenceman Bretton Stamler. "It could have gone either way. If we don't take penalties we're going to give ourselves a much better chance to win."

EXTRAS: Eberle is eligible to return tonight from his one-game ban. Leffler has one remaining on his three-game suspension ... Swift Current used Felde, a winger, on defence ... Broncos all-time leading scorer Todd Holt (1989-94) was in attendance.

- Go online to leaderpost.com to read Greg Harder's views on hockey, and the Regina Pats in particular, at the Slap Shots blog.

nivek_wahs
03-26-2008, 07:05 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=e9a916d1-47c7-4a38-9d62-5dc641bc16e0

Weal thrown into mix early

Published: Wednesday, March 26, 2008

SWIFT CURRENT -- You're in kid.

Top prospect Jordan Weal was expecting to be a spectator when he arrived at the Brandt Centre prior to Saturday's game between the Regina Pats and Swift Current Broncos. Weal found out differently when Pats head coach Curtis Hunt informed him that he would be making his WHL playoff debut as a last-minute replacement for suspended forward Brett Leffler.

"I wasn't really expecting to get into that game," said Weal, who played his second career postseason contest on Tuesday in Swift Current. "Warming up before the game, I was just realizing, 'Wow, I'm getting this opportunity to play in the WHL playoffs.' The tempo is so high and everyone is all fired up and the crowd is into it. Your adrenaline is going but once you get that first shift all your nerves go away. You're playing hockey and doing what you love to do."

Weal, a standout in training camp last fall, played three games earlier this season during the Pats' annual West Coast trip. The 15-year-old Vancouver product was called up again last week after his midget team, the Vancouver North West Giants, was eliminated from the playoffs.

Weal only had the benefit of two practices with the Pats before Saturday's game. He also suited up one night earlier for Regina's playoff opener, but that was to participate in a shootout promotion during the first intermission against three other Pats prospects.

Weal won the competition, but that experience did little to prepare him for his trial by fire in Game 2.

"It is tough because when you get to the next level there's a lot more systems,'' he noted. "You have to play your own game and at the same time you have to go by the systems. But the guys are great on the bench if I need help. They'll give me advice and tell me what to do."

Weal comes to the Pats with impressive credentials, having led the B.C. Major Midget league in scoring this season with 39 goals and 100 points in 40 games. He won the scoring title by a whopping 34 points.

Unfortunately for Weal, the season came to an abrupt hault when his team was upset in a league semifinal by the Cariboo Cougars of Prince George. Vancouver had been among the favourites to win this year's Telus Cup national title after finishing second at the prestigious Mac's international tournament in Calgary and posting a 36-2-2 record in league play.

"We had a really good team and I really wanted to try to get to the national championship," said Weal. "It would have been great but that's done and I have to let that go and think about what's happening here with the Pats."

Weal isn't sure what his role will be when Leffler and Jordan Eberle return from their suspensions. Either way, he's eager to do his part.

"Curtis had a talk with me," Weal explained. "He just said, 'Do what you do best, hustle in the corners and make the players around you better and you'll do fine out there.' "

Big things are projected for Weal, who is regarded as one of the steals in the 2007 bantam draft. The fourth-round pick has already been compared to Pats sniper Jordan Eberle, whose size was a contributing factor in him slipping all the way to the seventh round in the 2005 draft.

"He's had a lot of success in this league," Weal said of Eberle. "If I'm going to meet that (standard) I'm going to have to step up my game and maybe get some advice from him to see how he did so well in his previous year."

Although the future is now for Weal, the 5-foot-8, 150-pounder isn't expected to become a regular with the Pats until next season.

In the meantime, he has some work to do.

"It has been a great experience to come up and get used to the speed of the game," he added. "I'm hoping over the summer I can gain 10 or 15 pounds and come back even stronger so I can help the team out even more."

Bran
03-26-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm going to steal a quote from Alan Caldwell...

smallatlarge.blogspot.com

Predictably, Pats G.M. Brent Parker was unhappy about the suspensions and voiced his displeasure about them in a manner which will probably see him contributing some funds to the WHL office's Friday bar tab. Nice spin job by Parker though....it might cost him $500 or $1000 but if he succeeds in setting up the us-vs-the-world mentality amongst his players, it could give them a boost and help them get through these next couple games. You know, fans in other places really like to get on this team for "whining", but I think this guy has a point. If that kind of mentality helps bring a team together and gives them the extra push they need to get through, then more power to him. (Okay, I don't think Brent Parker needs any more power than he has, but still...) I've probably said it a thousand times over the last two seasons, but adversity brings teams together, even if it's imagined. Brent Parker absolutely loves to whine, but he's not a stupid man.

Flathead
03-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Here is how this series has been for goals scored

Pats- 6/23 on the PP (scored 2 PP goals each game)
3 Even strength goals
9 total goals
107 total shots

Broncos- 3/21 on the PP
6 Even strength goals
9 total goals (with 1 being a empty netter)
94 total shots

6-3 in even strength goals, this just tells me what I already knew. 5 on 5 Swift is the better team and needs to stay out of the box, especially with Wilson and Dudas out because of the dirty hits.

CJSenterprise4
03-26-2008, 08:50 AM
I am man enough to say i was way wrong. Sometimes it's good to be wrong though when guessing sports. Listened to most of the game and it sounded like a good game. Also i wouldn't expect the Bronco fans to post after the game...they wouldn't be in the right state of mind and would say something bad maybe. I know last year after the Pats lost at home in Game 5 i would have not posted because i was way too angry. This is a great series, still wish we had brandon though- they are in trouble.

patsdude114
03-26-2008, 01:32 PM
6-3 in even strength goals, this just tells me what I already knew. 5 on 5 Swift is the better team and needs to stay out of the box, especially with Wilson and Dudas out because of the dirty hits.

yes i knew the Broncos were better then us 5 on 5, the Pats fed off the PP all season long i believe we were top 4 on the PP. Before Pyett left for the world juniors we were #1 in the league. While Pyett was gone so did our PP.

It is easy to say to stay out of the box but with how the rules are being inforced and with the emotions out there, each team seems to be granted a min of 7 PPs each game. Got to make the most of those, or you better make sure the PK shows up and wants to work, get in shooting lanes and keep positional play.

Im not sure how Game 3 went for the Broncos PP (as webcast is hard to see) but in the 1st 2 games in Regina SC always had that back door play open on the PP, they only made 1 pass in 2 games for the backdoor play but Weise fired the puck wide with a wide open net. The Pats have done a great job at getting sticks in the way for the cross ice pass on the backdoor. I wish the Pats would run a PP like the Broncos, I am a very big fan of the backdoor play, instead Hunt wants to overload 1 side of the ice and create plays from the low guy (be it Eberle or Kraus down low) it can be very effective also (hence top 4 on PP) but id much rather see a mixture of backdoor play and Bartley and Pyett playing catch for one-timers.

GO PATS GO!!!!

witness
03-26-2008, 02:19 PM
I was at the game last night and well worth the trip. What a great game!! It really could have gone either way. Swift Current missed two open nets in the 3rd and the Pats failed to score on the PP in the last couple of minutes in the game. Gutsy effort by both teams.

I think that it is going to be tough for the Broncos tonight. They played 4 d most of the night. There is no doubt that will wear you down. Add in an extra 10 minutes of overtime and now have to strap them on again for tonight, that is asking a lot.

My keys for game 4:
1. The Bronco have to stay out of the box! With the touch fouls being called you are going to take some penalities, but they have to stop taking the lazy neutral zone hooks and offensive zone penalities. The penalities are taking their toll on the thin defense corpes. And the Pats are an amazing 27.3% on the PP. That means that if the Broncos take 7 to 9 penalities, they will be giving up 2 goals. Tough to play up hill.
The Pats PP put on a puck moving clinic last night. The Broncos really brought the box up high to try to neutralize Pyett and Bartley, this leaves the cross seam pass wide open. Look for some one-timers from the wings.
2. Pyett has been amazing. He is such a treat to watch. He is the true leader of this team and this series will have his thumb print on it. In my opinion he has been the best player on the ice for both teams.
3. Rowatt has to continue to be steady. He hasn't been brillant, just good enough to keep the team in the game. And that is all you can ask.
4. The Pats have to get a better start tonight. If the Broncos score a couple of goals early, they just might run the Pats out of town.
5. Eberle! No more really needs to be said. The little guy feels that he has let his team down and wants to make amends. I think he will be good for at least 2 points tonight.