PDA

View Full Version : Pats 4 @ Broncos 5 OT

Big Ern
03-27-2008, 12:31 AM
RAFTERS. That was all I saw when I opened my eyes as 2600 fans went BALLISTIC at the i-PLex on the OT winner to tie the series at two. I was going nuts all third period long...never mind OT. It's extremely stressful for me to watch a game like that happen...for some reason. That's why on the winning goal, I looked straight up and thanked whoever it is up there that finally made it happen. That's basically the game story for myself.

On the ice, it was a great performance for some guys, and a forgettable night for others....on both sides. Special teams played a huge part and almost cost the Broncos the game again. Fortunately, they were able to capitalize in the third on the PP, and were FINALLY able to penetrate the Pats' defense for the OT winner. The defense on both sides was amazing..they looked tireless, and so risilient. It was great to watch. The first ten minutes were tilted in the Pats' favour. Otherwise, the game was even for the most part. In fact, it was incredibly even...

Some notes:

-5 on 5, the Broncos are dominating this series. At times, a PP almost seems to be a momentum killer for them. But wait...the PP connected on their last chance with Geordie Wudrick's tying goal. Now, everything may have changed for the better.........

-special teams is definitely a huge key in a playoff series. The Pats have done a great job throughout in this area, and as mentioned above almost took tonight's decision with THREE powerplay goals.

-what defense! Guys were repeatedly being pushed to the outside when they rushed in. The Broncos, shorthanded as they are on defense, got a tremendous effort from Eric Doyle, Spencer McAvoy, and Bretton Stamler to improvise. These guys did it all tonight. And as far as Regina's defense is concerned, you can't say enough. They just work...work...and work again. On a positive note for us...will Mike Wilson be back next game? We'll see....

-what goaltending!! Travis Yonkman definitely get's more attention tonight..all because of that OT save on Jordan Eberle. That was a game-saver..literally. WHAT a stop!! Yonks was battling a bit at one point in the game...I'm sure he wanted Watt's goal back...the one he was a little off on. However, I don't know for sure. One thing I do know..he came up big more than not and helped immensely in the win tonight. At the other end, Linden Rowatt stopped lots of rubber as well. You have to give him credit because he gave his team a chance to win. He may have allowed one or two that he wants back, but it happens.

-too many turnovers. The Broncos had waaayyy too many ugly gimmies coming out of their own zone. Guys were mishandling and misjudging...two of the forwards had a pretty forgettable night. In playoffs, especially as a team leader, you have to be prepared and play strong with minimal mistakes.

-Swift again, took too many penalties. That deadly Pats' PP has to be kept off the ice. It hurts when they score that PP goal, especially when the penalty gets taken deep in the o-zone. Can't do that..the Broncos know it. They did too much of that tonight.

-the rest of the aspects were pretty good...again, these teams are so evenly matched, you could really go through the entire line-up tonight and there would be a credit for everyone.

-I thought guys that stood out in the forward group included Zack Smith who led the charge and more, Dale Weise with the OT winning point and some gut-wrenching hits, Codey Eakin with a big effort once again, Levi Nelson with a big goal and a solid performance, Geordie Wudrick with two goals, Keegan Dansereau, (WOW is he ever creative) and Justin Dowling with a solid outing as well.

-that point finally came for Dale Weise. Some fans may rip him, but wow..he's been snakebit on several occasions, he's been robbed by Linden Rowatt at least twice, and kept the good play coming until the big point came. It was about time....although not a huge factor in games one and two, he has been awesome in these two home games. And he may have gotten himself the winning goal tonight. The game sheet says Zack Smith, but it could be Weise that knocked the puck in on that play...we'll see tomorrow. Anyway...Dale was pretty happy after the game... (Scout...are you reading this?? haha :mad: )

OTHER POINTS TO PONDER:

-great finish. The win feels good...it really really does.

-the Broncos know they can win in Queen City....motivation should not be a problem. But the effort will have to be huge.

-I had my Friday tickets purchased three days ago already. The possible Brandt Centre sell-out won't effect me. lol

-sorry for no recap last night. I decided not to type one up...just to see if it would bring better results on ice. Guess what...it worked!! Just kidding... Sometimes work really tires me out, and all I wanna do is hit the hay when arriving home after an OT game. Such was the case last night.

Have a great night.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Speedy Broncs
03-27-2008, 12:55 AM
Impressed with the way the boys fought back all night. Agree with you Ern on the giveaways .... we certainly are doing a much better job while 5 on 5, vs. giving them power plays or going on our own power play. Man, is our PP hurting right now.

What a tremendous hit from Claffey on the next high diving champion at the Beijing Olympics, aka. Mr. JD Watt!!!!! vc124 I actually think that the grimace of pain on his face was sincere for a short while ... but then, after laying on the ice for awhile, of course he was ready for his next shift. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a talented hockey player ... but for a 6 footer, 200 lb player to dive as much as he does, he looks like a 5 footer, 100 lber. Like his talent and grit, but lose the diving, dude - it's embarassing for you!

Great job back on D - hoping that we get some help on Friday, maybe Wilson's return?? Give it all you got on Friday and win in Regina ... then come home on Saturday to a loud I-Plex!!!

sbtatter
03-27-2008, 07:26 AM
I was looking at the stats from this series and most of the Bronco's are pluses, whereas most of the Pats are minuses, special teams must be saving Regina????....

Flathead
03-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Loved the way we fought back all night for the win! This team will never give up and for that as a fan I say thank you! applause
We don't make it easy on ourselves though having to climb out of two goal deficits.
Five on five we are outscoring them 10-4!! Let's do our best to play aggressive but stay out of the box.
We also have to cut down on the number of give aways, especially in our own end. There was easily a dozen of them last night.
Did anyone see the fans wearing the swimming caps and goggles? They were wearing them as part of the JD Watt dive team :laugh: hilarious, way to go guys.

Scout
03-27-2008, 07:43 AM
I love Dale Wiese and how he plays. The guy plays with grit and is a team leader. He has improved 100 % over last year and people are taking notice. The guy who stood out the most last night was Keegan. This guy showed another side i have never seen before. Gave it all last night and made some beauty plays. You can't get down on any of these guys as they are all doing their parts. Their standing up for each other and are not allowing the Pats size to intimidate them as they are going hit for hit. Claffey laid out Watt a couple of times last night. Be nice to have Wilson back and rumor has it if we get past the Pats that Dudas could return sooner than expected with a playing cast.

Scout

Chuckles
03-27-2008, 08:58 AM
All i have to say to yonks is that save was freaking remarkable. WOW.. i thought it was over.. gapping net.. eberele.. and yonks throws his stick out there.. and knocks it wide.. WOW..

Toswammi
03-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Yonkman with the SAVE OF THE YEAR last night.

FIVE FOR FIGHTING
03-27-2008, 10:04 AM
I can only imagine how the players must feel. As a fan, I was absolutely exhausted after last nights game.

eye4aneye
03-27-2008, 10:09 AM
I can only imagine how the players must feel. As a fan, I was absolutely exhausted after last nights game.
lol good thing it is spring break!! can you imagine having to go to school??

Scout
03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Yah i noticed the Watt dive team in the stands with their signs and swimming goggles and the latex hats. I burst out laughing when i first saw them. That was priceless.

Scout

patsdude114
03-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Yah i noticed the Watt dive team in the stands with their signs and swimming goggles and the latex hats. I burst out laughing when i first saw them. That was priceless.

Scout

i have to say when i read this, i also bursted out laughing as well.... i think that is what makes rivalries great.. Fans getting into with the players within some common sence as well...

Even me being a Pats fan if i would of seen that would of made me laugh as well. I like JD Watt only cause he is on my team, but i do agree with the Bronco fans that he has been diving around out there making things a bigger deal then they actaully are. Oh well he is doing his job though as a pest. The Bronco players were getting upset with him here in Regina (im sure it was no difference when in SC) each team has their pest of a player. Broncos got Nelson who is a pest (and think you guys had 2 of them when you had Leavold also) the pests are what make these games excitings. Just ask pat fans how excited/pissed off we get when Reich comes to town........

Best of 3 now and both goalies dont seem to be slowly down, with big saves and big saves at both ends of the rink. Yonkman made some huge saves in OT example stick save on Eberle with wide open net. I knew Yonkman was a good goaltender but i must say i am abit surprised with his heroics in this series, not taking anything away from him though with that comment, just that i only see him play a handful of times this year. Where you Bronco fans have seen him on a regurlar basis...

GO PATS GO!!!!

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
03-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Heck of a game last night, not sure we deserved to win after that first period, but what a comeback!

The crowd noise after the OT goal was possibly the loudest I have ever heard in that rink, granted I've only been attending games regularly for about 4 years now.

Let's use that momentum, and take one in Regina tomorrow.

GO BRONCOS!

d-man
03-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Hope I don't end up regretting this but... Kudos to the refs last night for putting the whistles away late in the third and through overtime to let these two exciting teams settle it for themselves.