PDA

View Full Version : Broncos/Pats Even In Series

Scout
03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Broncos and Pats all even

The Southwest Booster

While everyone in the building thought Swift Current’s Zack Smith scored at the 7:37 mark of the second overtime to lift the Broncos to a 5-4 victory over the visiting Regina Pats, Smith confessed it was actually linemate Dale Weise who was the overtime hero.
Regardless of who scored the overtime winner the result was that the Broncos tied the best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarter final series at two games each, with game five shifting back to Regina on Friday. Game six of the series returns to Swift Current on Saturday.
Smith explained how the Weise centering pass ended up behind Pats netminder Linden Rowat for the game deciding goal.
“Actually I might have been the only one in the rink that could tell but Dale Weise scored it, it went off (Logan) Pyett’s skate as I was driving to the net,” said Smith. “I’d like to think that I helped it along there driving to the net.”
Swift Current fought back from period deficits of 3-1 and 4-3 before Geordie Wudrick sent the game into overtime with his second goal of the game, a powerplay marker with 9:18 left in regulation.
Regina scored on their first two powerplay opportunities of the contest while building a 3-1 first period advantage. Logan Pyett and Jordan Eberle had powerplay markers, with J.D. Watt adding an even strength marker.
Keegan Dansereau and Levi Nelson also scored for the Broncos
After Nelson’s first of the playoffs narrowed the margin to 3-2 early in the middle period, Regina regained their two goal lead when Victor Bartley scored during a five-on-three powerplay. Swift Current cut the lead to a single goal when Wudrick scored 1:19 later.
Regina finished the game scoring three powerplay goals on six chances, while Swift Current had a single powerplay goal in eight tries.
Broncos starting goaltender Travis Yonkman earned his second playoff victory by stopping 33 of 37 shots, including all 11 shots during 27:37 of overtime.
Yonkman made a game and perhaps series saving stop off of Jordan Eberle at the end of the first overtime when he somehow got his paddle in front of a shot destined for an open net.
Wudrick described the spectacular save.
“All I can say is unbelievable! Travis has come out huge and made a lot of huge saves for us over the past couple of years, but that was obviously the biggest and probably one of the nicest ones I have ever seen.”
Pats netminder Linden Rowat stopped 34 of 39 shots in the loss.
Wudrick explained that the Broncos now have the momentum after the emotional overtime win.
“Obviously coming off that big win I know that everyone is excited and we feel that we have a little bit of momentum right now. We still have to work hard and do all the things that we are doing good to win this one.”