PDA

View Full Version : Drazenovic forced to wait for entry draft

Sput
03-30-2005, 03:20 AM
PG FreePress

Mar 27 2005

The effects of the NHL lockout hit closer to home for Prince George Cougars forward Nick Drazenovic.
If and when the 2005 NHL Entry Draft is held, it won't be with the glitz and glamour the draft has been known for. This time around it will happen through a conference call.
"We were going to see how I was ranked and then decide. Now we'll just have to see what happens and go from there," said Drazenovic. "I've always known it's pretty big [the lockout]. I'm pretty disappointed they are canceling the draft and stuff. They'll have a draft eventually and it will just be a matter of when.
"[If the draft is cancelled] it may give me a chance to maybe get ranked higher. But there will be a lot more people in the draft if they combine 2005 and 2006. So a third rounder could drop down to the sixth round. It effects everyone I guess."
Drazenovic turned 18 in January just days before playing in the Home Hardware Top Prospects Game in Vancouver. Drazenovic was part of Team Cherry, which defeated Team Davidson 8-4.
The league has scrapped the draft, which was scheduled to take place in Ottawa on June 25 and 26, since a collective bargaining agreement is not in place. The NHL has said a draft will not be held until a CBA is reached.
Drazenovic played in all 72 games for the Cats this season and was second in team scoring with 18 goals and 38 assists for 56 points.
As a rookie with the Cougars Drazenovic set a record for points with seven goals and 30 assists in 65 games. He also missed part of the season when he attended the World Under 17 Hockey Challenge as part of Team Pacific.
Last summer Drazenovic also, skated for Canada for the Under-18 Junior World Cup team in the Czech Republic in Slovakia.
There is still a slight chance that a scaled-down version of the draft will be held in Ottawa if a CBA is reached in the near future, with a mini-draft featuring two rounds with only top prospects being invited to Ottawa

Jovorock
03-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Alot of kids are in the same boat, I'm waiting for the first player to challenge the draft in court. Someone and it maybe Crosby with all his Nike bucks challenge to be a free agent and do what he wants and where.

kelownakarl
03-31-2005, 09:37 AM
Someone and it maybe Crosby with all his Nike bucks challenge to be a free agent and do what he wants and where.

I think it was reebok ? :D