PDA

View Full Version : Gillies Signs

Scout
03-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Gillies Signs with Wild, Joins Aeros

HOUSTON, Texas – Minnesota Wild President and General Manager Doug Risebrough today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has signed center Colton Gillies (pronounced KOHL-tuhn GIHL-eez) to a multi-year contract beginning with the 2008-09 season.

Gillies has also signed an Amateur Tryout contract with the Houston Aeros of the American Hockey League (AHL) to finish the rest of this season.

Gillies, 19 (2/12/89), recorded 47 points (24-23=47) and 97 penalty minutes (PIM) in 58 games during his third full season with the Saskatoon Blades of the Western Hockey League (WHL) in 2007-08. The 6-foot-4, 194-pound center ranked first on the team in goals (24) and power play markers (14) and second in scoring. He was named team captain in January and won a gold medal with Team Canada at the 2008 World Junior Hockey Championships held in the Czech Republic.

Career Highlights:

Drafted by Blades – 1st round (2nd overall) in 2004 WHL Bantam Draft
Team Pacific – Captain – 2006 World U-17 Hockey Championship
Team Canada – Assistant Captain – 2007 World U-18 Hockey Championship - Gold Medalist
CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - 2007
Team WHL – 2006 and 2007 ADT Canada Russia Challenge
Canada/Russia Super Series participant - 2007
Drafted by Wild – 1st round (16th overall) in 2007 NHL Entry Draft
Team Canada – 2008 World Junior Hockey Championship - Gold Medalist

howley
03-28-2008, 05:16 PM
dang, and to think this whole time I was pronoucning his name Karlton Giblets....man I feel foolish.

Trav
03-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Yes, I know there's still a chance he could return but I highly doubt it now and the Blades likely would've gotten something good for him, after all they got 2 probably 3 players for McCrae and Langkow and Gallimore are going to be good. Oh well.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-29-2008, 11:43 AM
The NHL's Minniesota Wild invest in Gillies.

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, March 29, 2008

Don't count on Colton Gillies returning to the Saskatoon Blades next season.

The Minnesota Wild announced Friday they've signed the 19-year-old winger to a three-year NHL contract. The deal could kick in as early as next fall.

"It's still too early to tell," Gillies said from Houston, where he's been practising with Minnesota's AHL affiliate, the Aeros. "Next year, I'll still be too young to play in the AHL, so it's either make Minnesota or go back to Saskatoon."

The Blades' captain said he would be fine with either option.

The Wild selected Gillies 16th overall in the 2007 NHL draft. He then helped Team Canada post a 7-0-1 record in the summer Super Series against Russia. The native of Surrey, B.C., subsequently won gold with Canada at the world junior championship in the Czech Republic.

"In the second half of the year he started to produce some points for us," said Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken. "From our standpoint, for him to come back and continue that would be a huge asset to our hockey club.

"But the reason these young guys play is because they have a dream of some day playing in the NHL. If that happens sooner than later for Colton, that's a real feather in his hat."

Gillies registered 24 goals and 23 assists in 58 games with the Blades this season. He was particularly effective down the stretch when he posted nine goals and seven assists in the final 11 games.

"It would be nice to refine some of those skills, but Minnesota does a great job with the players in their system," said Gillies, who leaves today for a 14-day trip with the Aeros. "I know that if I stay with Minnesota, they'll still work me hard and make sure that I continue developing as a player."

Minnesota's assistant GM, Tom Thompson, watched Gillies play at Credit Union Centre a couple of times late in the season.

"(Thompson's) analysis of the Gillies situation," said Molleken, "was this: 'It's like a heavyweight boxing fight. If Colton comes in and unseats the champion, then we have to take a long look at him.'

"So," continued Molleken, "if he goes in there and shows that he's capable, we don't expect him back."

During a heartfelt speech at the Blades' awards banquet March 17, Gillies paused several times to collect himself. He concluded by saying, "I don't know what my future holds, but wherever I go, I hope it makes Saskatoon and the Blades proud."

BLADE BITS: Gillies surprised an old teammate when he stepped into the Aeros' dressing room this week. Former Blades G Anton Khudobin tends twine for Houston. "He recognizes me," Gillies said through a smile. "He was surprised to see me, but he had a big smile on his face." . . . It appears the Wild won't be signing Blades grad Ondrej Fiala before the June 1 deadline. The 20-year-old winger, selected 40th overall by the Wild in 2006, has returned to his Czech home.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2008

WestLEAFfan
03-29-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm sure all BLADES fans and hockey fans alike are wishing Colton the best of luck, however if he sticks with the big club, there will be some awfully big skates to fill next season. Who would be a good fit for the "C" should Colton not return?

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-29-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm sure all BLADES fans and hockey fans alike are wishing Colton the best of luck, however if he sticks with the big club, there will be some awfully big skates to fill next season. Who would be a good fit for the "C" should Colton not return?
Well I think that there are a couple of possibilites for team captain next season. Jyri Niemi,Derek Hulak(I know I will get some critisism for saying that) but maybe a twenty year old will get it? I do not think there is a clear #1 choice yet.

Trav
03-29-2008, 02:10 PM
already has an "A".

Scout
03-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Remember because of his age, if he does not make the Wild, he has to be returned to the Blades. He can't be sent to an affiliate. Yes the Wild are very high on him but they are also known not to rush their prospects. Last year the Wild had six centers on the team. Bouchard,Koivu,Belanger,Sheppard, Walz and Kelly all played parts with the Wild last year at center. I still think there is a 60% chance of Colton getting sent back unless they change his position and put him as a winger but he will stay for a very long look at camp.

Scout

howley
03-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Minny seems to have alot of depth at every position. Not saying Gillies can't crack their roster but it will be tougher for him there than alot of other teams. Minnesota is notorious for not rushing prospects. It all depends on what kind of player they want Kohl-tun to develop into.

Trav
03-29-2008, 07:52 PM
from what I've heard they've known to keep young guys up.

howley
03-30-2008, 12:08 AM
The young guys they have kept have been amazing hockey players IMO. Bouchard, Burns, Sheppard would be the 3 that have stuck as young guys. Bouchard was thrust into a scoring role as a very young player and suceeded well. Burns was a peculiar story but finally they gave him a home and he's been dynamite the past few seasons. Sheppard appears to have been a consistent 3rd line player.

I wish that writer for the team would poke his head in here with some insight.

old_time_hockey
03-30-2008, 12:52 AM
It may seem like he is gone for good. But many fans thought that Wacey Rabbit was too and he came back for his O/A year. Granted it was in a trade, but still.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-30-2008, 09:29 PM
I know that whatever happens with Gillies next season I am sure that Blades fans(myself included)will be happy for him,want him to succeed and hope that the right descision will be made to help him develop into the complete player that we all know he can be.(wheather if that is the NHL for a while,or another season here in Saskatoon) It would sure be nice to get the privalige to watch him for atleast one more season. So here is the link to his profile with the Houston Aeros.

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=2341

Trav
03-30-2008, 10:16 PM
2 assists in 3 games.