PDA

View Full Version : Regina 2 @ Swift Current 5 FINAL

Big Ern
03-29-2008, 11:00 PM
We're you expecting a recap? Check back tomorrow.

I'll post some thoughts on this entire series and it's finish after I recover from what is sure to be an IMMENSE hangover.

I'm sorry if this post is not about hockey, and I get drunk a maximum of twice per year.....but the Broncos knocked out the Regina Pats in one hell of a series, and until tomorrow at least noon, that's all that matters right now...in the world.

Read tomorrow!

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Big Ern
03-30-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm back!

What a series this has been! For us here in Swift Current it's the sweetest possible ending. From the other side it's definitely going to be viewed differently, but either way...you have to savour this six game set for what it really was.

The Broncos gave it all they had. Starting with Travis Yonkman in goal, the guys' determination showed through throughout the series. Yonkman played a HUGE part in winning this series...he was better than his counterpart. He was there to make the big saves every time. I recall one weak goal. Yonks was fantastic. The second thing to mention is being shorthanded...for at least 85% of this series, the Broncos were missing two top-end guys. Be it Mike Wilson and Jesse Dudas, or Mike Wilson back in and Erik Felde out. Still...they played their hearts out....with grit, sacrifice, and determination. We had guys stepping up all over the ice. How about the defense? Eric Doyle logged a tonne of minutes....Derek Claffey was an impact player in the series......Bretton Stamler toughed it out and played awesome. On the front end, it was basically the exact same story. This team worked their butts off...the kid line was awesome.......our captain was phenominal. The Weises, the Nelsons, and Dansereaus were major contributors. That's what we needed going in....a team effort. And guess what? That's what we got. The odd player had the VERY odd off-night. The powerplay didn't work like it has to. The discipline at times was questionable, but determination is what counts. In truth, our guys wanted this very VERY badly.

On the Regina Pats' side, they had their share of problems throughout the series...obviously. They bolstered an extremely strong defense coming in with Bartley, Pyett, Bender, Teubert, etc. etc. But it was just not strong enough to shut down a balanced Bronco offense....the most balanced offense in the WHL in fact. The exception was game #1, in which Regina basically managed to choke Swift Current. The Pats' powerplay, which has been in the top three for most of the season, was no different in playoffs...it was phenominal. The problems for them were secondary scoring, and 5 on 5 play, and determination. I might have it all in one sentence, but these three are big problems. They had the MacAngus/Kraus/Eberle line which was deadly anytime they were on the ice....but not much after that. That's why 5 on 5 they were outdone. You need balanced scoring to win in playoffs. Leaders on the team, like Logie, had off nights. When Logan doesn't come to play, Regina can't win..I'm sorry but that's the bottom line. Goaltending was question mark. Yes, Rowatt made some temendous stops in this series, but last night when they needed him most, he didn't show up at all. Game five was ugly for him too. There were some positives....J.D. Watt was the best player on their team. He was a threat to contain out there most of the time. The Pats have some quality guys on their team...a personal friend of mine is Garrett Mitchell. He's a great kid. I got to meet Brett Leffler this series as well. Off the ice the rivalry is forgotten. Having said all of that, right now has to be a very frustrating and sad time for the Regina Pats. It will be interesting to see what shakes down.

Moving on now...

The Broncos have to take some time and celebrate this series win. This has to be the best feeling our team has ever had as a group.....as the win over Regina is a game within a game.

Next weekend, it's back down to business.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

NOTES:

-this series from a business perspective, was perfect for the Broncos! They got maximum profit out of it....all three home games, and the best playoff attendance in YEARS!! 2689 was the average...that's awesome. Remember, playoff tickets are more money also, which means more $$$ in the team's pocket.

-I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the Pats' fans who came to Swift Current to watch. It's been a tremendous series, and it was fun to have the odd chat with some of them. Rivalry aside, we're all hockey fans. Also, for the time I had in Regina for all three games...this going out to guys and people like PATSDUDE114, PATS TV's tech guru Brendan Pawliw, Rise 'n' Shine Bed + Breakfast in Regina, and many others. They have some great fans there. The Brandt Centre, even though the ice is sometimes questionable, is a good venue. The sightlines are incredible. Again, as a Bronco fan going in there, I was not yelled at, spit on, or anything of that sort. I never set off fireworks, so I don't really expect any to come my way. If they did, I would certainly get involved. I prefer to keep it clean, enjoy watching the on-ice happenings, and then typing a decent recap after each game. As far as this series goes, I had a great time in the Queen City.

-this afternoon, I'm off to MJ. I'm looking forward to a tremendous matchup between the Hitmen and Warriors. Deep down, I'm hoping this series goes to seven games...it's obvious why I would want that. But I truly am going to just enjoy this game whatever happens...no stress, no looking skyward, no nothing. I don't care. Should be fun in the Crushed Can! GO _______??_________ GO!!! ;)

What an AWESOME last week!! Again, you have to savour this type of entertainment. I'm glad to be a part of it in some way.

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

WestLEAFfan
03-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Nice one Big Ern! I too will be listening in on the Warrior v Hitmen game. I'm cheering for the Warriors in a huge round 1 upset. Congrats to the BRONCO's and all their fans for a fantastic round 1 victory. It was extremely entertaining to listen to on the radio. Keen and Pederson do an excellent job of play by play. Their blogs are entertaining as well. applause