PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Advance

Scout
03-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Broncos advance to Eastern Conference semi-finals

SOUTHWEST BOOSTER SPORTS
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos clinched a 4-2 series win in the best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarter-final with a 4-2 win over the visiting Regina Pats on Saturday night.

The Broncos jumped out to a 3-0 first period lead on goals from Cody Eakin, Dale Weise, and Geordie Wudrick and held on despite a nearly successful comeback attempt from the Pats to win their third consecutive series after falling behind 2-1 in the series.

16-year-old Cody Eakin opened the scoring 2:12 into the contest with his first WHL playoff goal when he fired a puck past Linden Rowat.

Less than two minutes later Dale Weise took a long pass after sneaking behind the defense and fired a shot past Rowat on the stick side.

Geordie Wudrick netted his fourth of the post-season, and the eventual game-winning goal, when he deflected a Michael Wilson shot past a stunned Rowat who was promptly lifted for Jeff Bosch.

The Broncos outshot the Pats 16-1 over the first 15 minutes and by an 18-5 margin overall in the period.

19-year-old forward Ryan DePape cut the lead to 3-1 with a second period powerplay marker only seconds after the Pats played the puck with nine skaters on the ice prompting calls from the Broncos players and fans for a too many men penalty but the obvious advantage somehow went unnoticed by all four officials.

DePape cut the deficit to one goal early in the third period with his second powerplay goal of the contest when he slid a rebound under Yonkman.

The Pats were handed a glorious comeback opportunity when Swift Current was whistled for three consecutive minor penalties to begin the third period but the Pats were only able to score once and Dale Weise and Keegan Dansereau sealed the win with empty net goals.

Travis Yonkman earned his fourth playoff win with 28 saves on 30 shots.

Rowat suffered the loss after allowing three goals on six shots. Bosch stopped all 25 shots he faced in relief.

The Broncos powerplay entered the contest operating at 13.9 per cent with five goals in 36 tries and scored once on five opportunities.

The Pats powerplay entered the contest with 10 goals in 38 tries for a 73.7 percent success rate and scored both of their goals on seven powerplays.

Broncos Head Coach / General Manager Dean Chynoweth explained his first playoff series win with the Broncos.

“Well it is tough to put into words especially when it is our first as a group. There were a lot of momentum shifts in this series and even tonight we kind of sat back there a little and then got into some penalty trouble and they wouldn’t go away. Our guys were full marks for sticking with it.”

Chynoweth seemed to be one of the only Broncos supporters in the building to remain calm through the string of penalties.

“Well I don’t stay calm all the time, I can tell you that. I thought a couple were calls that, I would have to look at the video again, but I didn’t really like them. But our team the last two games have been more resilient in that area of feeding off the kill. Our penalty kill was better the last two games in the little things we were doing and the guys seemed to feed off it.”

The fourth-year coach explained the approach to the contest.

“I figured they would be a little bit tight to start and I thought they were for those first two shifts, then we seemed to get going. You stress the point that the fourth game is the toughest one to win and we don’t have to change the way we are playing we want to limit there opportunities and obviously stay out of the box, that has fallen on deaf ears throughout the series. It is something that we need to clean up or it is going to bite us in the next round.”

Chynoweth also pointed out the play of Travis Yonkman who out-dueled Eastern Conference All-Star goalie Linden Rowat.

“I thought he was phenomenal, I thought not having any playoff experience and getting stronger in each game, some game saving moments where he had to stand tall. You said it with goaltending you need guys to step up and play at a greater capacity, our young kids did that on the Eakin line. We had a bit of everything, we like our depth and we are going to need those guys to contribute if we are going to continue to have success.”

Forward Dale Weise, who scored twice, tried to put his feelings into words.

“It is absolutely incredible right now. I am so ecstatic because I was so nervous when I took those two penalties I was almost in tears in the penalty box. We prevailed and this team really rose to the occasion when we needed to and that’s what we did tonight.”

Yonkman hopes this is the first of many series victories for his team.

“It is good feeling, and we need to remember this feeling so hopefully we can get it against Calgary again.”

Yonkman is already looking towards the Conference semi-finals and possible opponents in the Calgary Hitmen, the Brandon Wheat Kings, or the Kootenay Ice.

“We are not satisfied yet, it is only one series and there are a few more we need to accomplish yet. Sure it is nice to get the first one under the belt and I feel good and comfortable with the guys but like I said we are not done, we are not done yet.”

Scout
03-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Saturday, March 29, 2008
rodpedersen.com: It's Over
BRONCOS 5 PATS 2
(Swift Current wins series 4-2)

SWIFT CURRENT -- The 2007-08 season for the Regina Pats ended tragically Saturday night, in hockey terms. With their backs against the wall, the Pats began Game 6 like the way Game 5 ended. Badly.

Ten seconds into the game, Jordan Eberle rung the post behind Bronco goalie Travis Yonkman. It was a sign of things to come. Two minutes later, the shift ended with Cody Eakin scoring for the Broncos. The first whistle came when it was already 1-0 Swift Current. In front of a sellout crowd, the Broncos continued to pour it on, as Dale Weise scored just past the 4:00 mark to make it 2-0. It became 3-0 seven minutes in when Geordie Wudrick tipped home a Michael Wilson point shot. After allowing three goals on six shots, Pats' goalie Linden Rowat was pulled.

Guess what? Backup Jeff Bosch never allowed a goal the rest of the way. But the Pats couldn't generate enough offence to benefit from it. Ryan DePape scored a PPG in the second, the only goal of the period. It was 3-1 Swift after two. DePape netted another on the powerplay in the third to make things interesting. THAT'S when we started to see the playoff-type intensity, and the atmosphere we expected in the I-Plex.

Regina spent much of the opening stages of the third frame on the powerplay, but couldn't beat Yonkman when it mattered.

With just under two minutes left, Bosch was pulled for the extra attacker. However Weise, and then Keegan Dansereau, both scored empty-netters to make the score ugly, and out of reach.

The shots ended 33-30 for the Broncos, although the Pats outshot them in both the second and third periods.

The game ended with the Bronco bench spilling onto the ice and mobbing Yonkman. If there was a series MVP award, he'd get it.

I'm not going to drag this out with a melodramatric epilogue. I've got a headache and I'd rather drink some roadies on the ride home with B.P in his jeep.

It's over-simplying it to say this series turned on a single play, or boiled down to it. But regardless, the TSN series turning point was Yonkman's sprawling paddle save on Jordan Eberle in the first overtime of Game 4. Ebs scores, and it's 3-1 Pats in the series coming home to close it out in Game 5. Instead, the Pats basically imploded and went away quietly.

Linden Rowat did not cost the Pats the series. He and Yonkman's stats were virtually identical going into Game 5. But what the stats don't show is WHEN those saves were made, and Yonkman's timing was perfect each and every game. I'll admit, he did outplay Linden in Games 5 and 6.

I want to commend the officiating in the series because those guys were awesome each game. I was really impressed, and the 'Dub's done a good job grooming and developing these guys. Nicely done.

As for the Pats, it's the end of the line for 20-year olds Ryan Bender, Tim Kraus and J.D. Watt. Actually it's not really for J.D. He's going to find out Sunday from his agent if he'll join the Flames' AHL affiliate in Iowa. He's going to let me know. Perhaps he'll post a comment on the blog since he's such an avid reader!

But no, I always think of the overages. They'll wake up Sunday facing the rest of their lives. Up until this point, they've been in the safe sanctity of a WHL team; scheduling their lives, giving them a sense of belonging, and a place to go everyday. Now they're on their own. Free agents in life so to speak. It can be a somewhat frightening feeling.

For me, this isn't a total loss. Losing out this early is going to cost me some $, and a whole lot of fun. But I'll get a life till Rider season starts. Bronco fans will chuckle that they had one more fan in Regina. My 8-year old Alyia was cheering for the Broncos in this series because she wanted her Dad back. Now she's got him.

Aaaaaagh. There's more to write but I'm done.

This blogger's gonna take some days off.

Good luck Broncos.. And congratulations.

RP

dubfan
03-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Great game and series by the TEAM. The I Plex was in fine form last night, what an atmosphere, the fans brought there playoff attitude as well, the past home games. That hard core group of fans that travelled to the games in Regina are great, the players I was told got a huge pump up by the support, keep it up, it's only going to get better. Nice to be a long time supporter and your team is doing well, the on the bandwagon fans missed a lot of good action during the year.

The team has that "SOMETHING", X - Factor, togetherness, aura of confidence, that you see when teams have a successful playoff run, you can feel it.

The contributions for all have been huge, the veteran forwards on the most part have stepped up, the solid D play in particular with players led by Claffey, who has stepped up his performances 3 fold, have been great. The secret, not so much anymore, has been the exceptional play of the kid "DEW" line, they have been very good since playing off and on together since January. It's been said for eons that, to to well in the playoffs you need great goaltending, Travis has been that and more.

The game plan and player management by the coaching staff was right on, I like the flow of the lines as the top three units seem to be in the game more and it almost doesn't matter who which line is matched with.

Look forward to some more great action for the next two weeks or hopefully months.