PDA

View Full Version : Next years roster........

patsdude114
03-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Well not really something i was planning on talking about before April 1st but we were knocked out in round 1 with another great season but a disapointing 1st round playof exit. So here I take a look at some key departures from our roster and how our roster will shape up for next season.....

Key losses- Bender, Kraus, Watt and Pyett....

Bender- given he only played 30 regular season games in a Pats uniform, he did help players like Delahey and Teubert alot, which was 1 of the main reasons Parker wanted to get Bender, plus Bender brought alot of leadership as he was a captain of the Blazers.

Kraus- We needed a #1 center to play with Eberle and we got 1 with Kraus, yes at times alot of fans questioned his work ethic on the ice, but when we needed a offensive lift him and Eberle were there for us more times then not. With 44 assists for 59 points in 62 games, I think it is safe to say that Eberle wouldnt of scored 42 goals without Kraus, Kraus helped Eberle alot this season not only with his goal total but with maturity and how to handle yourself as a vetern in this league.

Watt- it would of been nice to have had JD Watt right at the begining of the year, 1 of his biggest knocks on him was taking stupid penalties but during his 29 games here in the season he rarely took any stupid penalties, he is a competetor brings his best every game. He has the skill to go to the next level (even if its only the AHL) loves to throw his weight around and will fight, block shots do what it takes to win hockey games. It was a treat to have JD on our team for the short time we did. Will prob get the call to Quad City by Monday, as he is a Flames prospect.

Pyett- though only 19 this year, with the chance to come back as a 20 yr old the chances of that happening is well lets put it this way..... buy a lottery ticket thats how good of a chance he has to come back. It was a treat watching Pyett progress his game over the past 4 years. Played with Hockey Canada during the course of his junior career a few times. He was a elite defenceman in this league. Looks like on Friday night was his last game at the Brandt Center. Will prob get that call to Grand Rapids by Monday as well, the wings want to see what he can do at the pro level before giving him any sort of a contract.

GOOD LUCK KRAUS, WATT, BENDER AND PYETT IN THE YEARS TO COME....

Now for our roster for next season still has the protential to be a very soild team for next year and the years to come....

A list of possible 20 year olds returning for next year.....

Elder- had played his last game in a Pats jersey when he got hurt
Depape- played his last game on saturday with the pats (baring trade)
Doucet- will be in the mix to be a 20 yr old
Hill- will be in the mix to be a 20 yr old
Bartley- will be in the mix to be a 20 yr old
MacAngus- will be in the mix to be a 20 yr old (baring trade)
Pyett- could be back but not good chance......

Between the pipes

Rowat- had a alright season but by no means was it a 1st team all-star year, Rowat struggled with inconsistent play and needs to find his game during the off-season. To be honest it would not surprise me at all if Rowat was moved in the off-season for a 17yr old. As much as i like Rowat and all but with Bosch waiting to get his chance and Tendler sitting behind Bosch there will be a move involving a goaltender maybe not right away but i really think Rowat will be the odd man out.

Bosch- as a 17 year old back up who could of took control and lead us into the playoffs had Rowat got hurt. Bosch has the trust in Hunt and Parker to be a regular goaltender in this league next season. He played extremely well after Rowat got the hook in Game 6 only 7 mins into the game. Dont be surprised if Bosch does to Rowat what Rowat did to Reekie.

Tendler- after a MVP and goalie of the year in the Sask AAA league Tendler is more then ready to be a back up in the WHL. I had the opportunity to watch Tendler play twice this season with the Pat C's this kid is the real deal and his numbers in AAA back it up also 43GP 21W 13L 2T 3SO 2.22GAA 92.13SV%

Back end (D) in depth order
Bartley
Teubert
Delahey
Pym
Jackson
Kulchar
Slobozian will get a chance to make this team
Koltyn Miller will get a chance to make this team

with the top 6 D our defence looks to be strong again with a vetern group back there again.

Forwards lead by Eberle.........

Eberle could score 50 goals along with a chance to make Team Canada
Cerveny should play with Eberle on the LW
Strueby will battle for #2 center
Mitchell will be used as a energy guy again between 2nd & 3rd line
Leffler most likely our new captain
Doucet in my opinion #1 center
Hill will battle for #2 center
MacAngus dont see him back next year, will be part of off-season deal
Kennedy i really like this kid should be 3rd line winger
Weal will play on 2nd line with Leffler, Hill/Strueby
Favreau will get every chance to make this team as 4th line center
Hood will get every chance to make this team as 4th liner
Hanson will battle with Miller, Mulder,Braaten for roster spot
Kenton Miller will battle with Hanson, Mulder,Braaten for roster spot
Mulder will battle with Hanson, Miller, Braaten for roster spot
Braaten will battle Mulder, Miller, Hanson for roster spot

*there is still room for a Euro if the GM wants to take a chance on 1*

I am still thinking that Parker is going to step down, he almost did last season. I think this time around though it is a no brainer, he took a chance without loosing any key prospects with the deals he made. Which failed time to move on Mr. Parker you have left this team with a bright future as this team will be sold within 2 years anyways to Mike Sillenger and Jamie Heward. Time to be a family man Mr. Parker you have done all you can for this franchise as the GM.

Im not going to make a comment on Coach Hunt, I like this man as a Coach but he gets out Coached alot...oppps there was a comment that's all im saying for now on Hunt.......

Was a great season we were entertained all season long, we had high's and low's. The season that coulda but it wasnt oh well time to move on and hope for another entertaining year next season..... Least my season tickets are pretty well paid for next year with my credit from the playoffs lol

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-30-2008, 04:02 PM
I think its all going to come down to how well the players perform at camp. Even still, I dont see Elder staying, and Pyett will be in pros next year. Depape is still worth something on the trade market, so he will probably be gone anyways...

Bartley should be back as our top defenceman, unless he gets signed to a pro deal, and one of Doucet, Macangus, or Hill will be out. If everything goes the way it looks like it will go, Hill will probably be the odd man out, though he is worth more to us than he is on the trade market.

I dont know what else will happen, but I know that there is going to be alot of work in the offseason.

sbtatter
03-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Hindsight is wonderful, but you probably didn't make the one move you needed to at the deadline, to get reimer...but with all the moves you made at least you didn't compromise your future, you made some good trades without giving up the farm...

witness
03-31-2008, 02:33 PM
The Pats have a stable of young prospects that might be able to step up. Their biggest hole is at the 18 & 19 year old positions.
They will only have 6 19's (Strueby, Leffler, Cerveny, Jackson, Delahey & Rowatt) and 4 18's (Kennedy, Eberle, Teubert & Kulchar).
The Pats have a log jam at goaltender. Rowatt is only 18. Bosch is 17 and then you have Ketlo (16) and Tendler (15). I would say that at least one goaltender will be moved. I would think the Pats would be looking for a 19 year old that can pot 20 goals.