PDA

View Full Version : Hockey shaped Morgan

nivek_wahs
03-31-2008, 08:50 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=9811e4a2-6475-4a32-bb59-78e2a7e66188

Hockey shaped Morgan

Matthew Kruchak, Leader-Post
Published: Monday, March 31, 2008

Nyjer Morgan will finally skate with a National Hockey League team. But the former Regina Pats forward first had to crack the roster of a Major League Baseball club to acomplish that goal.

It's a big week for the 27-year-old from San Francisco.

Not only will the outfielder play in his first season opener with the Pittsburgh Pirates today, but he'll play pick up hockey with the Pittsburgh Penguins later this week.

Morgan began his road to the Major Leagues as a kid in California dreaming of playing Canada's national sport and stopped in Regina on his way to the hallowed stadiums of America's pastime.

It was 1988. In his sunny California home, a seven-year-old Morgan became hooked on hockey as he watched the Winter Olympics in Calgary on TV.

He asked his dad if he could play. Eight years later he had a tryout with the British Columbia Hockey League's Vernon Vipers.

He wouldn't make the team, but went on to play for the North Okanagan Kings of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League. He would also suit up with the Nelson Leafs and then the Delta Ice Hawks of the Pacific International Junior Hockey League.

He continued to play baseball in the offseason and caught the eye of Major League scouts. He was selected by the Colorado Rockies in the 42nd round of the 1998 amateur draft but didn't sign with the club.

It was tough being the only African-American on the small town Canadian teams, Morgan said.

"Definitely it was a culture shock," he said, over the phone from Atlanta, where his team was preparing to take on the Braves. "But I'm an outgoing person. I'm going to make friends with whoever has an open mind and isn't narrow-minded. I get down with anybody."

It was that positive attitude that Pats' general manager Brent Parker recalled.

"I remember he was a kid who was always smiling," he said. "He seemed to be perpetually in a good mood."

Morgan was brought in to play for the Pats during the 1999-2000 season.

Morgan was excited to make it to the Western Hockey League and suit up for the Pats organization.

"I was just in awe because there's so much history with the Pats," he said. "There's so many guys who came through and that Pats history was just unreal."

Morgan displayed that excitement on ice in his first game against the Moose Jaw Warriors. He scored two goals and was named the first star.

But those would be the only goals he recorded for the team. Morgan would play six more games before being released.

He could skate, Parker said, but had an average hockey sense.

"Like everybody else, at some point you're not good enough to play at an elite level and at that time he just wasn't good enough," Parker said.

"He chose the right sport."

But it didn't discourage Morgan.

"I just took it all in stride and just enjoyed every single moment of it and just never forgot about the City of Regina," he said.

After leaving Regina, his girlfriend at the time became pregnant. He thought it was time to grow up and he dropped the hockey gloves.

But he'd pick up a baseball glove instead. He had an opportunity in 2001 to go to school and play baseball at Walla Walla College in Washington.

He was chosen by the Pirates in the 33rd round of the 2002 amateur draft and began a five-year career in the minor leagues.

He would get called up to the majors last season to play 28 games. He started 25 of them and hit .299, homered once and recorded seven RBIs in his 107 at-bats. The speedy outfielder also stole seven bases.

After losing the starting centre-fielder's spot to Pirates veteran Nate McLouth, Morgan said he's not worried -- it's early in the season.

"There's only one way and that's to go up," Morgan said. "I don't plan on seeing the minor leagues again. As long as I do what I'm supposed to do I think I'm going to have a good career up here."

He doesn't regret focusing on rinks rather than ball diamonds growing up. Hockey shaped who he is.

"Hockey gave me a little more heart," he said. "Everything happens for a reason. I was meant to go up there and play hockey for a little bit because it got me ready for what I'm doing now."

He hasn't laced up his skates for three years. But on Tuesday, he'll step on the ice with the Penguins.

"I'm going to love that," he said. "It isn't a tryout, but I'm going to bring it. I'm going to try to burn whoever is in net."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008