PDA

View Full Version : Many different types of Regina Pats fans

nivek_wahs
03-31-2008, 09:53 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/columnists/story.html?id=323d5450-c74f-40dc-be02-c27070ceebae

Many different types of Regina Pats fans

Jana G. Pruden, Leader-Post
Published: Monday, March 31, 2008

Up until now, I've never really been a fan.

Oh, there are things I support and enjoy, of course, but most of them don't lend themselves to true fan behaviour.

I'm a big fan of musical theatre, for instance, but it's not really the type of thing you go out and cheer about.

Similarly, some of my other passions -- eating good cheese, reading, Scrabble -- aren't really scream-and-yell types of events.

But that was before. Now I'm a fan of the Regina Pats hockey team. It's official. I even have a foamy No. 1 hand to prove it.

So far, settling into my newfound fandom has proved to be an interesting experience.

There are so many different kinds of fans, that I've had to give serious thought to what kind of fan I want to be.

I knew from the beginning that I definitely didn't want to be a bandwagon jumper, but I think my husband and I went to enough games during the season to ensure there was no possibility of that.

With that out of the way, there are still so many other fan styles to choose from.

First, and most notably, there is the Illustrated Fan. These people have their fandom written all over their faces -- literally. And it doesn't stop with face paint. Jerseys, flags, pins and other accoutrements are all part of the Illustrated Fan, and having a drum or a megaphone doesn't hurt either. They look like fun, but face paint gives me hives.

Then there are the Commentator Fans. Actually, the Commentators aren't actually fans as much as they are repressed coaches or players. They don't yell or shout during games, they just talk about what they think the team should be doing better. They can usually be heard offering their personal views on the play, criticizing coaching decisions, and saying things like: "Well, he's not going to get in there skating like that," or "They've got to tighten up their defence."

There are also the Interactive Fans, who often have similar sentiments, but instead yell them to the players or coaches, assuming I suppose that the team will take the fan's good advice and skate faster/pass or shoot as the fan has directed.

Fashion Fans are primarily dolled-up young women who spend most of the game checking their hair, text messaging, and talking about which players are cute. Food Fans are actually more interested in the broad array of delicious rink food that can be consumed during the course of a game, and spend a hearty portion of the game walking back and forth to various food stands or thinking about what they are going to eat next. (I actually started out as a Food Fan, and am still very supportive of mini-doughnuts.)

There are the Really Loud Fans, the Come Late and Leave Early Fans, the Anti-Ref Fans, and the Fairweather Fans who cheer like crazy until the team makes a mistake.

After that, it's all sarcasm and scorn.

And lastly, of course, there are the Fan-atics. These diehards put their heart and soul into their team, exulting in every triumph, agonizing in every defeat. These fans are devoted, but they're also a little scary.

After giving the matter some thought, I think I'm going to go for an Unconditionally Supportive, Moderately-Volumed, Foamy Hand-Wearing, Mini-Doughnut-Eating Fan.

Of course, during the playoffs all the fans are united. We all just want the Pats to win -- and that's really something to cheer about.

*Authors Note: Due to Regina Sun publishing deadlines, this column was written just two games in to the Pats series with the Broncos. If the Pats have lost by the time this appears in print, then boo. If they are still in the series, Go Pats!

If you're a fan of e-mailing people who write for the Sun, you can reach Jana at jpruden@leaderpost.canwest.com.

© Leader-Post 2008