PDA

View Full Version : Cool Things About Deano

Scout
03-31-2008, 03:10 PM
Switzer's Blog
Monday, March 31, 2008

Cool Things About Deano

Cool things about Deano. Posts I would make on this blog to counter point the masses when they were calling for Dean Chynoweth to be fired. Not that Dean needed or wanted the defence from me.

Dean Chynoweth is a lesson in perseverance. Deano had a plan when he came to Swift Current. It was a five year plan. Critics where quick to question his motives, his roster choices, some of his trades and his laid back coaching style. In Swift Current it is tough to fly under the radar. I'm sure Dean had to hear the whispers of nay-sayers. Do you think it wasn't tough on his young family? A new baby, a job where the a good portion of the hockey community and fans don't believe in your vision. How many posts on WHLFANS called for a coaching change over the last five years? Most human beings would've packed it in and put the FOR SALE on the front yard.

Not our boy.

Dean stayed the course. He never complained. He had his vision, he (and his players) executed it, and now us fans (and the Bronco bean counters) are reaping the rewards.

Look at the teams that have been eliminated from the playoffs.

Regina: Loaded up all year for a run. Dealt promising prospects, high draft picks and impact players to put their team together.

Moose Jaw: Dealt a first round bantam player and next year's 1st pick to PG for Ty Wishart.

...And now look what Dean did:

While other teams where battling for the shiny toys at the deadline...the Wisharts and the Watts of the world, Dean addressed the team's needs. Dean quite easily won the Bretton Stamler sweepstakes by sending a mid round draft pick to Edmonton. The cost of Jesse Dudas? Our backup goalie. Then we made an upgrade in goal by getting the sure handed Mark Guggenberger...For a mid round bantam pick. We gained much and lost little.

There is getting the best players, and there is getting the right players. Herb Brooks. Not every GM is savvy enough to recognize the right players. Ours is.

Exec of the year? Sure, Kelly Kisio in the bright lights of Calgary is a good choice. Hard to argue with 1st place in a tough conference.

Best executive over the last five years? That's a no brainer.

In Deano we trust

R$

dodywood4ever
03-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Dont you think 5 years is a little long for a plan when an average players career is 3. So we should be looking to 11 year olds right now by that logic. Once again we are expected to be happy making it past the first round once every 5 years. Call me greedy but i expect more than that.

ointhecreek
03-31-2008, 08:07 PM
I think Deano realized how long it would take to rebuild the organization from below ground level where McEwen ran it. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but hasn't Dean only been here 3 years? IMO he has done a hell of a job bringing this franchise back to respectability in those 3 years. Sure I've questioned some of his decisions but thats why he's a GM and I'm a truck driver. I'm just happy we beat Regina and made it to the next round. The boys have given us pretty damn good entertaining hockey this year and our future looks pretty good with Eakin, Dowling, Vause, Brown, Greyeyes, Guggenberger, etc. I guess I'm just not the type of fan that expects a banner every year, as long as I get to watch good, entertaining hockey.

whlfanatic
04-01-2008, 10:56 AM
The Swift fans will be calling for his head again after they get swept 4 straight by Calgary...goes with the job I guess!

hitmanfan
04-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Calgary ices a respectable team every year and most fans are always calling for Kisios' head. Welcome to junior hockey!

dodywood4ever
04-01-2008, 06:35 PM
The Swift fans will be calling for his head again after they get swept 4 straight by Calgary...goes with the job I guess!

I disagree with your prediction of a sweep and question your motives for posting it here. Maybe your fear of a deeper, quicker Bronco squad with better goaltending has you typing things that you know to be foolish?

d-man
04-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Dont you think 5 years is a little long for a plan when an average players career is 3. So we should be looking to 11 year olds right now by that logic. Once again we are expected to be happy making it past the first round once every 5 years. Call me greedy but i expect more than that.
I don't think Dean meant that every five years we have a team go past the first round and that is success. He meant that to rebuild from the absolute horrible situation he was handed that it would take 5 years to build it back up. If anything he's a year ahead of schedule in my book.

Whether you love him or hate him, agree or disagree with him, signed or didn't sign the petition with the success he has had in building this franchise over four years you have to wonder if greener pastures lie ahead for Dean next season.