PDA

View Full Version : To Russia with love

nivek_wahs
04-03-2008, 09:19 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/story.html?id=c46efc78-1bbc-4f14-b8d7-dfaa46674ec6&k=29370

To Russia with love

Regina Pats' Eberle and Teubert to play in under-18 championship
Greg Harder, The Leader-Post

Published: Thursday, April 03, 2008
REGINA -- Jordan Eberle and Colten Teubert aren't ready to call it a season just yet.

While most of their Regina Pats' teammates were headed home for the offseason on Wednesday, Eberle and Teubert were preparing to join Team Canada for the world under-18 hockey championship (April 13-23 in Kazan, Russia).

The national squad will be coached by Pat Quinn, a legendary NHL bench boss who guided Canada to a gold medal at the 2002 Olympics.

"When we ended the season that was a bitter disappointment but it's nice to know your hockey isn't done for the year," said Eberle, adding that "whenever Pat Quinn calls, it's a pretty big deal."

"It's nice to know you're on the team and when I found out he's the coach it's an even bigger opportunity. He has so much experience and he's so well respected. It's going to be an honour to be coached by him. Everything he says, I'm going to be like a sponge absorbing everything."

Quinn phoned Eberle and Teubert personally to inform them they were on the team.

"When he called me he left a voicemail and right after that I called all my friends and said, 'You guys won't guess who just called me,' " said Teubert. "It's pretty cool. I'm excited to see what kind of guy he is and how he coaches. That kind of coach can definitely change a career."

Teubert and Eberle became eligible for the team after Regina was eliminated in the first round of the WHL playoffs.

The Pats' loss was Canada's gain.

Eberle scored 42 goals this season, ranked third in the WHL. The right winger also had a team-high 75 points (in 70 games) and added two goals and four assists in five postseason contests.

Teubert, a 6-foot-4, 185-pound defenceman, recorded seven goals and 23 points in 66 games with 135 penalty minutes. He added one goal and four assists in six playoff outings.

This will be their second tour of duty with the under-18 program after finishing fourth last summer at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament in Slovakia.

"Whenever you go to a tournament like that and you don't do too good, it's disappointing," said Eberle. "We're going to be hungry to bring back the gold medal (this time). Even though we lost we definitely brought home some experience. We're not going to come back with anything but the gold. That's our goal."

It's no surprise that Hockey Canada made the call to Eberle and Teubert, who have been virtually joined at the hip for the past year. Besides the summer under-18 tournament, they were also teammates at the CHL Top Prospects Game and the Canada-Russia ADT Challenge.

They're both expected to be high picks in the 2008 NHL entry draft.

"It's always a pleasure to play with that little guy," chuckled Teubert. "Like I always say, he'll score the goals and I'll try to keep them out of our net.

"I think it's the hardest thing in the world to get us apart from each other. I wouldn't be surprised if we got drafted to the same NHL team. We're always together."

Eberle isn't complaining.

"If it wasn't for him I probably wouldn't be here right now," he added with a laugh. "I'd probably be in the hospital or something. He protects me so much. Guys want to take my head off but he definitely intimidates them.

"Colten is a great guy and it's fun to go through this with him."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2008

CJSenterprise4
04-13-2008, 08:32 PM
doing what he does had 2 goals and 1 assist today in Canada's first round robin game against Germany. Canada won 9-2! Keep up the awesome work boys!

nivek_wahs
04-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Eberle scores 2 as Canada defeats Russia 8-0 in the Gold Medal game.

http://tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=235580&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_main